Author Topic: Wild / ad hoc camping  (Read 8127 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild / ad hoc camping
« Reply #15 on: 10:02:59, 06/04/07 »
Hey, Solo backpacker, I've not really considered using a hammock before, but I must admit admit you've got my interest sparked.  How long you been using one, which would you reccomend - they can't be that expensive, right?

I'm off hiking up the Cleveland Way tomorrow for a few days, so will probably be camping wild there for a few nights, no idea where like.  I'm fairly impromptu about it.  Not sure a hammock would be much use there, could string it between two cliffs, I suppose, or two cows!  ;D

Wish I'd thought to ask Summitzero his advice of somewhere to camp now! Probably able to give the phone number of some local farmer who'd let me camp out in his yard, or point out a good cafe to stop for a breather  ;)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 05:26:36, 08/04/07 »
Sorry, as you can see from the time, i have just got back from a couple of days away.

Hope you have/had a great time on the CW, there are some really good places to see and stay, depending on which part you are doing, hope you have had the good weather. :D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:24:17, 10/04/07 »
Have just returned from three days hiking on the Cleveland Way, starting in Filey and finishing in Scarborough, and I have to say I developed a new hobby of cliff spotting.  There's "archy ones", and "bumpy ones", and "curved ones", I tell you there was no end to the variation .. just don't get me started on seagull droppings.

Camped wild twice, both in farmer's fields, and encountered no problems at all.  Took the advice of setting up late and leaving early.  Got some funny looks from other ramblers though, as we were kind of exposed.

Only real problem I encountered was that I didn't give myself enough time to recover before going back to work.  I got back to Hull last night, and went to work this morning.  As always, I never sleep soundly when I'm camping, and so am absolutely exhausted.  This coupled with the complete lack of interest displayed by anyone I work with has left me utterly drained!

But yeah, thanks SZ, the weather was excellent.  :)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:02:32, 11/04/07 »
Yeah, i have the same sleep problem but i find that it only lasts for around two/three nights :o.

When people walk by when i am camping, i think to myself do they think i am mad or are they thinking, god i wished i'd thought of that ;)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:54:09, 23/04/07 »
I feel like a traitor!  :o

I'm walking the last 40 miles of the Wold's Way with a friend of mine in a couple of weeks, over 2 days.  I've never tried walking so far over a short time before, and to be quite honest am not sure what to expect.  (I think the first leg is around 18 miles and the second 22).

And so the 'not knowing' has found booking myself in at an en route campsite, £9.00, and the owner said he'd even do me breakfast in the morning.  I just couldn't resist the facilities!!  ;)

Snowman

« Reply #20 on: 13:13:23, 24/04/07 »
MB - I've done that distance before, with pack.    I'd suggest that you force  yourself to make regular stops, whether  you feel  you need them or not (say 30 minutes walking and 5 resting).   That may sound excessive but by later in the day you'll be happy you did.

Also, don't start off at a run.   I remember one trip where my colleague set off like he was on a 3 peaks challenge (we still had 95 miles to go).    So I called him, and said that if he wanted to walk at that speed fine, I'd seem him at the end.    Just find a nice steady and comfortable pace and keep to it.

All the best for the walk, S.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:26:51, 24/04/07 »
Thanks for the tip, Snowman, will be sure to use it.

Ta.  ;)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:39:33, 25/04/07 »
When we did the WHW we walked at a steady pace as i injured my leg and that put us back a bit.  As the weather was good for most parts of the walk we made good distances.  Along the way once we hit Kinlochleven the weather turned rainy and windy, you name it it hit us. I was taking five steps back and one step forward it was hard going.  I just think that some start off too fast and wear themselves out  quickly.  I also found this out by setting off at a fast pace.  Especially if your doing long distance hikes.  As for wild camping or just any where there were some really good spots to camp and found that this would but us back a couple of miles we decied to push forward.  One of the best spots is here at NN339075. Loch Lomond which was over looking the Loch
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:27:13, 25/04/07 »
Hm, you're right ..

I once went hiking with a friend who is ex-army.  He walks with the motto "a good hike should be a good workout too".  It was the first time we'd been hiking together, and I made the mistake of letting him set the pace.  It was a 15 mile hike, and we completed it in little over four hours.  The next day, I was suffering, with pains in muscles I never even knew I had  :o

The motto of the story is set the pace to the slower / unfitter (if that's a word  ???) walker.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:10:33, 27/04/07 »
Tortoise and the hare

we all know who won that race.

I say walk at your own pace, after all you are surposed to enjoy your walk and let your friend decide if he wants any company on his walk  ;D

P.s the faster you walk the more you miss and the day ends to soon.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:54:24, 29/04/07 »
Aye, I might have to say something to him next time. My own fault for not speaking up in the first place  ::).  I've got another hike planned with him in a few weeks, around Flamborough Head, and so will try and taken it a bit easier.

I'm walking the last 40 miles of the Wolds Way with another friend next weekend, starting from Huggate near Thixendale.  We have done lots of hiking together and so are used to each other's style, and know just when to pick the pace up or let it drop.  Problem is, the stitching in one of my boots has come loose and so will have to take it to get fixed tomorrow. I went hiking in trainers yesterday :o, and despite my name, it was the first time I've had blisters in a long while!  :P

solo backpacker

« Reply #26 on: 19:55:43, 30/04/07 »
mr blister - sorry has taken me so long to reply to your earlier questions. not being using my hammock long (since christmas 06) but already love it. i spent a fair amount of time researching the possibilities and think i made a good choice with the hennessy hammock. they do various weights and sizes. brilliant for one person use (i haven't tried squishing my wide in too yet but don't think it'd break!) there's one one uk distributor (woodland organics) but you can buy direct from their website (i did). they're fairly expensive for one person use compared to tents (think mine was around £120) but much lighter, easier to pitch and more comfortable! taking it out soon for an extended test so will let you know how it performs!
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:32:22, 02/05/07 »
Thanks for getting back to me SB, appreciate it  ;)

Must admit £120.00 was a little more than I was expecting, but I guess if you want quality.  You got any pictures of it action that you can post?

I guess why I'm attracted to the idea is simplicity, tents can be a proper pain in the [censored], especially when you want to get away quick!

Thanks, mate  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy