Author Topic: 6 dales challenge - pure challenge  (Read 11499 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: 6 dales challenge - pure challenge
« Reply #30 on: 22:48:31, 23/04/18 »

Why would a cowboy company go to the trouble and expense of registering at Companies House? 

Why would a cowboy company go to the trouble and expense of calling in the administrators?

Surely a cowboy company would just set up some website, no doubt with poorly written T&Cs, no landline/postal address, no names of owners/directors, get their money and do a runner?

I believe they are/were a legitimate company who has struggled to keep their heads above water before finally accepting defeat.

Name calling and aggression is only painting you in a bad light.  Even if I did know these guys (or gals) I wouldn't tell you who they were seeing as you sound like you'd take them for a long walk off a short pier.  Anger and frustration at being let down and potentially losing money I can understand.  The aggressive tone which you have had from your first post, I can not. 

Your gripe is with the company, not the people.  As a company director, I'm sure you will understand this.

Just claim your money back via your card and paypal and have done with it.

Life really is too short.

Peakyste

« Reply #31 on: 23:10:53, 23/04/18 »
Just have a look at the responces on trip advisor and you get a better idea of them anyway.  Yes life is short and im glad its not you who has paid for accommodation etc not just fees which can be claimed back.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 23:16:16, 23/04/18 »

You've paid for accommodation?  Great.  Still go.  Walk some of that aggression away  O0

Peakyste

« Reply #33 on: 23:22:20, 23/04/18 »
I havent i was refering to many others who have . But yes i do agree with u i will be walking away that aggression  😃
On the route

Peakyste

« Reply #34 on: 23:25:51, 23/04/18 »
One last thing tho !! Company directors can be held liable if the monies where gained fraudulently , as im aware u already know. Looking at their history its  not the first time they have done this. So they will be getting looked into believe me

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 23:35:45, 23/04/18 »
Just so you're aware, when a company is "in administration", the administrators help the company repay debts rather than face insolvency or liquidation.  Administrators are legally appointed by courts/the company or its creditors.

Aye, sounds like a right cowboy setup to me  ::)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 08:03:53, 24/04/18 »
Just so you're aware, when a company is "in administration", the administrators help the company repay debts rather than face insolvency or liquidation.  Administrators are legally appointed by courts/the company or its creditors.

Aye, sounds like a right cowboy setup to me  ::)

It may be (effectively a cowboy company).

Some people do repeatedly set up companies formally, register them etc...and have no real intention of honestly providing the goods and services they advertise.

Formally setting up isn’t that much trouble and expense and puts a gloss of respectability over the enterprise that helps the con.

Gadabout explained it really well. Of course, honest companies can run into trouble...but the give a way is the character and track record of the directors: are they often associated with a string of failing ventures?

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 10:50:44, 24/04/18 »
 This company sounds like it is run by a gang of criminals.How can a company that has high demand, a good customer base,low overheads and takes money up front go bust? It would be interesting to identify the directors and see if they have been involved with previous operations of this nature.Here again,the directors might be front men taking a cut whilst the really big players hide in the background.It is inevitable that this market will attract criminals out to make a fast buck as all you need is a fancy website and the net to bring in business.

It was only £45. For the challenge. But imagine how many of them they have had. Cant believe nobody has got a grip of them

I would advise anyone who wants to do challenge walks to join the LDWA and enter events that are run by honest people who know what they are doing.Entry fees are peanuts compared to what these cowboys are asking.The LDWA charges £7 for the same route.I was in business for more than thirty years and have often done a quick costing when reading adverts for these events.Where exactly are the overheads and how do they justify their absurd entry fees? Lets say you get 200 starters at £45 per person.That is a grand total of £9000 paid up front.The facilities are rent free other than perhaps hiring a village hall at charity event rates for a day,no business rates,minimum advertising costs, volunteers at check points (would they stack shelves for free at Tesco?),no electric or water to pay for,and very low medical back up costs.Its a business model that Arthur Daley would have been proud of.
« Last Edit: 11:11:04, 24/04/18 by tonyk »

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 11:10:30, 24/04/18 »
It won't help this time but I can recommend challenge walks organised by the Long Distance Walkers Association.
They aren't out to make a profit so cost is generally much more reasonable, as an example the South Downs marathon organised by the Sussex group is only £10 for non LDWA members and includes a checkpoint with refreshments, a couple of water stops and a light meal at the finish.
I just picked that particular event at random, I've done similar things with the South Wales group and Bristol and West.
Organised brilliantly by walkers for walkers and a bargin. O0

Enjoy every sandwich

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 11:11:28, 24/04/18 »
Doh just realised Tony beat me to it!
Enjoy every sandwich

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 18:20:19, 24/04/18 »
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the use of the term "cowboy".  To me, that means someone who is intentionally trying to rip people off with shoddy workmanship.

All I'm seeing here is a company that's gone into administration.  Whether or not the owners/directors of the company have deliberately set the company up with intention of fiddling folks out of hard-earned dosh or not remains to be seen.  I, personally, don't think that they did.  Yes, granted.  There's a few disgruntled customers who have to try to get their money back and yes, that must be a ball-ache for them.  But, that would happen with any company who ceases trading if it hasn't been wound down.  Are all companies that go into administration scams?

I still believe, if Pure Challenge were a set of rip-off merchants, they would have taken the money and run - and not put themselves or been put into administration.

It does seem more like poor/bad management skills rather than intentional wrongdoing.

But hey .... guilty until proved innocent I suppose  ;)

Now, I'm willing to eat a great big chunk of Humble Pie if someone can provide some sort of proof, with actual facts, that they are con merchants.  Sorry but a few write ups from mardy-arsed customers on trip advisor doesn't count.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 18:56:10, 24/04/18 »
... a few write ups from mardy-arsed customers on trip advisor doesn't count.

Hear hear, Mel - well said.
Skip

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 19:06:48, 24/04/18 »
Their website says they have ceased trading, no mention of administration but reading on here would suggest that previously it mentioned administration.

If the company has entered administration I would have expected the website would have been handed over to the administrators as it's part of the business. At this point usually the mention the fact the company is in administration and give their email address so that any potential creditors can contact them to try and get information. Anyone who's paid money is now a creditor.

Who are the administrators then? Do they actually exist or is it just something this company said to lie some more?

Big difference between going into administration and ceased trading.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 21:11:23, 24/04/18 »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 21:18:56, 24/04/18 »

It does seem more like poor/bad management skills rather than intentional wrongdoing.

If its not a scam its hard to see how such a business model can have cashflow problems unless they have been suddenly hit with a large VAT or tax bill.Webster's other company went bust last year so people were in effect trusting their money to a failed company director who is either a crook or completely incompetent.With the big bucks involved it was inevitable that this booming industry would attract some very dubious characters.Seven hundred plus starters at £45 a throw is good money for a few days work.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy