Author Topic: What are your walking plans for 2018?  (Read 20184 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: What are your walking plans for 2018?
« Reply #75 on: 18:41:12, 31/03/18 »
It is. My next door neighbours went to Iceland about 6 months ago. They bought two fish and chips and two lagers. £58.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 19:11:42, 31/03/18 »
I made plans in January but due to family illness problems I'm having to rethink and even now I'm not sure if I can make a reliable plan. I'm going to Keswick next week for a meet and after that, I'll wait until May till the area is green and then hopfully will catch a Brittany Ferry from here in Portsmouth to Caen and then go on by bus to Felaise. Once there my plan is to walk across country (there is a footpath) to Pont d'Ouilly and then join and walk the GR36 through the Suisse Normandy area back to Caen and then home. Should only take up to five days, just long enough to eat, drink and be merry for a few days.

After that I want to do at least one long walk, either the Gr5 in France, the GR11 in Spain, or the GR20 in Corsica? Perhaps even the GR10 again but this time from the Mediterarian to the Atlantic. The GR20 seems to be the most expensive to get to so I'll keep that at the end of my list. I darn't look up too many walks, there are so many good ones to consider and think about all over Europe.

My wife really wants me to walk with other people this year (for safety reasons mainly) but even though I've tried, I cannot as yet, either find a group who will let me in, or will consider perhaps joining me on one of my walks. I've promised her I'll keep trying. If anyone on the Forum has a suggestion as to how I can solve this matter I'd be most grateful.

Marsden Moor

« Reply #77 on: 19:35:04, 31/03/18 »
Got 18 days to play with end of July so hopefully if I can get started on some much needed walking will be setting off on the Pennine Way fitness permitting

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 11:24:06, 01/04/18 »
When I started the thread I had the West Highland and Great Glen Way walks planned but was undecided about what other LDWs I wanted to do during the year. Since then I have done the West Highland and Great Glen Way walks in Jan and Feb and have planned and booked 3 more.

In 3 weeks time I will be on the North Downs Way walk between Farnham and Dover. There are 2 alternative endings into Dover, one goes through Canterbury and one goes along the coast. I decided to go along the coast and then spend another 2 days completing the loop. A, mostly staying in Pubs and Hotels with the exception of Canterbury YHA walking about 150 miles in 9 days.

In July I am walking the Southern Upland Way, basically a 212 mile Scottish coast to coast in 12 days, mostly staying in Pubs, Hotels and guest houses plus a camping cabin. It wasn't easy to plan as the accommodation along the Way is quite sparse in places and the official guide is way out of date  :(

A couple of weeks later I'm walking the 184 mile Thames Path in 9 days. I found the accommodation prices in most places to be absurd, I only want a place to rest my head, not buy the place or being penalised with the "single supplement"  >:( >:( >:( With that in mind and the fact that public transport is very good around the Thames Path I am staying in 3 YHAs along the route and using the train/bus to get to the start/finish each day. An advantage of this also means about 5 out of the 9 days I won't need to carry all my stuff as it will be in the Hostel  O0

Still thinking about an October walk and also trying to squeeze the Yorkshire Wolds Way and Cleveland Way into the Summer.

You could say that I'm now looking forward to it  O0 O0 O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 13:33:50, 01/04/18 »
I take you’re retired bricam?! With all those walks planned you wouldn’t have time for a job!  ;D

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 15:28:34, 01/04/18 »
I take you’re retired bricam?! With all those walks planned you wouldn’t have time for a job!  ;D

lol, I wish I was, then I'd have even more time  O0

I have 6 weeks holiday each year and try and arrange these to coincide with my long weekends to give me a couple extra days holiday  ;)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #81 on: 16:25:30, 01/04/18 »
My plans for the tour du mont blanc have been put off until next year now.

Now I'm trying to decide on a national trail or Scottish great trail to do. Don't know which one to go for. I've got 10 days at the end of june.

I live in the Chilterns so the ridgeway is on my doorstep. That being said I get to see rolling countryside and open fields everyday. Not that that's a bad thing I'd just like something different.

I'm really looking for terrain that's a bit more rugged (but not too rugged) with lots of water features and woodland. Oh and I'd rather wildcamp the whole way but still have places I can resupply every couple of days so I don't have to carry tons of food.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If not I'll just pick a trail that fits in my time frame and stick with it.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 09:26:41, 02/04/18 »
June in Scotland? Is this the midges season?

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #83 on: 11:39:19, 02/04/18 »
June in Scotland? Is this the midges season?

Good point! I've got plenty of bug nets. But maybe I'll try a little harder to find something in England or Wales.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 18:33:04, 04/04/18 »
We are still hoping to do the 3 peaks that I mentioned at the end of December.  Not booked anything yet but aiming to go to Snowdonia week of 7thMay, Lake district end of June or beg July and Scotland mid September.   My foot problem has been diagnosed as capsulitis and flat feet, and I have an appt to get some orthotics in a couple of weeks. I’ve also been suffering a lot of hip pain recently which could be caused by the foot problems, only time will tell. 

In the meantime we have an unexpected week in the French Alps next week with my daughter, son and their partners.  They are all going skiing/snowboarding and we are mainly going to look after our 6month old grandson.  But hoping to do some walking when not on babysitting duties. We have a chalet in Venosc, much lower down than Les Deux Alpes where they will be skiing and my son in law assures me there won’t be any snow that low down this time of year, but I’m not so sure given how much snow they had over the Easter weekend. Anyway we’re taking our walking boots  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 22:04:03, 04/04/18 »
Spent a super holiday in Venosc a long time ago (1999), when the kids were small. Bought my first walking poles there, great walking country - enjoy!
Solvitur Ambulando

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: 22:24:26, 04/04/18 »
When I started the thread I had the West Highland and Great Glen Way walks planned but was undecided about what other LDWs I wanted to do during the year. Since then I have done the West Highland and Great Glen Way walks in Jan and Feb and have planned and booked 3 more.

In 3 weeks time I will be on the North Downs Way walk between Farnham and Dover. There are 2 alternative endings into Dover, one goes through Canterbury and one goes along the coast. I decided to go along the coast and then spend another 2 days completing the loop. A, mostly staying in Pubs and Hotels with the exception of Canterbury YHA walking about 150 miles in 9 days.

In July I am walking the Southern Upland Way, basically a 212 mile Scottish coast to coast in 12 days, mostly staying in Pubs, Hotels and guest houses plus a camping cabin. It wasn't easy to plan as the accommodation along the Way is quite sparse in places and the official guide is way out of date  :(

A couple of weeks later I'm walking the 184 mile Thames Path in 9 days. I found the accommodation prices in most places to be absurd, I only want a place to rest my head, not buy the place or being penalised with the "single supplement"  >:( >:( >:( With that in mind and the fact that public transport is very good around the Thames Path I am staying in 3 YHAs along the route and using the train/bus to get to the start/finish each day. An advantage of this also means about 5 out of the 9 days I won't need to carry all my stuff as it will be in the Hostel  O0

Still thinking about an October walk and also trying to squeeze the Yorkshire Wolds Way and Cleveland Way into the Summer.

You could say that I'm now looking forward to it  O0 O0 O0

I did the Cleveland way last year lovely except the section from Scarborough to Filey did a lotbof it from Scarborough hostel using the coastal buses.

Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Doddy

« Reply #87 on: 10:38:19, 05/04/18 »
Barewirewalker what was the interesting reason you found.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: 12:12:43, 30/04/18 »
Barewirewalker what was the interesting reason you found.

I think I found it yesterday, walking on the Long Mountain, about 10 miles south west of Shrewsbury. It has no particular summit and is a ridge that extends for 7 miles or so and forms the east side of the valley of the River Severn, where it passes Welshpool.
I once walked the along its length as part of a Shrewsbury to the Welsh coast route, but have done many circular walks in that area.

Yesterday we targeted three dingles as the objectives for the walk, expecting to find a good showing of spring flowers, wood anemones carpeting the woodland floor and primroses cloaking the banks of the of the streams. But what really struck me was the extent of the bluebells still to come. They are going to be as good a showing as anywhere in the country, because of the picturesque settings these dingles provide.

Trouble is most of the rights of way cut across the dingles, not allowing a walk into the full impact of the natural beauty.

I think this deserves a bit more exploration, in all the Long Mountain is fairly well provided for by Rights of way but do these allow it to become the stunning attraction it could be? Field margins allow view points to peer down into the dingles, which have surprisingly steep sides for a so well rounded a hill.

As matter of interest, yesterday, Mrs BWW and I stopped to talk to a farmer, a proper farmer not a landowner, he pays rent and makes very little income. By the time we parted he agreed with me that the CLA will ruin the good name of the British Farmer in the next decade or so. We chewed the fat for 1hr 20mins and talked of everything from slug damage on a field scale to the finer points of Shire horses. So as long as I can remember who his friends are I have a passport to wander freely.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

rosam

« Reply #89 on: 12:25:01, 30/04/18 »
For 2018 I am planning to do Hadrian's Wall in early September and this will be my first ever long distance walk.
I can't wait!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy