Author Topic: Pennine Way - The dog and my retirement challenge?  (Read 1893 times)

JaniceandHarliedog

Hi,

Its been a few years since I last posted on here so I hope everyone is well.

I retire in 2021 and wanted to celebrate by doing something special. There is nothing I enjoy more than doing a long distance walk as a holiday, and have done a few over the last few years, but have done loads in my lifetime. So I know what to expect. I really fancy walking the Pennine Way again (Done it twice, but many moons ago).

I was thinking of doing it for charity ie. my local Mountain Rescue Team (Coniston) of which I am a member, and a Dog Rescue Centre, because in my eyes, both myself and my dog will be of the older generation, and therefore this will be a big challenge. Whilst I am confident I could do this (even with my new knee!) I am concerned whether it would be asking too much of my dog. She will be nearly 11 years old in May 2021 and as such I am thinking of just ambling along averaging about 10 miles a day, staying in B & B's. She is a very fit, just turned 9 year old GSD x Collie (Border Collie size), and we walk every weekend in the Fells here in the South Lakes. Bad weather is not a concern to her either.

Has anybody done this with an older dog or are there any experts out there could advise me? I don't even know whether I can afford this length of holiday yet but it certainly would be wonderful if we could do it. However, I will not compromise Harlie's well being, should the advice given stops me from doing it. So please be honest.

Thank you.

Janice

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way - The dog and my retirement challenge?
« Reply #1 on: 14:44:16, 26/09/19 »
At 9 my GSD x lurcher would have been absolutely fine, by 12 she was tired at the end of a consecutive days walking (we were doing the SWCP at that time) and soon we started to reduce the mileage and take more account of the terrain. She loved 'sharing' the tent and was in bagging her space before we had the guys pegged out.

It's sad when dogs start to age but you will know your own dog better than anyone and the pleasure of her company will far outweigh any need to pile on the daily miles.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

JaniceandHarliedog

« Reply #2 on: 15:24:36, 26/09/19 »
Hi Jac,

Thank you for your quick response.

Hmmm...the SWCP has lots of ups and downs so I can imagine how tiring it would be. Unfortunately as I would be staying in B&B's and not camping, I would not have the choice of reducing the mileage as I went on, hence the relatively short days of 10 miles per day on average. Obviously some would be a little longer/shorter depending on the accommodation I could get. Also, this would need to be booked well in advance because of having a dog.

I really can not think of a more relaxing way to spend a day than walking with your dog, and better still if it is a long distance walk.

Janice

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:26:24, 26/09/19 »
Hi Janice

11 is starting to get on a bit in dog years, but there is no way of knowing how capable your dog will be in 2 years time. I think that you will have to assess her capabilities a month or two before you go, and make a judgement then.
« Last Edit: 21:14:00, 26/09/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Florence Lamb

« Reply #4 on: 20:38:57, 26/09/19 »
Hello Janice

You know your dog and what he is capable of. If it’s any help I’ve walked the PW with 2 dogs 1 being 13 and the other being blind!  We camped.  They both did numerous long distance walks over the years.  Don’t have either now but they both lived a long life. 

JaniceandHarliedog

« Reply #5 on: 09:42:04, 27/09/19 »
Thank you for your comments.

Hi Richard, Yes, I agree. If I do book the holiday, but I feel nearer the time she isn't going to be up to it, then I shall cancel the walk. Loss of deposits is better than an unhappy dog.

Wow Florence, that is amazing, camping too. Well done to the three of you. Harlie will be about 3 months short of 11 (well, even thats a guess as she is a rescue)  but people think she is a youngster.

I'll see how she is at the end of next Summer when I will need to start thinking about booking the B&Bs in order to secure dog friendly accommodation.

Thanks again for your advice.

Janice

Dread

« Reply #6 on: 14:15:15, 27/09/19 »
Hi Janice. I don't know if it is of any interest but there is a YouTube channel called Hounds of Howgate featuring a guy who walks all over Scotland with his Border Collie. It's got some useful videos on it and is very entertaining. He ends up carrying the dog in his rucksack a couple of times.

JaniceandHarliedog

« Reply #7 on: 14:20:51, 27/09/19 »
Oh yes, I shall certainly look this up. Thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy