Author Topic: Light weight tents  (Read 6079 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Light weight tents
« Reply #30 on: 18:45:37, 26/02/19 »
Thanks April.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:43:37, 26/02/19 »
beefy,
I have heard of the UK's Draconian import duties. D@mn shame B/C Tarptent is a family owned business (Henry Shires, owner and designer) AND they are all made in the USA, The People's Republic of California to be precise. I know that some Brits are partial the the SCARP 1 and SCARP 2 Tarptents. I have a SCARP 2 as well as the Moment DW, both with the ripstop inner tent. Our fine desert dust blows right through the full mesh inner tents.

I have a Tarptent Notch ordered from Henry over in California, the original cost was £181 and then a further £38 in import duties. I've added a couple of guys and pegs (steaks) to go with them, the total weight comes to 900g (31.7oz). A little bit over what was stated on their website but not enough to matter.

It's an interesting design, using your trekking poles as support. The outer fly is really good, quick to pitch and very sturdy. I'm not so impressed by the inner "nest". All mesh inner tents are as useful as a chocolate tea pot for us here in wet windy Scotland, so I opted for the half solid option. The bottom half is solid which does help in keeping some of the wind off. The top half is mesh which doesn't help in keeping the drips off. The inner is also awfully narrow being only hip width, this makes it a bit coffin like after a few nights. Consequently I tend to only use this tent for short trips and over nights. 

My other tent is a trekkertent Phreeranger http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/32-phreeranger.html quite a bit more expensive but a lot more room inside. 

humansnail

« Reply #32 on: 20:00:50, 27/02/19 »
Thanks for the info regarding pitching the elixir inner first w/ the footprint. I hadn't realised that!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:37:17, 27/02/19 »
Thanks for the info regarding pitching the elixir inner first w/ the footprint. I hadn't realised that!
Do ya mean outer first?
You need the footprint to do this, it comes free with the tent O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:57:50, 27/02/19 »
It is inner first but it can be pitched outer first if you are using the footprint. We have pitched it outer first when it was raining  :)

You should have read my post beefy  :D
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 23:05:55, 27/02/19 »
You should have read my post beefy  :D
:crazy2:

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 03:55:03, 28/02/19 »
It does throw a question about the suitability of a tent, when it has become so 'flimsy' to gain the title 'lightweight' that it now needs an additional & thicker groundsheet to protect the built-in groundsheet from punctures, adding back 200-300 grams (2-man tent) back into the total tent 'weight'.

Total* weight is a figure rarely provided by manufacturers.

* The figure including everything needed to successfully use the tent.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 07:59:53, 28/02/19 »
It does throw a question about the suitability of a tent, when it has become so 'flimsy' to gain the title 'lightweight' that it now needs an additional & thicker groundsheet to protect the built-in groundsheet from punctures, adding back 200-300 grams (2-man tent) back into the total tent 'weight'.

Total* weight is a figure rarely provided by manufacturers.

* The figure including everything needed to successfully use the tent.
The groundsheet is used to hold the poles in position on our msr tent to stop them spreading if you want to use just the fly sheet
Without the inner, it gives more options, we even sit under the footprint sometimes to get dodge the rain whilst having our lunch, and we've used it as a sun shade too,
Very useful in my opinion and the tent has been very durable, we use tents more than most
« Last Edit: 08:03:01, 28/02/19 by beefy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:00:37, 28/02/19 »
It all turns into a bit of a numbers game with diminishing returns, doesn't it, Alan. Still, I suppose it sells tents....

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:02:02, 28/02/19 »
The groundsheet is used to hold the poles in position on our msr tent to stop them spreading if you want to use just the fly sheet
Without the inner, it gives more options, we even sit under the footprint sometimes to get dodge the rain whilst having our lunch, and we've used it as a sun shade too,
Very useful in my opinion

I would imagine that all 'fly first' tents can be used without the inner if required too, Beefy.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 08:05:13, 28/02/19 »

I would imagine that all 'fly first' tents can be used without the inner if required too, Beefy.
Msr elixir is inner pitch first  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:09:23, 28/02/19 »

..as is my ancient Wild Country Trisar.  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 08:53:44, 28/02/19 »

On the MSR Elixir the footprint is optional. You can take it or leave it. We take it to give us options. We can pitch outer first if it is raining. When you wild camp you aren't always going to have a perfect place to pitch. It might be slightly soggy ground, or rough abrasive ground or perhaps you may have to pitch on dead bracken which can be sharp. Bringing the footprint gives us the option to pitch without damaging the groundsheet on the inner. Common sense really, the footprint protects our investment. We always have thought that £200 for the quality of the Elixir is a bargain mind. It is not flimsy at all, it has been a very durable and reliable tent and we would not hesitate to get another MSR tent.
Hate will never win

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 09:02:20, 28/02/19 »

The inner of my old Ultimate Tramp (now that's going back some!) was simply held up by a hook at either end and it had 6 pegs around its groundsheet. I often rested under just the fly with everything else packed up, waitng for rain to stop.

The inner on my current Zephyros is such a fiddle to remove and put back that I've never bothered to do it. On a few occasions I've unpegged the front of the groundsheet (only 2, which it shares with fly pegs) and pushed it out of the way to the back of the tent.
« Last Edit: 09:06:43, 28/02/19 by fernman »

Stube

« Reply #44 on: 10:33:57, 28/02/19 »
My MYOG poncho also serves as a footprint for both my Laser Comp and Telemark tents.
It also means I don't need a rucksack cover and my jacket can be much lighter.
Overall a weight saver.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy