Author Topic: TV series - 'The Lakes with Paul Rose'  (Read 3925 times)

One F

TV series - 'The Lakes with Paul Rose'
« on: 16:31:44, 11/07/18 »
A new 4 part series on the Lake District, 'The Lakes with Paul Rose', starting (in the North of England) Friday July 20th on BBC1 .Available on iPlayer for a month after the initial screening and will be shown nationally (I think on BBC2) in the autumn.

Went along to a preview last night at Kendal Brewery Arts Centre where 2 of the 4 episodes were shown, followed by questions and answers with Paul Rose and the BBC Producer - Paul ?? (apologies but can't remember his full name). Thoroughly enjoyed the evening , the 2 episodes were fascinating insights into a lot more of and about the Lakes than is usually shown, including archive footage of some old fella called Millican Dalton and his alternative lifestyle in Borrowdale.

First episode on BBC1 Friday July 20th.

The BBC and Paul Rose are currently filming a programme on the Yorkshire Dales, which should be available for viewing next Spring and the possibility of a follow up to the Lakes series wasn't ruled out either.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: TV series - 'The Lakes with Paul Rose'
« Reply #1 on: 09:25:02, 12/07/18 »
Cheers for the head up on this One F.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:35:09, 12/07/18 »
Sounds great viewing, thank you. Have set myself a reminder to watch it.  O0

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:56:13, 08/10/18 »
A new 4 part series on the Lake District, 'The Lakes with Paul Rose', starting (in the North of England) Friday July 20th on BBC1

Went along to a preview last night at Kendal Brewery Arts Centre .....................fascinating insights into a lot more of and about the Lakes than is usually shown, including archive footage of some old fella called Millican Dalton and his alternative lifestyle in Borrowdale.

Who ??

;D   ;D   ;D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:22:39, 09/10/18 »
Actually, we ended up not watching all of this - I think we gave up part way through the first episode when we realised it was in a similar vein to his series about the Pennine Way, which we watched most of but also gave up on before the final episode.

I'd never heard of Paul Rose before the PW programmes so his name didn't register with me when this was announced.

Like those PW programmes, I found this padded out with too much peripheral stuff and there wasn't enough about the actual landscape, its wildlife and its history for me.  :-\ 

tenmilesplus

« Reply #5 on: 00:32:33, 11/10/18 »
I like this bloke, he has done some different types of programme alongside his walking, Coastal / Mountain / Railway etc but you're right, there just is too much about 'other stuff' rather than the surroundings v experience.. Andrew White and his walks around Britain programme is a proper job..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:52:38, 11/10/18 »
I like this bloke, he has done some different types of programme alongside his walking, Coastal / Mountain / Railway etc but you're right, there just is too much about 'other stuff' rather than the surroundings v experience.. Andrew White and his walks around Britain programme is a proper job..
I quite like both.
Andrew is a lot less 'well produced' - just a straightforward DIY production with no frills.
By chance, Mrs I and me were walking into York during the summer and could see Andrew approaching us. I didn't give Mrs I the chance to stop me and as we passed I halted and said hello and thanked him for his walking guides.
Apart from the look of surprise (presumably he has such a small audience he can wander around un-noticed) I think he was pleased that he'd been recognised.
The clue was the chap with him was carrying a big fury microphone !
Mrs I was duly embarrassed  ;D

Geoffrey Winthrop Young

tenmilesplus

« Reply #7 on: 00:58:46, 11/10/18 »
Andrew also replies to messages on Walks around Britain FB page.. what a Gent.. He does seem very approachable, I had an interesting chat with him on FB about his beginnings and his approach.. Michael Portillo on the other hand was the Polar opposite when I almost quite literally bumped into him at Windermere Train station.. His film crew were prepared to say hello but seemed embarrassed when MP stared at the floor and pushed passed me.. I no likey him...
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 01:20:19, 11/10/18 »
.. Michael Portillo on the other hand was the Polar opposite when I almost quite literally bumped into him at Windermere Train station.. His film crew were prepared to say hello but seemed embarrassed when MP stared at the floor and pushed passed me.. I no likey him...

I was never impressed with MP following one of his first forays into documentary films, when he lived in a 'normal' house in Hull (I think it was) - to see how life on benefits really is.
Midway through the week he had a meal at the home of the family he was 'following', after the lady of the house gave him the money to buy something for the evening meal.
He grandly produced a bottle of wine, which at £10+ he felt was a treat they deserved. The lady blew her top and said that the wine accounted for a considerable amount of the money she has to live on each week (something like 1/4 of the weekly budget).
MP couldn't see her point and insisted she'd be better off appreciating a decent drop of wine. Clearly a case of no idea how the other half live.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:39:22, 11/10/18 »
Yes, Paul Rose seems like a nice enough bloke. I think the style of the show is just not for me.

I don't think I've seen any of the Andrew White programmes, so thanks both for the heads up about him. I'll have to keep an eye out for repeats.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:25:33, 11/10/18 »
We enjoyed the Paul Rose programmes we've seen, Lakes and SWCP (I think). I haven't seen the Andrew White programmes either, I will see if I can see them on catch up  :)
Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:32:40, 11/10/18 »
To be honest, I prefer to go onto sites like Youtube and watch video diaries about the long distance walks rather than these kind of TV shows. Yes, they can have their scenic moments but I have no interest in some of the content which is usually a few miles from the trail and have no relevance to the walk itself e.g. making pork pies or seeing how some cake is made in a bakers "nearby".

I have plenty of interest however in eating the aforementioned pork pies and cakes  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:36:08, 11/10/18 »
http://www.walksaroundbritain.co.uk/ondemand

This may work for anyone interested  O0
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:40:48, 11/10/18 »
http://www.walksaroundbritain.co.uk/ondemand

This may work for anyone interested  O0

Thanks for that, Innominate Man. I see from that webpage that there are some episodes on YouTube so I'll check those out when I get chance.  :) 

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:58:20, 11/10/18 »
Yes, Paul Rose seems like a nice enough bloke. I think the style of the show is just not for me.

There was an interview with him in a recent edition of Trail (magazine). My opinion of him took a turn for the better when he commented that he likes a good pint of bitter  O0

We came across his programme quite by chance: - one evening we were watching Tony Robinson doing a documentary from the Lakes (I think it was part of a series - possibly about the C2C walk). It was so bad we started flicking through the channels and by chance there was PR, also in the Lakes, but 100% better than Tony Robinson's effort.
He was enthusiastic and down to earth & genuinely interested in what people were telling him.
Completely the opposite of TR who couldn't even feign interest to save his life.
Needless to say we never re-joined TR with his C2C documentary.

Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy