Author Topic: GPS conundrum.  (Read 2842 times)

Pitboot

GPS conundrum.
« on: 16:58:42, 27/04/19 »
Recently after reading threads concerning various anomalies with Garmin GPS units I decided to dust mine off and check it. Mine too was stuck on a certain date, 2011, and I could not get it to reset, I tried all suggestions several times, to no avail, my unit was stuck in 2011.

(As I recall I bought it as a positive backup for when I was supervising cadets on expeditions, D of E etc, an accurate fix and confirmation of location in case of emergency. I've never really wanted to or had to use it for routine navigation.)

Today I woke up and prepared for my night shift, I thought it would be a good idea to check the etrex again and maybe tinker with it tonight at work, so I switched it on.

It's now showing the correct date so I assume something happened while it was asleep!

I find all of the software and updates from Garmin to very tedious, boring, and confusing, so it's got to go.
For a device that is supposed to make life a little easier it has been nothing but an expensive, exasperating, pain in the posterior, I'll stick with map and compass. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: GPS conundrum.
« Reply #1 on: 17:03:35, 27/04/19 »
Never had a problem with mine  :)
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:08:56, 27/04/19 »
I don't understand - you got a gps that you haven't used for a long time.  You finally updated its software so now it should be good to go and now you want rid?  Software updates are usually fairly quick, especially if you keep it the unit to date and they really don't occur that often.  Never mind, Rob Goes Walking is looking for one - why don't you PM him?
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:22:30, 27/04/19 »
Yes I need a backup GPS, I was going to buy the most simple of devices you can get one that just gives a grid reference but I could be persuaded to go for something more advanced although that means I'd also need a cheap laptop just for Basecamp. Walking is supposed to be free, why are my credit cards so full?!

What GPS is it Pitboot if you want rid?

taxino8

« Reply #4 on: 18:37:44, 27/04/19 »
Yes I need a backup GPS, I was going to buy the most simple of devices you can get one that just gives a grid reference but I could be persuaded to go for something more advanced although that means I'd also need a cheap laptop just for Basecamp. Walking is supposed to be free, why are my credit cards so full?!

What GPS is it Pitboot if you want rid?
I’ve just upgraded to a Garmin 64, I’ve now got a Garmin 60CX doing nowt, you’re welcome to have it f.o.c., just pm me your address and I’ll post it to you next week.
There’s nothing wrong with it, I’m just a bit of a gadget freak and wanted a new one.
This has a basic map on it and can’t be upgraded but it will track you, etc and give you a grid reference.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:44:54, 27/04/19 »
That's really good of you taxino8 I've PM'd you. Wow, thanks!

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:02:13, 27/04/19 »
Nice one Taxino8  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:06:27, 27/04/19 »
Good man!
Solvitur Ambulando

taxino8

« Reply #8 on: 19:17:55, 27/04/19 »
It’s better being used than sat in my desk drawer plus less clutter in my desk.
It’s in a padded bag, addressed and ready to post when I get the chance next week.
It’s actually a 60CS not a CX.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:26:46, 27/04/19 »
O0 :) Legend.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:30:38, 27/04/19 »
Solvitur Ambulando

taxino8

« Reply #11 on: 19:32:54, 27/04/19 »
More reading https://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPSMAP60CSx_OwnersManual.pdf
It’s a CS, not a CSX, it think the difference is the CSX can take a memory card for maps but the 60CS doesn’t have that option.
The basic operation will be the same though.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:35:57, 27/04/19 »
Make sure you use good batteries, i.e. Duracell. A GPS will fairly chomp through poor batteries. Also carry spares. I use one of these to store them in
https://www.negeocachingsupplies.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=83_117&product_id=202

I stack them in opposite ends opposed when they're good. Lined up when they're bad. That way when I get home I know which to replace / recharge.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:49:39, 27/04/19 »
Good tip Hillhiker1, pity it doesn't have an off-route alarm I can find on Google or it could replace ViewRanger as my primary GPS and I could leave the phone connection on (when there is one). I've only used that feature once but there's been a couple of times it would have been handy had I had it on and I've wandered a couple of hundred metres the wrong way.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:53:59, 27/04/19 »
Good tip Hillhiker1, pity it doesn't have an off-route alarm I can find on Google or it could replace ViewRanger as my primary GPS and I could leave the phone connection on (when there is one). I've only used that feature once but there's been a couple of times it would have been handy had I had it on and I've wandered a couple of hundred metres the wrong way.
  Yes it does - page 73.  Like the Etrex, it is a maritime function   (ctrl-F is a useful tool)
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy