Author Topic: What walks have you got planned?  (Read 12244 times)

MartinN

What walks have you got planned?
« on: 12:37:20, 04/10/06 »
For myself I'm off to the lake District in November and then next year, probably Jan or Feb off to do the WHW. In the summer would like to get back out to the French Alps for a week to do more of the GR5 or explore above Cham.

What have you got planned for the next 12 months?

I would be interested to know if you do any training for your trips as well?

Thanks

Martin

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: What walks have you got planned?
« Reply #1 on: 21:15:44, 04/10/06 »
Well hopefully were going to do the Ribble way at some point either this year or early nxt year but just done the Yorkshire  three peaks at the weekend and this weekend were of to do Thor's Cave which should be good. Than after that were off to do Cadir idris so got a few things planned also fancy doing the cuckoo way which is only 46 miles from chesterfield to West Stockwith if you fancy a short walk and only got a few days to spare. But that about it just a few things   
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

WindyPorts

« Reply #2 on: 12:03:07, 21/10/06 »
I haven't really got much planned until next spring.

I'm planning to do a week of walking in Snowdonia in April, and then going on an organised holiday in Morocco in July.

I'm looking forward to both, and considering the week in Wales as "training" for Morocco.

I'll be trying to do a few weekend walks over the Winter, too, to keep my fitness up.

What sort of training do you do?

Deerplay

« Reply #3 on: 23:50:32, 21/10/06 »
I plan to do Cautley Spout and the Calf (Howgills) and Blencathra (lakes) next week. Over winter I will mostly be walking locally, Thievley Pike, Lad Law, Pendle and that kind of thing. I will be going to the Alps skiing and cycling and swimming to keep fit. Next summer thinking about Hadrians Wall and lady Ann Clifford Way
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

MartinN

« Reply #4 on: 12:56:01, 24/10/06 »
Hi Windyport

Sounds like you've got some good trips planned.

As for the training that rather depends on what time I have available. At weekends I try to get up onto the Ridgeway twice for around 2-4 hours at a time. During the week if its light enough when I get home theres a hill close by that I reps on. Always take my 60L rucksack packed full. Sometimes try to run at lunchtime at work, (which is not nice as there is no shower) and now trying to get back into bouldering.

Just over a month until I get up to the Lake District, can't wait.

ATB

Martin

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:07:13, 24/10/06 »
Planned to do  the Lady Anne Clifford, way as it  sounds intresting it starts of at Skipton castle were she was born and ends up were she dies at Penrith, Brougham Castle and it takes in all of the castle she owes i also would like to do scarfell pike again and some scrambling around there. Just done the three peaks (Yorkshire).  Hopefully going to do the ribble way and the cuckoo way also would like to the ridgeway at some point within the next year i fancy camping on top of Ben Nevis for a few days in the winter time which should be fun.
« Last Edit: 18:49:41, 24/10/06 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:53:22, 16/04/07 »
So a new year new plans.  What are we all upto this year than and if we done any already post it here i done lot and will up date. You as i have just finished work.now

clean it bin it

tracey777

« Reply #7 on: 21:25:12, 16/04/07 »
Hi,

Well I'm quite lucky as I live only 20 minutes away from a beautiful National Park so I can often go on many spur of the moment walks.

I haven't done much walking in the UK as I moved out to Hungary a few years ago, I love it here....it is just so beautiful. I wish everyone could come and see it and realise what a gem it is here, quiet, not to many tourists, clean, good fresh air and untouched.

If you need any more info please just ask.

Anyway, I will be back in the Uk in the summer and would like to do a 3-4 hour walk somewhere within an hours drive of Northampton. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
T
join me for walking/riding adventures in beautiful Northern Hungary

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:09:13, 17/04/07 »
Bank holiday were off down to wales for a few days doing the houseshoe and Cadir idris hopefully going to stay the night in the bothy and on the last day  doing something else not sure what like.  Can't wait i got loads off weekend off coming up so for me a great chance to get out there.  Hope the the weather good for it.

clean it bin it

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:41:02, 17/04/07 »
Next walk is again an easy one. Taking in a few caves and stone circles. Plus it's about 90 minutes on the western leg then back to the car, then about the same on the eastern leg and back to the car. So should be able to travel light.

Harthill and Stanton moor is the location.

We're varying things at the mo, to get some walking where there are other things to see as well as the challenge and the views.

Working well so far.

Edale and Castleton after that and later in the year the North Yorkshire Moors and Dales for a week. Still not decided on the Ladder yet for Edale and Castleton.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:51:53, 18/04/07 »
Dazza, you lucky devil!

I'd love to be able to take in a walk that links up stone circles, but not much of that around Yorkshire way.  I did a strange little walk last weekend (around Flamborough, East Yorks) that linked a stone monolith with an 18th C 'temple' (Carnaby temple, folly built in 1770), a nice amble.

Next bank holiday weekend, I'm taking a pal of mine over the last forty miles of the Wolds Way, I'm hoping to do 20 miles a day - for me this is some achievement, but I only have three days to play with and want to have at least one day to recover before going back to work.

Am out this weekend as well, a circular walk, only 8 miles or so, but I'm taking my two little boys with me (4 & 6) and so want to do something mild :)

Crag Rat

« Reply #11 on: 13:38:04, 18/04/07 »
Tracey777, there are plenty of good walks around the Northamptonshire area (I live in Northampton).  The Lyveden Way is a good 9-10 mile jaunt (detailed PDF here http://www.gnn.gov.uk/imagelibrary/detail.asp?MediaDetailsID=127354 [nofollow]).

There's also some intesting walks around Naseby (lots of history etc) too.  You also have the Grand Union Canal and I can recommend walking some of this (Blisworth to Cosgrove is a good stretch) although it really depends on whether you're looking for a linear or circular walk.

Give me some more detail and I'll try to recommend something.
....because it's there....

cow2007

« Reply #12 on: 14:52:23, 18/04/07 »
Ive got the West Higland Way coming up in July, really lokking forward as its my first long distance walk. Planning to do it in 5 maybe 6 days then Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Deag at the end if we're not dead ;D

Had a weekend in Northumberland earlier this year - did some pretty awesome walks around the Border Ridge and Windy Gyle. Beautiful part of the world.

Dazza - Edale and Castleton  :) :) love it.

Cheers
Cow2007

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:23:54, 18/04/07 »
Ive got the West Higland Way coming up in July, really lokking forward as its my first long distance walk. Planning to do it in 5 maybe 6 days then Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Deag at the end if we're not dead ;D

Had a weekend in Northumberland earlier this year - did some pretty awesome walks around the Border Ridge and Windy Gyle. Beautiful part of the world.

Dazza - Edale and Castleton  :) :) love it.

Cheers
Cow2007

Yeah I like it too, but been years (like 20) since I was last there.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:38:46, 18/04/07 »
Dazza, you lucky devil!

I'd love to be able to take in a walk that links up stone circles, but not much of that around Yorkshire way. 

Am out this weekend as well, a circular walk, only 8 miles or so, but I'm taking my two little boys with me (4 & 6) and so want to do something mild :)

Living slap bang in the middle of the country does have some advantages. Derbyshire Dales practically on the doorstep, South Yorks not far either. The lakes obviously are a different story.

Given that Yorkshire is absolutely huge, the walk I describe in 'Right then' is a few miles south west of Sheffield. The walk we're going to do is further south (but not by much) near Darley Dale. The Nine Ladies stone circle is to the East and to the West is a less famous, but more impressive, one (pity it looks like you can't actually go right up to it). I'll post the pics when weve done it.

One walk around Lathkill we came very close to Arbor Low but didn't even realise!

If you haven't seen many stone circles I guess you've not seen many sights like below.

There was a campfire in the middle of the circle and it's near vehicle access so I guess they stayed the night. Obviously someone is wishing for a baby (thankfully they didn't leave any evidence of their attempts). The offering was left at the western principal stone so it get the morning sun. And if I've got that dead wrong apologies all round.

Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy