Author Topic: Pennine Way and the price of a pint  (Read 24550 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way and the price of a pint
« Reply #45 on: 19:24:00, 25/03/20 »
Just had our first accommodation cancellation. Alston YH is closed until 31st July.

Coronavirus and lockdown is now on the banned list  :(
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 20:32:11, 25/03/20 »
Even if we have to put it off for a while we will do it some time, some how. After all we have already postponed once for 4 years.
We have camping gear if there is no other way I was just hoping to avoid carrying so much weight all that way.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 13:05:32, 26/03/20 »
Mrs R has just jokingly suggested that we can still walk the Pennine Way as we will only be exercising once a day.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 13:13:24, 26/03/20 »
Fingers crossed you get to do this before the end of summer - so many plans on hold.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 22:44:50, 26/03/20 »
Mrs R has just jokingly suggested that we can still walk the Pennine Way as we will only be exercising once a day.
But are you walking from home to get to the start?  ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 07:44:07, 27/03/20 »
But are you walking from home to get to the start?  ;D
Good point RR  :)

Had an email from YHA all the hostels are closing until 31st July  :(

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 09:56:28, 27/03/20 »
Good point RR  :)

Had an email from YHA all the hostels are closing until 31st July  :(
Yesterday one scientist was saying that people should be able to go on hoilday in August provided everything goes as planned.Mid to late September would be better on the PW as the kids have gone back to school and there is a chance of the weather being a bit more settled.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 21:00:25, 27/03/20 »
Mid to late September would be better on the PW as the kids have gone back to school and there is a chance of the weather being a bit more settled.
Not sure I'm going to have much choice on the dates but we'll do it some time even if it means taking the tent with us. Or should I say even if it means my son carrying the tent, I used to have the heavier rucksack when he just had a packet of crisps in his so now it's payback.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 22:31:52, 27/03/20 »
Are you sure you are going the right way?  I looked the route on my wall map today and it is definitely downhill N to S.  In fact it is practically vertical.
Solvitur Ambulando

forest view

« Reply #54 on: 13:03:08, 01/04/20 »
Hope that we can hang on until you can all come back. Joyce
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 13:20:49, 01/04/20 »
Hope that we can hang on until you can all come back. Joyce
Hi Joyce

If at all possible we will be with you on 3rd & 4th July. If not all the accommodation is open we will camp some nights on the way up so long as there are enough places for us to get supplies.

I hope you are OK and that the governments schemes can help keep you afloat.

Ridge

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 11:15:37, 04/05/20 »
Slowly more and more of our accommodation is cancelling, currently 6 out of 16 nights have gone.

forest view

« Reply #57 on: 12:17:30, 04/05/20 »
A great number of the hoteliers and B&Bers are elderly so will be sheilding for a minimum of 12 weeks including us so by the time we get to a relatively safe level of infections in the wider community we can`t think about letting a steady stream of folks from all over the country pass through our homes it`s sad but necessary to keep the Pennine way viable long term. It has been there for 55 years it will still be there next year. Lots of our 2020 guests have transfered their bookings exactly one year forward and sadly others who have been financially impacted have had to put it on hold indefinately. There are notices on the Pennine way telling people to go home and the local police are checking. At the start there were times when several cars were meeting in the car park in Byrness and getting out to walk together they were persuaded to go home by some of the younger residents of the village who are sheilding their elderly relatives but thankfully it looks as though the gov. message is now being followed. The longer we keep this up the sooner we can get back to the ``new normal``  . Joyce
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 13:33:36, 04/05/20 »
Ah, I guess my 2 nights at Forest View are cancelled then?
That's 8 nights still booked and 8 cancelled.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 16:49:26, 04/05/20 »
Hi Ridge

I live in Durham which is a great place to live for walks, aren't most places though!

I know I'm not exactly on the doorstep of the Pennine Way but if I can help you out in anyway let me know.

Obviously the current restrictions aren't going to last forever.

What's your plan, at the moment? Everyone likes a good plan! Friends have planned a round the world car trip over two years, even been to night classes to learn Russian.... plans all dashed!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy