Author Topic: Let's Get Scotland Mapped  (Read 3609 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Let's Get Scotland Mapped
« Reply #15 on: 11:29:55, 09/01/17 »
Wouldn't the core paths, which are being suggested by the link provided by the OP be those that are serviced by local authorities. Similar to the A list RoWs in England.
I do not think it is the paths DA suggests as difficult to get mapped.

What would be interesting would be the current distribution and and density of a core path network. My previous post is, I feel, in line with Agent Mancuso and Happyhiker. To have paths which are maintained and furnished, out of local funds, clearly visible on the OS Explorer Maps and Landranger is probably the nub of this issue.

Are there enough paths;
The England and Wales network may work out at about 2km/per grid square and in much terrain that this figure is served by footpaths at this ratio it is insufficient. But nationally 2 miles per square mile is really stretching local authorities budgets to furnish and service.

The England and Wales effectively have a 'core path network' we do not have the right to make that network more effective, Scotland has the right that is denied to Welsh and English walkers but do not have a  'core path network' to make the first steps towards creating an effective and general network of leisure routes through all their varying terrain.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:16:16, 09/01/17 »
Aye, pretty much.

One very partial solution is to track the course of paths walked by GPS and upload the trace to http://www.openstreetmap.org/

I used to do this all the time, but haven't much recently.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:16:31, 11/01/17 »
For those perhaps not very familiar with the layout in Scotland I would suggest that the SMC Hillwalkers guides to the Munros, The Corbetts and The Grahams are good value.  Also the ability to print the 1:25,000 maps of any of the hundreds of  listed routes from the Walkhighkands site.
No vested interest in either of these outlets. Enough there to keep any walker happy.

I am aged and all that we had to help to get us around the Scottish hills 60 years ago were the old 1:63,000 OS maps, or a Bartholomews half inch map  and an SMC Munro's Tables...and other tables of lesser heights.  You really had to persevere when using these 'tools'. :)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:08:07, 11/01/17 »
Alright if you base your walking objectives in hills. A week I spent in Gateway of Fleet gave me an insight into the lack of exploration local walking clubs have done in using field margins to give circular walks from sections of coastal path.

I made some comment here on Access on foot in Scotland.

I checked out a few websites before I went, found only a linear walk to Ninian's cave done as a 'split car' club walk. No good for us with only one car. When I got there I found the field margins all nicely sprayed out as part of the crop management and an ideal layout of field gates for circular walks of varying length, but I could find no reference to routes of this ilk on line nor any signs of footfall, which would suggest any walkers were using their freedom in this way.
Disappointing!!!!!
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy