Author Topic: problems with your kit? let me know about it  (Read 3424 times)

Chesney

problems with your kit? let me know about it
« on: 16:31:11, 06/10/08 »
hit there i am a student studying at Salford university,
A quick intro about me I'm a walking leader i spend some times doing Dof E walks and I'm an army cadet instructor been doing that for about 5 years no, now I'm at university
 i do sports equipment design.
i am current doing a project on outdoor pursuits equipment, and hopefully going to be able to develop a product that will make our lives more enjoyable in the hills.

what i want to find out from you is what problems to you have with your kit? any thing from packaging to actually using it,
or even minor details like the zip is too small,
these are all key features that you can let me and my team of colleagues know, so that we could work on and possibly develop something that can make our lives easier in the hill or mountains.

So from your experiences of up and down hills etc, let me know what problems are you having with your kit:
zip is in the wrong place
torch is too hard to use in cold temperatures
wet clothes
etc
any thing like that could lead to a development.
so let me know what irritates you

Yu Ting Yau

cragster

• Veteran Member
Re: problems with your kit? let me know about it
« Reply #1 on: 18:31:12, 06/10/08 »
Hi there,

A problem I have is with walking trousers and keeping them around my waiste. A belt doesn't seem to do the trick and no matter how tight I do the belt up they always start to go south after walking any distance. This is very annoying especially when trying to scramble or get over a wall and your gusset is hanging almost around your knees, restricting your movement.

I've had numerous pairs of trousers and they all give me the same problem to a greater or lesser degree.

I think an elasticated waiste band like you have in tracksuit bottoms would be a lot better for keeping them up.

Hope this is of use.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

stevieboy378

« Reply #2 on: 19:04:07, 06/10/08 »
Hi there,

A problem I have is with walking trousers and keeping them around my waiste. A belt doesn't seem to do the trick and no matter how tight I do the belt up they always start to go south after walking any distance. This is very annoying especially when trying to scramble or get over a wall and your gusset is hanging almost around your knees, restricting your movement.

I've had numerous pairs of trousers and they all give me the same problem to a greater or lesser degree.

I think an elasticated waiste band like you have in tracksuit bottoms would be a lot better for keeping them up.

You could always wear braces - Wainwright swore by them . .  .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:18:54, 07/10/08 »
Cragster, you don't wear Craghoppers Kiwis by any chance, do you?

I own four pairs, of varying ages and condition, for general everyday wear, not for walking, and they all slide down as you describe, even with the belt tightened up a little bit more than is comfortable. It's something about the cut of them, on me they're too voluminous around the hips and backside.  Having said that, the most recent pair I bought, roundabout June, are a tad better in this respect.

I never get the problem with my "proper" walking trousers, which are Sprayway Gritstone Pants.  Maybe you need to go to a store that stocks a few different makes, and try different ones on in the changing room?  It's not a case of too many chips and too much beer, is it?

Going back to Chesney's original query, I'm going to have a good hard think about it.  I can't come up with anything at the moment, but there must be something.

romaway

« Reply #4 on: 09:02:35, 08/10/08 »
I am just a casual walker and walk with a group so I am no expert at gear and what is good or not, but I am not happy with using a drink reservoir and prefer a bottle of water.

I find the pocket on the side of my rucksack is too far back to easily pull the bottle out while I am walking and I have to keep removing my bag to get it.  So I have attached the little drawstring bag that came with from my waterproof trousers, to my chest strap (at the top) and waist strap (at the bottom) and keep my bottle in there so it sits at the front of me.  Hope this makes sense.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:26:39, 08/10/08 »
Right, Chesney, As well as racking my brains I've looked through my complete kit list, and these are the things that niggle me:
1.  I've got a day sack that has really stiff zips. There used to be a zip-lube type of product available but I was [censored] if I was going to spend a fiver for it.
2.  On a day outing, when I'm not carrying a great deal, all the heavy items, such as camera, cans of drink etc. end up in a heap at the bottom of my rucksack, making it unbalanced and uncomfortable to carry.  It'd be nice if there was a sack that had some sort of system of pockets down the back inside it to keep all the heavy items close to your back and shoulders, for better balance.
3.  Could you design a simple and effective camera tripod carrier?  The carrying strap on the bag for my Benbo Trekker constantly slips off my shoulder, and the tripod is too long to go in my rucksack.
4.  The non-slip surface on my Thermarest mattress has worn off, so it tends to slide about inside my backpacking tent.  They used to sell a spray-on product called StayTek which ruined the appearance but it did the job.  I don't think this is available any more.
5.  I own a Snugpak Sleeka insulated jacket.  They're brilliant except the Pertex outer wears quickly.  Could be improved upon?
6.  I used to have (lost them) a pair of Polarfleece mittens which I kept stuffed inside a pair of P.U. nylon outers. Didn't matter that the nylon wasn't breathable, as there was minimal condensation.  It'd be great if a combination like that was available on the market.
7.  All sun hats should be made of synthetic material.  Most of them are cotton and gradually shrink till they end up like a pimple on your head.  (Ban anything cotton, come to that.  It wears quicker, loses its colour and takes too long to dry, compared to synthetics.)
8.  Can't someone invent a gas lantern mantle that doesn't disintegrate?
9.  Tiny sample-size tubes of toothpaste (for backpacking) are becoming hard to find.  My wife gives me airline ones from her travels, but I'm running out. If only outdoors suppliers sold them.
10.  The instructions for my walking poles say to put your weight on the wrist straps and just guide the handles with your fingertips.  It doesn't work, the straps gradually slide along the edge of my hand.  If the principle is correct then there's something wrong with the design.
11. Develop a human equivalent of Frontline or Advantage that we drop on the cat's neck once a month to stop her getting fleas etc.  A dab of something like that on my neck is what I need to stop me getting ticks every time I go backpacking.
12.  How about OS maps with a perforation so that if you want to remove them from the cover, like I do, you can do it cleanly instead of tearing it out?
I won't be surprisesd if people now tell me that half the thing's I'd like are already available, but I feel better now that I've got all that off my chest!

cragster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:23:16, 08/10/08 »
Howard,

Yes, my worst pair for coming down are Craghopper kiwis. I fasten the belt up to the point of being so tight as to being uncomfortable and they still come down. It really is annoying and can make walking a real pain at times.

I can assure you though that it isn't down to too much beer and pork pies.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:40:13, 08/10/08 »
 Pack design.

Research has shown that African women who carry loads on their heads over quite long distances are far more efficent than soldiers carrying the same weight on their back.Can't remember the exact figures but they hardly expended any more energy than they would when walking without the load.A backpack actually pulls the person backwards and has a braking effect on normal human motion so a pack that was positioned over the head, but placing its load on the shoulders rather than the head, would be a big step foward in pack design.

I should imagine the reason for greater efficency with the head load method is due to it posting all the weight over the legs and getting a greater reaction with the ground to pre-load the next step and better alignment due to better balance.

It would seem someone has similar ideas and has invented a front and back pack.This article explains some of the science but I still feel the loading on the head has something to do with it as I tried one of the Sherpa's "packs" in Nepal and it felt completely different than a backpack,far easier to carry despite having a strap on my forehead!

http://www.aarnpacks.com/sports_science/index.html

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:22:12, 08/10/08 »
1.  I've got a day sack that has really stiff zips. There used to be a zip-lube type of product available but I was [censored] if I was going to spend a fiver for it.
Howard, try rubbing a pencil up and down them.

2.  On a day outing, when I'm not carrying a great deal, all the heavy items, such as camera, cans of drink etc. end up in a heap at the bottom of my rucksack, making it unbalanced and uncomfortable to carry.  It'd be nice if there was a sack that had some sort of system of pockets down the back inside it to keep all the heavy items close to your back and shoulders, for better balance.
YES PLEASE!!! With a full pack you can balance things out but with not much as soon as you take out your jacket it all descends.

Skinny Walker

« Reply #9 on: 21:34:13, 08/10/08 »
11. Develop a human equivalent of Frontline or Advantage that we drop on the cat's neck once a month to stop her getting fleas etc.  A dab of something like that on my neck is what I need to stop me getting ticks every time I go backpacking.
12.  How about OS maps with a perforation so that if you want to remove them from the cover, like I do, you can do it cleanly instead of tearing it out?
I won't be surprisesd if people now tell me that half the thing's I'd like are already available, but I feel better now that I've got all that off my chest!

11. I would love something like this!
12. Again agree!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

the coot

« Reply #10 on: 07:56:29, 09/10/08 »
9.  Tiny sample-size tubes of toothpaste (for backpacking) are becoming hard to find.  My wife gives me airline ones from her travels, but I'm running out. If only outdoors suppliers sold them.

I pick them up for free when I visit the dentist for my check up.

leighheppell

« Reply #11 on: 17:31:53, 09/10/08 »
With regard to unbalanced packs, I was always taught to adjust the waist belt, tight enough,  so that 75% of the weight is taken on your hips, not the shoulders.

When walking you should be able to get your fingers under the shoulder straps

Works for me !

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 02:04:02, 13/10/08 »
Hi best of luck with your studies  O0

THe problem i have is that it cost Soooooooo much  ??? ??? ;D

If you need any questions answered give me a shout, spent a bit of time being a kit tester  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

bacon51

« Reply #13 on: 12:39:09, 21/10/08 »
Women's Cags;

Hips. designers always forget these. No I am not fat.

Problem: to get a cag to fit comfortably over the hips, the sleeves are always too long. In 30 years of walking, the sleeves of the cag, (fully opening and over the head,) have always been too long.
If the sleeves are the correct length it will not fasten over my hips.
Even so-called " women's jackets" have the same problem.

Why is this? -- The manufacturers must have aquired stats that say small height, small body and in women it does not work that way because of hips.
Manufacturers cannot go in for different arm lenghs as this is not viable. They go for the longer option for obvious reasons.

Answer: All it needs is a generous v shape pleat at each side starting at the bottom of the cag ( if it is "just over the bum"length) going up to the waist or perhaps just below. It only needs to be put on the small sizes but may be cheaper to put it an all sizes due to set up of machinery for manufacturing.

Design Criteria: once adjusted it must stay firm. Look neat. Must not be uncomfortable when worn under a rucksack belt. be as waterproof as the rest of the cag.

bacon51

« Reply #14 on: 15:04:44, 21/10/08 »
To howardfernlover,

Prob 1 Stiff zips - Zips Light a candle. Soften wax. Blow out. Rub wax on zip for an easy running zip.
Or spray with WD40 even on plastic zip. Latter is not as easy to control so as to avoid material.

Prob 2 Put all bits in a carrier bag and put on top of spare clothes.
If they move about ,your sack may be too big.

Prob 3 Tripod--  Sew four loops, (use good webbing and button thread and needle for leather) on your rucksack lid, (outside face,) tie tripod on with quick release straps.

Prob 7 Best sun hat ever is a cotton Tilley hat. Very expensive but it will last a lifetime.
Machine wash on “handwash” cycle or “wool,” stretch over knee to shape. Do not dry in hot sun or on a radiator.
Cotton is cooler and soaks up the rain not dripping off as happens with nylon.
Cotton does take longer to dry but the previous attribute outweighs that.
Cotton in the Tilley gets stiffer the wetter it gets.  Yes I know it’s a sun hat.
Prob 8  Good one!
Prob 9 Toothpaste in a film case. Simple.
Prob 10 You still need to grip the handle. You can’t guide the handle with just your finger tips. Strap may also be too slack.
Prob 11 DEET or” Jungle Formula”
Prob 12 Just cut the cover off.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy