Author Topic: TR Dunwich, Suffolk  (Read 1178 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
TR Dunwich, Suffolk
« on: 18:47:07, 22/06/20 »
Today was our first walk near the coast other than a quick stroll along the prom in Felixstowe whilst visiting my mum. We’ve been trying to keep to less busy walks after being allowed to travel and decided the initial rush might be over and it was a Monday not a weekend. We did try and pre-book the NT car park at Dunwich Heath as we’re members but the first few slots all this week were taken and we weren’t prepared to wait until 12 so decided to park at Dunwich beach car park and walk from there.

It’s a 6.5 mile figure of 8 walk that heads away from the beach and down the main street past the Ship Inn and the church. It then follows the Sandlings Walk for a short distance before turning left and crossing a minor road then heading across Dunwich Heath and picks up the Sandlings Walk again before heading east to the coast and the Coastguard cottages.

We had our first takeaway coffee here since before lockdown and sat overlooking Minsmere Nature reserve with Sizewell nuclear power station in the distance.

After a very long wait for the loos (going behind a tree or bush didn’t seem an option on heathland with a few people about!), we headed back across the heath. The heather is starting to come out, you can see the coastguard cottages in the distance.

After bearing right where we left the path earlier we then head through woods along Dunwich cliffs following the Suffolk Coast Path (the path is more inland now due to erosion) and past the ruins of Greyfriars friary back to the beach. You can just see Southwold lighthouse in the distance.

The weather was ideal, sunny, warm and a nice breeze. Not too many people about in the middle of the walk, but more than would be usual for a Monday at either end near the car parks. We often do a longer walk when we head to Dunwich as we’re often in training for a LDW so it’s a while since we’ve done this one, although we’ve done bits of it.
imagehosting

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Dunwich, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: 19:20:46, 22/06/20 »
That looks lovely RR.  A really nice varied walk  :)

Can't believe the heather's coming out though  :o   Too soon, too soon!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:24:11, 22/06/20 »
Very nice RR  O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:31:40, 22/06/20 »
Good stuff, nice to see the coast  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:36:57, 22/06/20 »
Nice pics RR  O0

Crikey, parking slot bookings  :) I didn't realise you could do that  :)
Hate will never win

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:20:18, 24/06/20 »
Thanks all.

Can't believe the heather's coming out though  :o   Too soon, too soon!
I’m sure we went there when the kids were small on an August Bank Holiday and the heather was out then. Mind you that was 25 odd years ago. It definitely is out earlier these days!

Crikey, parking slot bookings  :) I didn't realise you could do that  :)
The National Trust are doing that at all their properties where they’re opening up the grounds/gardens. Only trouble is you have to prebook by 3pm the day before. I usually remember at about 8pm!  ;D  They’re also charging a lot for just being able to go around the grounds! If we weren't members we wouldn’t go.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:50:27, 24/06/20 »
They’re also charging a lot for just being able to go around the grounds! If we weren't members we wouldn’t go.
I think that is deliberate. I heard that they can't only open to members due to how their charitable status is framed. But they can keep quiet about when they are taking booking and charge enough to put people off.

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:14:20, 27/06/20 »
Great pics, just love the Suffolk Coastline! O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:56:57, 27/06/20 »
I imagine the coffee tasted really fine after such a nice walk and after such a long time too.  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:08:49, 29/06/20 »
Another nice stroll with clear pics  O0

Even given the southerly latitude, heather out three weeks into June??  :o We used to time our heather walks for early August.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:28:27, 30/06/20 »
Lovely heathland and beach. An area of the England that I don't know at all, so thanks for posting  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:45:35, 30/06/20 »
Lovely walk by the looks of it - love the beach shot.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:12:58, 30/06/20 »
Even given the southerly latitude, heather out three weeks into June??  :o We used to time our heather walks for early August.

One species of heather starting to come out in the South Lakes, too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Booga

« Reply #13 on: 18:14:12, 14/07/20 »
Lovely pics! My family used to holiday in Southwold when I was younger and I remember visiting Dunwich a few times. The history of the area and it's erosion is fascinating. There was a gravestone near the cliff edge the first time we visited and when we returned the following year it had gone.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy