Author Topic: Which ladies backpack/daypack????  (Read 1306 times)

Magic girl

Which ladies backpack/daypack????
« on: 15:40:39, 29/03/18 »
I'm starting to sort our what essential kit i need as it turns out i had quiet a bit of stuff already as I occasionally run so i have sweat wicking breathable tops and leggings and as i walk a fair bit now i have some salomon walking boots.I could really do with a back pack for day use such as shorter walkes and day trips,i only need it to fit a couple of drink bottles maybe a flask a packed lunch and a warmer layer top and a lightweight waterproof layer x2 as i will probably end up carrying hubbys stuff.I really like the look of the osprey backpacks but im unsure which to get its a bit confusing.Also I'm very short at 5tf1 so i want to avoid looking like a pack horse.Can anyone recommend which one i should start with as i will be buying online as i live in the middle of nowhere,I'm planning on buying a bigger weekend sized one later in the year as i will probably need to fit in bulkier layers.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Which ladies backpack/daypack????
« Reply #1 on: 16:16:04, 29/03/18 »
Really you need to try on packs if you're spending serious money.  Alternatively just get a cheap pack that you can throw away if you find it's no good, Aldi, Lidl etc often have them for around a tenner.
Where there's a will ...

RogerA

« Reply #2 on: 16:27:31, 29/03/18 »
Osprey in my experience tend to be very tight on the hip strap - if you're a slight / athletic build they're good packs.

For day walking you shouldnt need anything too big, I've walked a lot with a 25l backpack and now have a 35l Lowe Alpine and have far more space than I've used so far. In looking for this I tried on a lot and can absolutly echo sussambs comments about the need to try them on yourself and find what suits you.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:35:37, 29/03/18 »
I bought a Lowe Alpine daypack online and unseen, it was nicely made and good to wear, but what the ads at the time didn't reveal was that everything inside was a bright orange colour which I couldn't live with as I only like muted, earthy colours. (I think the ads were changed after I took it up with LA.)

I returned that and bought instead a Vaude one, again online. This is well made too but to be honest the shoulder straps could do with a bit of padding, while I've readjusted it umpteem times and it still doesn't feel quite right when I'm walking.

Therefore I second what the previous two posters have said about trying them on.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:40:42, 29/03/18 »
I use a Lidl knapsack as a day bag.  I have put some padding (car seat belt should pads) on the waist strap over my hips but otherwise find it ok. Carries my poncho,  my sarnies, a flask of tea ,water  and on fine days my jacket, gloves and hat. For the price I could not ask for better. £12.99.

I love my osprey exos  for long hikes. Whereas the cheapy had problems to be sorted regarding waistband I have found the Osprey to be more than comfortable out of the bag it came in. It carries tent sleeping bag clothes etc anything needed for more days away from home.

BUT I tried before I bought. .......
Too little, too late, too bad......

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:06:51, 29/03/18 »
Anything between 20-30 litres will suits your needs but the final choice comes down to what fits you and is comfortable and depends on what features you need or want and how much you want to spend. Without wishing to state the obvious you don't need to fill a larger pack but once a small pack is full there's no room for anything else.

I would recommend that you try them on before buying to ensure that they fit your body shape and back length and have comfortable shoulder straps and waist belt.

A couple of options to look at

Osprey Tempest 20 from around £65
Osprey Sirrus 24 from £70
Osprey Sirrus 26 from £76
Osprey Hikelite 26 from £55
Lowe Alpine AirZone Trail ND 24 from £65
Deuter Mistral 28 Ladies from £49

Check out places like Go Outdoors, Millets & Blacks online for special offers and discount codes and amazon is sometimes worth a look as occasional bargains pop up on there from time to time.
« Last Edit: 09:24:45, 30/03/18 by kinkyboots »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:55:10, 29/03/18 »
I'm not sure you do need to try on a small day sack. Obviously, as you say you are short then it would be daft to buy a long/mens fitting but if you simply need to carry food and drink for the day, waterproofs, maybe a spare layer, phone and money 20litres should be plenty big enough. I would go for the Alpkit Gourdon 20L. Lightweight, side pockets for water bottles, well padded shoulder straps and hip belt to give a bit of stability (I don't think you need more support for a day pack) waterproof and cheap. Also, if it's half empty then, as it has a roll top, you can make it smaller so it looks even neater on you.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/gourdon-20
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

scottk

« Reply #7 on: 22:58:55, 29/03/18 »
I have a Deuter speed lite 20 which is a great little pack for a day on the hills.
Another pack coming out later this year is the Lowe Alpine Fuse 20 which is going to be £30 and looks brilliant. Unfortunately not out until later this year but I will be getting one.
« Last Edit: 23:03:37, 29/03/18 by scottk »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy