Author Topic: Looking for feedback about walking in France  (Read 1294 times)

Hills

Looking for feedback about walking in France
« on: 17:09:07, 20/05/18 »

Hello, We're hoping that you might be able to help us. We have a holiday cottage for rent in the south west of France, and we're thinking about how to improve our service for walkers. Any feedback you can give on this idea would be really appreciated.

Our gite currently has two en-suite bedrooms, a wood burner, jacuzzi and a pool. From September, an additional en-suite bedroom will be available, so we'll have 2 doubles and 1 twin.

We're considering creating a gourmet package for walkers, combining walks, picnics and evening meals, with as few or as many meals prepared for guests as they want.

In your opinion, would a gourmet package be of any interest to you if you were considering a walking holiday in France? What else would you look for? Or what would really make the difference?

Thank you in advance for any feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Hills

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Looking for feedback about walking in France
« Reply #1 on: 10:08:55, 21/05/18 »
When you say the south west of France...where ? As SW covers a very large area....
It's all uphill from here.

Hills

« Reply #2 on: 12:01:16, 21/05/18 »
Hi Slowcoach, many thanks for your reply. We're 45 minutes from Carcassonne, close to the GR367. What I think is one of our main advantages though is that we have over 20 signposted walks, ranging from a couple of hours to a few days, around us, with views of the Pyrenees. Combining that with a comfortable gite, it could make a great holiday for walkers. Someone else suggested that maybe a pick up and drop off service might appeal, what do you think?

Once again, many thanks

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:15:59, 21/05/18 »
The online info looks really attractive. Yes, a pickup and drop off service would definitely attract more people. I have driven from Caen down to the Pyrenees many times but your area does look inviting.

Hills

« Reply #4 on: 12:36:27, 21/05/18 »
Thanks for that, spread the word  ;) !

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:09:41, 21/05/18 »
Having local walking maps and guides in the gite would be a good idea.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:27:51, 21/05/18 »
Having local walking maps and guides in the gite would be a good idea.

A very good idea and if there are local guides perhaps their contact details.

Hills

« Reply #7 on: 16:30:38, 21/05/18 »
Hi Slowcoach, thanks for that, we've got maps for 20 or so local walks in the gite and I think I would be happy to be a guide, as long as I can take the two dogs with me  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:28:00, 21/05/18 »
Hi Slowcoach, thanks for that, we've got maps for 20 or so local walks in the gite and I think I would be happy to be a guide, as long as I can take the two dogs with me  ;D

And providing you have the appropriate Brevet if you are doing as part of a commercial venture.
Solvitur Ambulando

Hills

« Reply #9 on: 20:50:24, 21/05/18 »
Thank you very much Ninthace. Although I do not have any formal qualifications, I have insurance and experience. Would that be sufficient or, if I was considering leading a walk, would I need a recognised qualification too?
Your advice is very much appreciated

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:34:16, 21/05/18 »
Thank you very much Ninthace. Although I do not have any formal qualifications, I have insurance and experience. Would that be sufficient or, if I was considering leading a walk, would I need a recognised qualification too?
Your advice is very much appreciated
I did look in to it when I lived near Luchon and was thinking about guiding as a sideline. However, I would suggest you make direct enquiries because the “rules” can vary with time (and prefefecture in my experience) - witness the series of arrests in the Alps of non French ski guides even those that had BASI qualifications. Any research I have is nearly 15 years out of date and certainly not Brexited. Try contacting the FFRP Federation francais de randonees pedestre  in the first instance. Their website is https://www.ffrandonnee.fr/ There is a section for animateurs. https://formation.ffrandonnee.fr/html/4
Qualifications required etc are here https://formation.ffrandonnee.fr/html/9/randonnee-pedestre

See also https://www.simplysavoie.com/article/unqualified-walking-guide-france-risks

PS if you haven’t already found out from trying to run a business in France, researching this will make you understand why bureaucracy is a French word.
« Last Edit: 00:00:43, 22/05/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Hills

« Reply #11 on: 06:25:25, 22/05/18 »
That is great advice, thanks, I'll definitely look into it. Having lived in France for a while, I know that bureaucracy doesn't change very quickly  :)

dank86

« Reply #12 on: 12:39:03, 22/05/18 »
I loved living in sw france, miss it so much.
I know I'd be happy booking a package that would include gourmet local cuisine one evening, as others have mentioned maps and guides (if you need another guide give me a shout 😂). A list of local shops that sell equipment would be handy because something always breaks and hey you need souvenirs 😜

Hills

« Reply #13 on: 13:23:20, 22/05/18 »
Thanks Dank, I think we might be moving towards some sort of a plan, including food, maps and possibly a pick up, drop off service. The only problem that remains is how to get the word out to enough people  ;D

dank86

« Reply #14 on: 13:28:17, 22/05/18 »
Setup a Facebook page, see if you can post in Facebook groups etc.
You could invite a few higher profile YouTubers to do some of the walks and for them  mentioning your gite they get their accommodation free?
« Last Edit: 13:33:09, 22/05/18 by dank86 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy