Author Topic: Tiny TR of Herts walk  (Read 610 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Tiny TR of Herts walk
« on: 08:47:31, 18/08/20 »
Yesterdays walk was following  route I did loads of times at the beginning of lockdown. It is my favourite walk that I can do without getting in the car and, as I was a bit pushed for time, I didn't really want to add on the extra 40+ mins each way to get somewhere nicer.
Route - Cockfosters, Northaw, Cuffley, Crews Hill, Cockfosters. A touch over 17 miles.

I was out by 7.30 and it was a very misty morning. I stopped for a brief chat with a dog walker where we agreed it looked like October, though it was already starting to get quite warm.

The sun wasn't managing to burn off the murk and it felt like walking in a greenhouse.

I came to a sign on a bridle way saying it was closed for resurfacing for 6 months. I guess they want to allow some leeway but to close a path for 6 months when there is no PROW alternative feels excessive. All they are doing is compressing some chippings.
Last time I was here the signs were up but I pressed on. This time there was evidence of work so I took evasive action through a small wood and then, after a slight barbed wire moment I was back on route.
Fungus in the woods

I had arranged to meet Mrs R. for coffee 2/3 of the way round the walk. As I headed to the rendezvous the rain, which had been threatening started in earnest. By the time I'd done the 400 meters dash to the cafe I was soaked. I was a bit early and when Mrs R arrived the rain had stopped of course. She had driven over and seen no rain at all.

Fortified with coffee and danish pastry I carried on.

I've walked this route a lot this year, from the first buds on the blackthorn to what feels like the beginning of autumn.

Within touching distance of the end of the walk it started to rain again but it was just too hot to contemplate waterproofs. I got wet and then was almost dry by the time I got home.

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Tiny TR of Herts walk
« Reply #1 on: 19:40:48, 18/08/20 »
Lovely pics Ridge, love the one with the Blackthorn and hay bales  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:43:32, 18/08/20 »
Thanks April.
I was confused as to why you thought the tree was blackthorn and then I read my caption which definitely gives that impression. It is an oak tree, I was just commenting on how long lockdown has been and how the seasons have changed.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:06:20, 19/08/20 »
I was confused as to why you thought the tree was blackthorn and then I read my caption which definitely gives that impression. It is an oak tree

;D  I have to admit I am useless with tree identification. I remember once going up to Graystones from Embleton Church. AW says "cross the first tributary and pass beneath the larches". Trying to work out which trees were larches was a bit problematic  :-[
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:01:41, 19/08/20 »
Nice pics ridge O0
A shame the farmer left all those hay bales littering the place  :D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:17:56, 19/08/20 »
Thanks Beefy.
It is quite a steep field and either gravity or, more likely, some local kids had tidied quite a lot of bales in to the bottom hedge.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy