Author Topic: TR - Bowscale Tarn and Fell, Bannerdale Crags  (Read 3143 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Bowscale Tarn and Fell, Bannerdale Crags
« Reply #15 on: 11:45:39, 26/06/20 »
In my case historic injuries - one ACL and two MCL injuries to my right knee and chronic tendinitis in my right achilles, and a broken femur, acetabulum and dislocated ankle on the left side - have left me with a few aches and pains which I tend to whinge about more and more the steeper the descent becomes  :) .  I don't go out of my way to avoid them, I just grunt like a billy goat the whole way down.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:08:32, 26/06/20 »
In my case historic injuries - one ACL and two MCL injuries to my right knee and chronic tendinitis in my right achilles, and a broken femur, acetabulum and dislocated ankle on the left side - have left me with a few aches and pains which I tend to whinge about more and more the steeper the descent becomes  :) .  I don't go out of my way to avoid them, I just grunt like a billy goat the whole way down.

I'm like that on the way up!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:33:26, 26/06/20 »
So am I - I should really stick to the flat  ;D ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:32:35, 26/06/20 »
So am I - I should really stick to the flat  ;D ;D

Strenuousness is the immortal path and sloth is the way of death.

(Apologies to HW Tilman)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:33:35, 26/06/20 »
Not surprised the east ridge is on the banned list. I did approach the drop off with some trepidation, wondering whether it was a viable way down for an overheated family and an energetic dog. But it was fine, if steep and, in places, loose.

:) It is safe enough but still on The Banned List on Descent (without even doing it)  ;D I fear it is too steep for my comfort in descent these days (lots of bottom mountaineering would be involved) and that loose slate stuff would be a nightmare for me :) I think I once mentioned on here I was disappointed with the east ridge because it wasn't scrambly or exciting enough but I was ascending it and I was much younger in them days  :) About 16 years of age probably  ;)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:41:12, 26/06/20 »
:) I think I once mentioned on here I was disappointed with the east ridge because it wasn't scrambly or exciting enough but I was ascending it and I was much younger in them days  :) About 16 years of age probably  ;)

Crikey you were brave then as the ridge would have been a lot higher because there has been a fair bit of erosion since you were 16 :D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:52:00, 26/06/20 »

Crikey you were brave then as the ridge would have been a lot higher because there has been a fair bit of erosion since you were 16 :D

Ouch!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:24:12, 26/06/20 »

;D

You are either very brave or stupid with that response considering we will be wild camping with you next weekend (unless you have wimped out in case it is a bit rainy) but I will forgive you if you bring plenty of troughts (treats) for HRH Squeaky  :)
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:48:47, 26/06/20 »
Well I felt hot and bothered just reading that! 

Loved the view down to the tarn from weigh a pie  O0   ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 07:19:36, 27/06/20 »
;D

You are either very brave or stupid with that response considering we will be wild camping with you next weekend (unless you have wimped out in case it is a bit rainy) but I will forgive you if you bring plenty of troughts (treats) for HRH Squeaky  :)

...and a bottle of wine for April  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 07:22:38, 27/06/20 »
Well I felt hot and bothered just reading that! 

Loved the view down to the tarn from weigh a pie  O0   ;)

Thanks Mel - I felt hot and bothered doing it! Not so bad on the tops, but murderously hot descending down into the valley - I was less than happy, with the sweat trickling into my eyes aggravating the hay fever. Sometimes I ask myself why I do these things, but the mind has a trick of glossing over the bad bits as time goes by, leaving me with the good memories.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy