Author Topic: Things that I like about walking  (Read 2343 times)

Ho11yberry

Re: Things that I like about walking
« Reply #15 on: 22:21:11, 11/03/18 »

I think it's a great way to spend time with someone else - chat comes easily and silences are never embarrassing. Also love sitting in the bar afterwards with a shared sense of achievement and talking over the day's events.

Thedogsmother

« Reply #16 on: 07:53:12, 12/03/18 »
Great thread.
For me it is just the sheer absence of people and noise. I get quite anxious around lots of people and hustle bustle so I think walking out on the hills is one of the only times I feel truly relaxed. I can think clearly and reflect on things. Let the seeds of creative ideas simmer and bubble away while I’m walking. Focus on the lulls rather than rushing around frantically doing things.

Tin

« Reply #17 on: 08:34:58, 12/03/18 »
Great thread.
For me it is just the sheer absence of people and noise. I get quite anxious around lots of people and hustle bustle so I think walking out on the hills is one of the only times I feel truly relaxed. I can think clearly and reflect on things. Let the seeds of creative ideas simmer and bubble away while I’m walking. Focus on the lulls rather than rushing around frantically doing things.

This pretty much sums up what I get from walking. I do sometimes spice it up with a bit of adventure if I want a bit of excitement at the time, but mainly I walk to relax. The health benefits is a bonus.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:10:28, 12/03/18 »
I think for me, walking in the mountains is a challenge I don’t take for granted.
Having a life long chronic disease means I can’t always achieve what I would like to do.
Being able to plan a walk, then get out there and complete it, taking in the views, experience the whole environment, keep yourself safe and return accomplished and satisfied is so good for my mind body and soul.
It puts me in charge of my Crohn’s disease not the other way around.
So when I am out there, I appreciate life so much more. :)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:16:01, 12/03/18 »
 O0 and good to hear you're now back out there after your op  ;)
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:19:20, 12/03/18 »
Loads of things.

I'll obviously mention some specifics, but there's just something about it that is deeply satisfying, stimulating and joyful. The thousandth time you walk via the canal into town (or whatever your "routine" walk) should be a chore. But it isn't..no real idea why.

On the routes I know well, I enjoy day dreaming. Pondering whether my best position in England cricket team is three or four...weighty questions of that nature.

On routes I know less well there's the fun of planning the navigation, and being just a bit smug that it's so much easier with the GPS than when I used to blunder around in my early days, trying to get a bit better with map and compass. (There's been one or two old walks I've re-done...navigated well and still been cream crackered at end and thought "Jeez when I first did this I probably did an extra six miles due to getting lost...and still felt less tired than this".)

We walkers are really lucky to have an hobby that passes so many hours pleasantly and is so good for the health.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:30:34, 12/03/18 »
If I do a new one-getting rarer, of course-and finding its nice, things I didnt expect.
Free parking if others have paid!
Spring/ summer flowers, spring lambs.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:10:23, 12/03/18 »
Standing on top of a hill that when at the bottom I thought was going to kill me.

Walking along a bluff without vertigo kicking in.

Being in a wide open space just by myself. (Large family syndrome?)

The air gently moving across my baldy pate.

Just being outside and alive.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:28:24, 12/03/18 »
All the above ..... the peace, space, nature, history, new routes discovered, old routes revisited, maps oh yes, definitely maps, people chatted with, rain on the tent roof, food eaten in the fresh air then the food fantasies towards the end of the walk, and that delicious feeling of physical exhaustion with perfect mental contentment that flows over you when at last with a large glass of something refreshing you put your feet up and mull the day over.
Oh yes
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Tin

« Reply #24 on: 16:56:31, 12/03/18 »
I think for me, walking in the mountains is a challenge I don’t take for granted.
Having a life long chronic disease means I can’t always achieve what I would like to do.
Being able to plan a walk, then get out there and complete it, taking in the views, experience the whole environment, keep yourself safe and return accomplished and satisfied is so good for my mind body and soul.
It puts me in charge of my Crohn’s disease not the other way around.
So when I am out there, I appreciate life so much more. :)

My daughter has Crohn's and I (albeit not firsthand) know what you mean. She has only just started to want to do big walks again after a couple of bad years and it's good to know that she can do them again. Thank you for your honest post. O0

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:36:38, 12/03/18 »

My daughter has Crohn's and I (albeit not firsthand) know what you mean. She has only just started to want to do big walks again after a couple of bad years and it's good to know that she can do them again. Thank you for your honest post. O0
Thanks Tin, if ever you need a chat PM me  O0    
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:17:35, 12/03/18 »
A good thread, making interesting read from the many posts.

For me the countryside is my place, I have little time for those, who think I should not be there (as I have probably posted enough examples). A wonderful decade in my younger days, where I probably won 'my spurs' in the higher country and dangling in space, serves to balance my views between the various disciplines of walking.

The Part I love is 'Discovery', about myself, my partner and where I am. I do not have to go the the Amazon Jungles or Antarctica to explore it is on my doorstep, or even just over some horizon I can discover from a map. Down the road, over the Welsh Border, in the Pennines even Scotland on occasions.

Even just off the North Circular  :crazy2:
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy