Author Topic: TR 2 nighter from Gatesgarth Sat 6 Jul to Mon 8 Jul 19  (Read 1669 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We were off on a 2 nighter. After a walk to Hope Park and back we got the Buttermere bus to Gatesgarth. We started the climb up Warnscale Beck. We stopped for some lunch near the beck. It was warm and we had blue skies and sunshine.

On the way up Warnscale Bottom

High Crag and Buttermere

It was hard work on the climb up with the heat. We weren't feeling very energetic, not sure if it was high pollen affecting us too but we decided not to go over onto Fleetwith Pike but head to our spot to camp for the night instead.   

Great Round How 

We left the main Haystacks path and wandered over toward Great Round How.   

On one of the cairned tops of Great Round How

The summit of Great Round How

We explored the top for an hour looking for the best place to pitch. We found a great spot, luckily dry at the moment but most of this top would normally be soggy so there aren't that many places to pitch.

The MSR on Great Round How

A couple came around looking for a pitch at about 6.30 but they saw us and pitched near the higher top and well away from us. A few other walkers were about quite late too, we'd expected it to be really quiet over here. It must be more well known than I thought. We had our tea and a drink of wine and settled down to watch the sunset.

The sun going down

Very nice it was too

A nice way to finish the day. Our route was Gatesgarth - Warnscale Beck - Great Round How. 5.3km with 450m ascent. It had felt like double the distance, we were really tired when we pitched the tent. We had walked 2km to Hope Park and back to the bus station before we got the bus but still not that far  :-\

We had a peaceful nights sleep and we were off for another night out. We walked by the fence until we reached Moses Trod. It was glorious to start with more blue sky and sunshine.

On the way to Moses Trod looking back at Haystacks and High Crag

Green Gable and Great Gable

We chatted to a man who asked us where Tongue was. He was walking toward us and had passed it. I pointed it out to him and asked him where he was going. He said down to Ennerdale. He turned around and retraced his steps. Beefy stopped to get water, I was going to get some too but the man looked like he going to go past the start of the Tongue route and I hurried over to him and gave him directions. He was actually on the trod that leads down Tongue and I said he just needed to follow it down to Ennerdale. Ennerdale was in full sight. Good deed done but I hadn't got any water. We carried on toward Beck Head but we noticed the man had veered off the trod and started descending south west steeply down off Tongue instead of just following the trod he was on. I might as well not have bothered giving him directions and we were now short of water!

Great Gable from Beck Head

Kirk Fell ahead

Great Gable and The Scafells

It was hard work going up Kirk Fell. The skies had clouded over and it was cooler when we got onto the top.
We went to see if there was any water in Ill Gill but it was dry. We still had some water left but I rued helping out the man earlier. I might as well have not bothered and got some water! We wondered if he had managed to get safely down.

Wast Water

Beefy and Squeaky on Kirk Fell summit

Great Gable top now covered in cloud

We were feeling really tired. We stopped for a break in one of the shelters but not for long. Clag came across the top and we began the descent down Baysoar Slack.

Looking back at the route down Baysoar Slack

It is a steep route down, the photo doesn't show the steepness! We stopped on a flat spot near Sail Beck and had a brew after getting some water.

Dark clouds appeared near Black Sail Pass

We had planned to go over Pillar and pitch on Scoat Fell. It looked like it was going to tip it down so we decided to drop down to Ennerdale and pitch there. We thought we would still get soaked before we got the tent up.

Looking back at the Sail Beck Ravine

Our legs were tired with the sustained steep descent.

On the descent from Black Sail Pass

Black Sail Hut now visible. The clouds had now started to clear and we had some sunshine. We found a pitch on a drumlin and got set up. We had escaped getting wet  :) The water source was close by and we had a rest. We felt really tired again but we knew the distance wasn't that much.

The MSR below Kirk Fell

The Gables from our pitch

We had blue skies eastward but there was a lot of cloud out west. We had some tea and poured some wine. We didn't get a sunset view but we had enjoyed this camp as much as the night before. Our route was Great Round How - Moses Trod - Beck Head - Kirk Fell - Baysoar Slack - Black Sail Pass - Ennerdale Valley pitch 8.9km with 550m ascent. It had felt like double that, just like yesterday  :-\ We were asleep as soon as our heads touched our pillows.                             

We awoke to cloudy and gloomy weather.

On the way to Scarth Gap

Can you spot the cows? We had been a bit worried about them, they had got within 10 foot of the tent. They were fine though and weren't bothered by Squeaky either when we were packing our gear.   

Looking back at Ennerdale

Seat from Scarth Gap

My legs were like lead and I was pleased to get to the top of the pass. It was warm and hardly any wind.

High Crag from Scarth Gap

Haystacks from Scarth Gap

On the way down to Gatesgarth

Warnscale Bottom from the descent to Gatesgarth

We had some lunch while we waited for the bus near Gatesgarthdale Beck. Our route was Ennerdale - Scarth Gap - Gatesgarth. 5.6km with 170m ascent. Our knees felt every step of the descent and we were pleased to get on the bus. We had enjoyed the weekend despite not walking that far, I hope this lack of energy is temporary.
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 2 nighter from Gatesgarth Sat 6 Jul to Mon 8 Jul 19
« Reply #1 on: 14:49:32, 09/07/19 »
Nice scenery. I cannot see any cows  :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:53:39, 09/07/19 »
 :) There are 4 in the photo. 2 are on the left in the middle and another 2 just left of centre in the middle. They look like black rocks mind.
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:59:20, 09/07/19 »
My eyesight must be going.  :(

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:05:17, 09/07/19 »
My eyesight must be going.  :(
You think you've got problems I can see cows in 2 of the pictures so I must be hallucinating cows.

Lovely pics April, looks like stunning weather despite your rain worries.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:23:40, 09/07/19 »
You think you've got problems I can see cows in 2 of the pictures so I must be hallucinating cows.

Oh yes, there are cows in another shot. I thought they were Herdwicks at the time  :D

These were the same cows that descended to our tent by morning.
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:25:38, 09/07/19 »
Invisible cows........................ ;D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:50:10, 09/07/19 »
Just woke up, this weekend nearly killed me, my rucksack was far too heavy, I'm going to have to stop carrying all those cameras,  :o
Great pics and write up, most enjoyable weekend of fun and adventure,  although very tiring in the heat, tremendous O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:33:18, 09/07/19 »
Lovely again April O0
I've never been down Baysoar slack but it's got to better than the awful 'path' down to Black Sail Pass following the fence
I can't see any cows in any pictures ;D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:39:40, 09/07/19 »
Excellent round and pictures again  O0
Hearing that Great Round How is unexpectedly popular is sad, I know it's on a path to the Gables but I thought a secluded pitch off-path behind the crags would be a dead cert.
At least Baysoar Slack doesn't look as steep as the usual path off via Kirkfell Crags, now that's a right royal knee wobbler as I recall!.

taxino8

« Reply #10 on: 19:17:01, 09/07/19 »
Thanks for posting that, tremendous photos and a  great report which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.
Bob

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:53:40, 09/07/19 »
Great write up and pics  O0

Quote from: beefy : the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...
...my rucksack was far too heavy, I'm going to have to stop carrying all that wine,  :o

>:D

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:19:40, 09/07/19 »
Great report and photos April, really like the sunset O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:29:56, 10/07/19 »
Lovely photos April     :)    Sounds quite an adventure

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:55:16, 11/07/19 »
I'm going to have to stop carrying all those cameras,  :o

You would be able to carry more wine  :D

I've never been down Baysoar slack but it's got to better than the awful 'path' down to Black Sail Pass following the fence

I tried to go up that 'path' from the pass once. I turned back and went up Baysoar Slack instead.

Hearing that Great Round How is unexpectedly popular is sad, I know it's on a path to the Gables but I thought a secluded pitch off-path behind the crags would be a dead cert.

That's what we thought!

Thanks taxino8  O0

@ Mel  ;D  :o

I'm not sure what trickery you used to change beefy's post but I can't seem to quote it myself  :-[

Thanks henry and Dovegirl  O0
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy