Author Topic: VR/ Outdoor Active  (Read 3105 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: VR/ Outdoor Active
« Reply #15 on: 12:08:32, 18/03/21 »
I don't find paper maps easy to use when the weather turns against me, they never tell me me when I'm straying off course, they don't buddy with my family to let them know where I am ...

Agree, I've used my GPS as my primary nav aid with VR on my phone as a backup for over 10 years now.  I also find with a pre planned route on my GPS I have far more time to enjoy what's around me as the GPS does all the heavy lifting on the nav side  :)

I well remember the days when I just carried a map and compass with no thought of a back up in case my map was blown away or I left it behind.  Did that once with my GPS but was only about 20m away when I realised something was missing, but if I hadn't I had my electronic back up on my phone. Had I left my map behind I'd have been stuffed  O0

Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:13:59, 18/03/21 »
The way I look at it is that if it is good enough for you Sussamb then it's good enough for me :D
Too little, too late, too bad......

Little Foot

« Reply #17 on: 14:25:09, 18/03/21 »
I got all excited then, thinking there was a hiking Virtual Reality experience I was missing out on.  :-[

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:39:25, 18/03/21 »
I got all excited then, thinking there was a hiking Virtual Reality experience I was missing out on.  :-[

;D

Don't worry LF you're not the only one
Skip

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:15:58, 18/03/21 »
I asked a guy a decade ago if I was on the correct pathway at the time and he showed me his Cat phone with OS maps on it .
To say I was impressed was an understatement . I could see straight away the value of that technology .

I have used phones since but they always felt too big and clumsy for me . I know some people love them though .

I now use an Etrex 20x and yes I agree with Jimbob ..everything that Sussamb says about the little Garmins has rang and continuously rings true in a positive way .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:58:10, 18/03/21 »
The way I look at it is that if it is good enough for you Sussamb then it's good enough for me :D

;D O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

Kev06

« Reply #21 on: 18:59:49, 18/03/21 »
I still like a big paper map for planning, a laptop-sized monitor isn't too bad but I'd never then walk anywhere remote without a hard copy anyway. Though usually just as a backup, as I've really taken to using a mobile device when out and about - partly because of the GPS and partly because the zoom is helpful with my eyesight.

But fundamentally it is the OS mapping that I'm a fan of, whatever the media or technology behind it. I also do a lot of walking on infrequently used paths in relatively domesticated landscapes (i.e. with lots of boundaries), so appreciate the 1:25,000 scale in particular. And need it to work without an internet connection, since even within spitting distance of major towns and cities phone coverage can be pathetic, let alone out in the middle of nowhere.

So personally I'm thinking of moving to OS's own apps. Their electronic subscription is tempting for geographical flexibility, whilst the map+code purchasing system seems to offer the best of both hard/soft-copy worlds (without needing a decent printer). The relative cost could be hugely different though, depending on how many new maps would be needed each year and how many years one might need them for.
« Last Edit: 19:05:20, 18/03/21 by Kev06 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:48:21, 20/03/21 »
I must be a bit of a Luddite at heart, but I have loved pouring over maps from an early age, and I do like the mental challenge that navigating with a map and compass gives, rather than just being told where to place my next step by a Turing Machine. Having said that, I wouldn't be too proud to take a look at my phone if I really did get myself seriously lost.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Kev06

« Reply #23 on: 14:12:50, 20/03/21 »
Yes I can understand that; the mobile device 'works' very well but in some ways it is less satisfying to use. Though I should point out that you don't need to actually be directed by them unless you want to, I just use it like a map but with a 'you are here' marker.

It depends on the type of walking and obviously personal preference, but normally I like to make my choices whilst actually out walking and seeing the options in the landscape. Pre-planning specific routes or being directed to follow them isn't my personal cup of tea.

Which is perhaps partly why so many replacements for viewranger seem a bit costly, I'm really not interested in a lot of the extra functionality they offer to justify their price. Something of a Luddite too, probably.
« Last Edit: 14:17:59, 20/03/21 by Kev06 »

Little Foot

« Reply #24 on: 09:23:24, 21/03/21 »
;D

Don't worry LF you're not the only one

My son has an Oculus Quest wireless VR headset which is a fantastic bit of kit. I went on YouTube and looked up VR walking vids and there are some from people using 360° cameras, so giving a VR experience. I think I was about 10 mins in before the camera guy walked up to the edge of a cliff and looked over. Felt very sick instantly.  :buck2:

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:00:47, 21/03/21 »
In this instance and on this thread VR is Viewranger  O0
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:47:04, 22/03/21 »
Okay, kind of related to this topic in a not really sort of way but... I've just discovered that you can't search your VR tracks by name.  Yes you can filter and sort them, just not search.  Has this always been the case?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:58:24, 22/03/21 »
You can search roures by location or by author.  What are you trying to achieve?
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:05:11, 22/03/21 »
I was looking for when I last did my South Cave / Drewton Wold walk.  A Track recording of the actual walk.  It just surprised me there doesn't seem to be that kind of search function available.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:53:41, 22/03/21 »
Mel, well spotted, I've been using VR for a while now and never noticed that. I've just checked and you're correct.

I always give miy tracks names so that they're sorted alphabetically in a way I call logical but others may think stupid. However if I feel I want to use them again then I edit them so that they're exactly as I want them, then convert them to Routes. So in essence I don't have that many tracks stored in VR.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy