Author Topic: The Way of St. James Camino (Pilgrimage)  (Read 4596 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: The Way of St. James Camino (Pilgrimage)
« Reply #15 on: 09:17:46, 18/02/19 »
For a list of all accommodation on the Camino Francés as at December 2017 see the following and click on download:-

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/“all”-albergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/

peterjohn42

« Reply #16 on: 00:59:23, 24/02/19 »
Hi harland,
thank you for the list of accommodation on the camino, even though it is out of date it is very useful and very helpful, thanks.

Walkerflyer

« Reply #17 on: 09:09:18, 07/04/19 »
It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and now I have more time too.
A simple question (probably stupid) though. I’ve only walked C2C a few times and always book accommodation in advance. I assume that, walking from France, I’ll have to rely on finding places to sleep as I find them along the way? Booking ahead for a month is impractical?

David
« Last Edit: 09:16:10, 07/04/19 by Walkerflyer »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:35:07, 07/04/19 »
Booking ahead for a month is impractical?

David
No need to do that. There is a huge, and I mean huge, infrastructure around the Camino . There are bunk hostels all over the route and some of them are huge.  Local authorities run a large number of these Albergues but there are plenty of private ones as well. There are also a huge number of bnbs. For the sake of comfort and knowing where you're truly aiming for you can book ahead using apps like Gronze or Booking.com.
I did book my stay for the first three nights  in advance before I left blighty. Then I played it by ear, as did everyone else I spoke to en route. Next time I do it, if ever, I will probably walk to St Jean from the airport at Biarritz., search Ebay for a cheap copy of the Brierley guide and join the Camino Forum it is full of good (and bad) information about the various routes.
Too little, too late, too bad......

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:26:49, 07/04/19 »
From what I have read on the Camino Forum more people are now booking accommodation ahead either a few days before or all of it before leaving home.  I was concerned about the apparent "rush" in the morning trying to get to accommodation and claim a bed before others arrived.  So, as I wanted to walk for most of the day and not rush to finish by lunchtime, I got my accommodation booked before I leave in just over 2 weeks time.  There is concern from "true pilgrims" that this is not the way to do it.  I must admit I do understand their feelings but in the absence of speaking French or Spanish and wanting a "gentle" all day walk as well as old age as stated above I opted for "bed safety"!
I have two guide books, the John Brierley one that is good for accommodation and a Rother Walking Guide that I prefer for guidance on the route, albeit the route is well marked.

Walkerflyer

« Reply #20 on: 12:12:09, 07/04/19 »
Thank you, much appreciated.
More research on my part required.

David

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:25:26, 07/04/19 »
I don't know if you would consider this idea but as an insurance policy of not being able to get a bed for the night (I'm assuming that you will take a sleeping bag?) why not purchase an Alpkit Hunka bivi. A very useful and lightweight piece of kit, for those 'just in case' moments that you didn't expect to happen.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:21:39, 07/04/19 »
It looks good and is only 330gms but the Alpkit website shows that it is sold out.  Maybe available elsewhere.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:40:53, 07/04/19 »
It looks good and is only 330gms but the Alpkit website shows that it is sold out.  Maybe available elsewhere.

It's not on Amazon, eBay or Google Shopping, I looked.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy