Author Topic: SWCP - Land's End to Lyme Regis - account  (Read 12887 times)

AFANASIEW

Re: SWCP - Land's End to Lyme Regis - account
« Reply #45 on: 21:36:34, 19/07/18 »
I used my SATMAP to record distance and ascent...

At least yours only gave you a 16% error as against my 50-60% on the Viewranger app.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #46 on: 08:20:13, 20/07/18 »

Instead of walking the SWCP at the start why not go through the centre of Cornwall? 

Harland, my retirement project was initially to be the SWCP, until I changed my mind in favour of LEJOG - hence doing Land's End to Minehead at the start to complete the SWCP. Plus it's simpler - I did start planning to walk up the middle of Cornwall, but found it fiddly.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 09:40:41, 20/07/18 »
Even more reason to take it easy at the start as the northern coast of the SWCP is "a bit undulating"! ;D

AFANASIEW

« Reply #48 on: 10:05:45, 20/07/18 »
Even more reason to take it easy at the start as the northern coast of the SWCP is "a bit undulating"! ;D

:)  Make or break! Do that, you can do the rest as it's (almost) all downhill!

AFANASIEW

« Reply #49 on: 13:48:54, 20/07/18 »

Let us know when you are starting and if you are able update us frequently as, if you are OK with it, some of us may like a day or so walking with you if you are close to our home.

As it stands, Harland, I'm likely to set of on 25/05/19, and finish in mid-August. What part of the world are you in?
« Last Edit: 13:52:37, 20/07/18 by AFANASIEW »

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 15:04:27, 20/07/18 »
North Yorkshire, so pretty close to parts of the Pennine Way for the stretch between Hawes and Middleton-in-Teesdale that I could reach by car fairly easily - not sure how to get back to the car again but I could work something out either by letting my better half go shopping and pick me up or leave you before the end and walk back!  Not looking to "burden" you with my company for the entire stretch but a day out would be good.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #51 on: 15:33:46, 01/11/18 »

Let us know when you are starting and if you are able update us frequently as, if you are OK with it, some of us may like a day or so walking with you if you are close to our home.
As things stand, Harland, and if my legs endure, I'm due to reach Hawes on 13/07 next year, take a rest day there, then on to the Tan Hill Inn on 15/07 and Middleton the next day.
If it helps, I've used the bus service along Swaledale before to return, circuitously, to Haworth after a 5-day expedition with the family.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #52 on: 15:37:18, 01/11/18 »
For those that have taken a kind interest in my travelling travails, they're brought together in an e-book 'The Hiking Obsession', uner the pen name 'Andrew Beard'.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 15:37:48, 01/11/18 »
You are well prepared already, obviously we will chat/message before then to check on progress.  When are you starting?

AFANASIEW

« Reply #54 on: 16:11:20, 01/11/18 »
When are you starting?
I've put the start date back to 31/05.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #55 on: 22:32:26, 13/12/18 »
Latest update on preparations for LEJOG:https://whiteacorns.wordpress.com/2018/12/13/ready-for-lejog-or-am-i/
Have you come across anyone who's completed LEJOG/JOGLE post-retirement? I'd be interested in their experience and, in particular, how their legs fared.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 09:40:11, 14/12/18 »
Whilst I completed LEJOG after my retirement, I did it in stages LE > Minehead > Chirk > Edale > Kirk Yetholm > Milngavie > Inverness > JOG.  Not the straightest line but it kept me off road and on National Trails for a good way.  In answer to your question re legs, having walked the 630 mile SWCP in one go my legs were absolutely fine.  By the end I had high muscle definition especially the thighs and front calf muscles.  Feet (toes and heels) needed attention but Compeed kept me going without too much trouble. 

The things to take care of fairly obviously are your "mental state", take one day at a time.  Don't think of all the miles ahead of you, reduce the weight of your rucksack whilst ensuring that you walk "carefully" so that your hips don't take too much pressure - don't jump from one rock to another!

Mike age 71!

AFANASIEW

« Reply #57 on: 10:37:00, 14/12/18 »
I did it in stages LE > Minehead > Chirk > Edale > Kirk Yetholm > Milngavie > Inverness > JOG
Mike, that seems to match my route - did you do around 1,270 miles? How long between stages? Did you camp?
My leg muscles are ok, in fact, if anything, the podiatrist seems to think that over-development of the calf muscles unaccompanied by stretching exercises has contributed to tight tendons.
Tony

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 11:16:55, 14/12/18 »
In total the mileage I walked including getting to and from B&Bs was 1,305 miles.  I carried a tent, but didn't need it, on the SWCP but used B&Bs/Youth Hostels etc for the rest.  I walked one leg a year, I didn't set off to walk LEJOG but just the National Trails - having walked a few I just filled in the bits in between.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy