Author Topic: Garmin Etrex Vista  (Read 457 times)

geordie33

• Veteran Member
Garmin Etrex Vista
« on: 08:51:09, 16/07/11 »
A friend of mine has got a Vista which includes a screen showing the walk profile.At the top of this screen is are maximum and minimum height boxes which always show 0.I tried to get this function to work for him but re-set etc did not appear to help (any anyway we were on top of a big hill in Northumberland at the time)Does anyone know how to activate this function please?
PS -my Legend is still working brilliantly

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin Etrex Vista
« Reply #1 on: 09:50:00, 16/07/11 »
Has he accurately calibrated the altimeter?  I'd do that first and see what happens  O0
Where there's a will ...

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:41:51, 16/07/11 »
Pretty sure he has.When out with him yesterday his and mine were broadly in agreement re height which also corresponded with the map

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:46:32, 16/07/11 »
OK, in that case 2 things.  Does he have the latest software?  Problems with earlier models when computing stuff to do with elevation.  Also, as with any electronic device these days that doesn't work as expected, and just as true with any GPS device, try a hard reset.  Note that he'll lose any waypoints, routes etc so he might want to back up anything that's important first.

Think  :D  the way you do that is as follows:

With the unit turned off, press and hold the following buttons: PAGE + Enter on the click stick. Then press and release the POWER. The unit will power up asking if you want to release all user data. Select yes, and the unit will be reset.

Never tried it myself though  :-\
« Last Edit: 10:51:43, 16/07/11 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:53:59, 16/07/11 »
Thanks fo.r this.I doubt if he has checked the software (computer illiterate!).I thought about a default re-set but he stores routes on his Garmin-been trying to persuade him to start a folder on his pc-gave him my second memory map licence so I will keep at him
Thanks for the help-thought you might have some ideas

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:06:47, 16/07/11 »
Might be an idea for him to download this manual:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexVista_OwnersManual.pdf

It's for the older model (without the H) but has much more detail than the current ones.  It explains more about the options for the elevation page.  He might have things like zoom settings, distance versus time etc set incorrectly.  If that doesn't help then if he's desperate to get it working a hard reset is next  :( 
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy