Author Topic: Walking shoe sizing  (Read 3233 times)

Maggot

Re: Walking shoe sizing
« Reply #15 on: 14:56:29, 09/03/19 »
Fully aware,after all I do read your musings ;D ::)

But you can't seem to find the thread that tells us Scarpa boots are made in China?  Weird eh?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:02:55, 09/03/19 »

But you can't seem to find the thread that tells us Scarpa boots are made in China?  Weird eh?
Nope not weird, just cannot be a£sed to go back through this forum where it mentions the fact that many boots sold as named brands are coming out of chineses factories and into "European Manufacturers" to be branded and boxed.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Maggot

« Reply #17 on: 15:10:14, 09/03/19 »
Nope not weird, just cannot be a£sed to go back through this forum where it mentions the fact that many boots sold as named brands are coming out of chineses factories and into "European Manufacturers" to be branded and boxed.

I haven't actually checked the atlas, but I am pretty sure Romania (where Scarpa manufacture approx 35% of their boots) isn't a province of China.  The other 65% are produced in Asolo in Italy, again not a region of China as far as I am aware.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:33:41, 09/03/19 »
I listened to a Radio 4 programme last year that explained that often, one factory will produce Left shoes and boots only, whilst another produces the Right shoe and boot only and they are not necessarily both in the same country either. That took me by surprise. In a global capitalist world I can appreciate anything can come from anywhere. Even if they are wholly from the UK (which I doubt) that doesn't mean to say they are any better or any worse than from anywhere else. I'm a consumer, I buy and like to buy at the best price. I may have a bit of remorse but soon forget, just like everyone else!

Litehiker

« Reply #19 on: 03:44:14, 10/03/19 »
BTW, I must mention that after I began using SOLE brand thermal fitted insoles I never had another blister on the bottom of my feet - ever.

These insoles cost US $40. and are worth every penny. They come in three thicknesses and are very durable, being tased to a new pair of walking shoes or boots as the original wears out.

Closely follow the instructions on how to heat them and how to mould them.

And this "elder of the tribe" has one more boot comfort tip for full leather boots. When new fill them with warm (not hot) water in a bathtub. Let them sit in the tub for 30 minutes. Drain well and put them on with your hiking socks. Then walk around for 1 hour in the wet boots (in your house or an indoor mall) to be sure they are going to fit well. If they absolutely do not fit properly they can be thoroughly dried and returned in "like new" condition.

The water soaking break-in is faster and more hygienic and definitely less painful than trying to "sweat them in" on the trail with moisture from your sweaty feet.

Eric B.

Ronin83

« Reply #20 on: 12:13:23, 18/06/19 »
Sorry its a bit late to drag this thread back., but...
I'm the one who posted a website which showed boots made in China as kind of white label products.
It seems (though I'm not definite) that brands will buy a white label design, adapt it then maybe produce it themselves to some extent somewhere else. So changing the generic Chinese waterproof lining for gtx, the rubber sole for vibram.

I contacted this Chinese company, who belonged to a bigger corporation, and enquired about ordering a pair. I can't remember exactly what they said now, but it is possible. I'll check my emails again.

Ronin83

« Reply #21 on: 12:18:33, 18/06/19 »
The brand is Hanagal. They have a shop on alibaba. It seems they didnt have the ones I asked about but offered some others for 100usd.
Also on their photos I notice lots of their boots have vibram soles and sympatex lining.
Could be some massive savings to make on some quality footwear there

Litehiker

« Reply #22 on: 07:32:27, 19/06/19 »
This my appear as a no-brainer to many but...

Decades ago I discovered that the comfortable hiking shoes/boots I had were absolutely too narrow for backpacking. A day with a 25 to 30 lb. pack spread my feet so that the next days I had blisters forming between my toes. Aaaarrrggghhh!

Since that agonizing week on the Appalachian Trail I have always bought shoes in one size wider than my normal shoes.

Eric B.

P.S. Since I began using heat moulded insoles (SOLE brand) I have never had a blister or event beginning of a blister on the soles of my feet. Yes, they are spendy at US $45. a pair but well worth it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy