Author Topic: NEC and Ray Mears  (Read 1831 times)

solo backpacker

NEC and Ray Mears
« on: 18:47:42, 20/03/07 »
Anyone else manage to catch Mr Mears at the NEC? Good talk about the stories behind some of his pictures. A lot of the snaps lifted from his books. I went sat and it was rammed. Got there 0800, in line till 0900, mad scramble to ticket office, another 20 min wait then another line to get into the theatre in time for Ray. On the third line though so worth the 2 hrs in line overall!

Mountain Bikers were pretty good too.

Any stories about what you got up to?
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

M J B

Re: NEC and Ray Mears
« Reply #1 on: 20:29:45, 20/03/07 »
I wish i had gone now. ive been to a few different types of shows recently and they have not been upto much so gave it a miss. By the time ive got to brum and paid petrol, parking and entry they are not a cheap day out.

solo backpacker

« Reply #2 on: 18:06:40, 26/03/07 »
i know, seven quid to park! half five in the morning start from leeds, worth it for mears though, very big show too
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Crag Rat

« Reply #3 on: 09:01:06, 13/04/07 »
Yeah it was a good show this year - Hinkes was great and so was Simon Yates (I was surprised that he talked about Joe Simpson and TTV - thought he'd want to avoid the subject completely).
....because it's there....

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:32:01, 13/04/07 »
Hi Crag Rat

Just wondering why you thought he would want to avoid the subject. I know why some may think this but i was wondering about yourself ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Crag Rat

« Reply #5 on: 15:48:51, 13/04/07 »
From the way that he reacts in the documentary about the making of TTV.  Simon gets a bit fed up of it all and states that the whole incident is really a very insignificant part of his climbing career.

I also suspect that he gets very fed up of people who are only interested in the TTV story.  The documentary also "villainised" him to a certain degree.

He's also regularly referred to as "the one who cut the rope" - that has got to get on your nerves after a while!

By the way - we bought Simon's new book while we were there and got him to sign it.  My wife has read and highly recommends it.
« Last Edit: 15:51:02, 13/04/07 by Crag Rat »
....because it's there....

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:03:47, 13/04/07 »
I agree with you, he must get so tried of people how dont really understand blaming him and as you rightly say he has had a long and successful climing career.

I think once the book TTV and the movie came out, it must have been hard. ;D

Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy