Author Topic: Killer Convex  (Read 5784 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Killer Convex
« on: 11:36:45, 18/02/18 »
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Killer Convex
« Reply #1 on: 18:08:23, 18/02/18 »
Sad news Phil  :(

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

tom83

« Reply #2 on: 18:49:52, 18/02/18 »
One of the lads on a facebook group I follow tried Snowdon yesterday and turned back at 3000ft. He said he saw the Helicopter out, and had heard rumours about the fall.

I was considering Snowdon in the near future, but I think I will leave it for a few weeks.

Sad news for those involved, especially the climbers family.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:38:44, 19/02/18 »
Very sad.
We were just above that very spot on Thursday. The slope was hard and wind-polished and despite requiring axe and crampons, people were going across on all fours!
We spoke to a ranger who was politely trying in vain to dissuade ill-equipped people from continuing.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:50:52, 19/02/18 »
Would permanent warning notices help, one at either end of that section? Perhaps saying you have been warned and you proceed at your own risk. And maybe more general notices at the start of each of the major routes?
I know it's yet more "taming of the wilderness" but if it helps to save another life.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:01:10, 19/02/18 »
I very much doubt that any warning signs would deter most keen walkers, intent on reaching the summit of Snowdon.
Granted most of them do not see the danger before them, and those experienced enough are probably hellbent on reaching the summit come what may, and think that an accident will never happen to them.
Its impossible to lecture to people who do not know the associated risks of climbing such a high mountain in the grips of winter.

The wearing of costly crampons and the carrying of an axe, is something you do in the Alps, and after all, countless thousands of people reach the summit every year, so what is the danger.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:20:01, 19/02/18 »
Exactly,  "there's a cafe up there, how hard could it be?".

Interesting article here about it, 9 years old! but still sadly relevant:  https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/recent_deaths_on_snowdon-1653
Not all those who wander are lost

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy