Author Topic: Offa's dyke  (Read 1469 times)

dank86

Offa's dyke
« on: 11:12:00, 06/05/18 »
Hello all!

Final been able to get enough time off to do Offa's dyke, I'll be starting on June 16th and hoping to do it in 10/11 days. Been acting around with my kit, just got a new 1 man that's 1.5kg instead of the 5kg I'd normally use during multiple day hikes from the same location.

Anyway who done it here and any tips?

Edit, just found the long distance section, my phone makes it a bit awkward to navigate sometimes

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Offa's dyke
« Reply #1 on: 12:30:48, 06/05/18 »
No tips on camping as I used b&b but it's an enjoyable walk so have a great time  O0
Where there's a will ...

zuludog

« Reply #2 on: 17:04:37, 06/05/18 »
I haven't done it, but I know a couple of people who have, by backpacking & camping, so it can be done

I've also heard it referred to as 'the walk of a thousand stiles'

dank86

« Reply #3 on: 17:49:57, 06/05/18 »

Thanks sussamb it's been on the back burner for a while so can't wait to get going now!

Zuludog thanks for the tip, hand t heard it called that before lol, I may have to count them on the way see if we can get an accurate count 😂

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:26:56, 06/05/18 »
I've also heard it referred to as 'the walk of a thousand stiles'

I'm not sure that's totally accurate  ;)
Where there's a will ...

dank86

« Reply #5 on: 18:50:47, 06/05/18 »
Just out the tent up, goes up very easily and quickly which is nice, only draw back is its inner pitch first, I'm looking to get a tarp anyway so that'll solve any rain issue. I tried the tent in the store, well earned nickname of the coffin!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:17:57, 06/05/18 »
I'm not sure that's totally accurate  ;)
National Trail website shows "The Trail has long been notorious for the number of stiles on the route. Many of these have been removed in recent years and we plan to reduce these still further to make the Trail more accessible."  When I walked it in 2013 I don't recall it being a big problem, so if they have made even more progress then it shouldn't be any worse than other paths.

zuludog

« Reply #7 on: 19:25:22, 06/05/18 »
Hello all!

Final been able to get enough time off to do Offa's dyke, I'll be starting on June 16th and hoping to do it in 10/11 days. Been acting around with my kit, just got a new 1 man that's 1.5kg instead of the 5kg I'd normally use during multiple day hikes from the same location.

What is your new tent?
Perhaps we can give you some tips/advice on how to pitch an inner first more quickly or easily

dank86

« Reply #8 on: 19:42:39, 06/05/18 »
Should have said really lol, totally forgot in all the excitement 😂😂

It's the oex phoxx 1 aka the coffin lol, pitch time is really quick as it is, i know if it was hammering down there's a chance of getting wet, I want a tarp anyway because there's no vestibule area so need somewhere to sit and cook

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:06:31, 06/05/18 »
I have an inner pitch first tent, a Marmot Pulsar One. I have no real problems when it rains. I use my tent footprint to secure the tent poles then I throw over and fix the outer tent in the same way as normal. Once done, I just get under the outer tent with my inner tent and secure it to the poles. A bit of a wiggle but its fairly easy to do. If you haven't a tent footprint, just measure a couple of strings with a loop in each end and use these to support and tension the tent poles.

I enjoyed Offa's Dyke, especialy from Newport to Welshpool and found no problems in camping. I remember one in particulat, in Knighton. Its about half a mile from the train station, just walk straight ahead from the station, the rail line stays on your left as you walk along a narrow tarmac road. The camp site is a small field next to a farm on the left. I was there last year, £5 for the night, very nice lady, the grass was lush, like sleeping on a soft mattress. Then just a short stroll into the village, either by retracing your steps back to the railway station and then turn right, the first pub on your right is a good one. Or from the small field, cross the railway line, follow the footpath alongside the small river and you then come out onto the road at the Council Offices, turn left into the village.

Have fun and I hope the weather is good. Knighton is also the southern start for Glyndyrs Way. If you really wanted to make your walk even longer, hike this route, it eventually finishes at Welshpool and then you can rejoins the Offa's Dyke path.

dank86

« Reply #10 on: 20:13:49, 06/05/18 »
Thanks for the tip gunwharfman, I'll deffo be having a few practice runs before I go, weather is meant to be wet Wednesday here so sounds perfect lol. I've spoken with the Offa's dyke center in knighting and arranged to send myself a little care package there for me to pick up, fresh socks and a restock of food should be nice at the half way point 😊.

This tent has got two sheaths for the poles over the top of the inner but I'm sure I could do it under the outer if it was that bad

zuludog

« Reply #11 on: 20:55:51, 06/05/18 »
I've Searched YouTube, there are several reports on the OEX Phoxx; worth watching if you haven't done so already
OEX is Go Outdoors own brand of backpacking gear, and though it might not compare with the very best brands, it's good enough for the money

I can't see any easy ways to pitch it fly first or as a unit, but I think that with practice you could pitch it quite quickly up to the point of getting the flysheet thrown over, then you could relax just a bit to do the final pegging & adjusting
Remember that even if it's raining when you pitch the inner will dry quickly once you get it covered
Because it's a small tent I would peg put all the guys, even if the weather is good & settled. This will give you the maximum space available, and also help to reduce condensation

It is small, but there does seem to be just enough space to manage; and there is a porch/alcove of some kind, so you could store gear & cook. Once you start using it you'll learn how to make the best use of the space
I'd say stay with this till you've learned its ins & outs; and that will give you time to think more carefully about a tarp or other replacement

Does it come with steel pegs? You can save a bit of weight by replacing them. Titanium are the lightest, but expensive. I think MSR Needle Tent Stakes are a good compromise between cost & weight

What stove do you use? A hose connected gas stove will sit a bit lower than a cartridge top one. I think Go Outdoors are discontinuing their OEX stoves & pan sets, so you might be able to find a bargain

dank86

« Reply #12 on: 21:15:58, 06/05/18 »
Yea I've seen the reports and stuff on oex and knew its own brand, not a tent for winter but that's fine by me got others for that 🙂
There is one phoxx that has a little porch area this one has maybe an inch or two lol so will probably need a small tarp anyways.

I got a Coleman firepower alpine sits nice and low with the fuel pipe coming off it, I don't like the stoves on top of the canister setup find it hight instable.

The pegs are thin steel and coming in at 17.9g each I've all ready been looking and titanium ones 😂

It's a right pita having to get a fair bit of gear again after the ex decided to make sure it wasn't usable again...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy