Author Topic: Walking the Leeds Liverpool Canal  (Read 3211 times)

canalwalker

Walking the Leeds Liverpool Canal
« on: 08:04:41, 18/05/07 »
Hello!
I am slowly but surely making my way along the Leeds - Liverpool Canal, starting in Liverpool. I have walked the first 98.25 miles split into short walks of between 3 and 15 miles.
I thought I would post here to say how good this canal is for walkers. Most of the canal is alongside railways and roads which mean you can walk between stations and get there and back easily. The canal passes through inner city areas with very interesting (but rapidly disappearing) industrial archaeology, and many miles of countryside from the Lancashire plains to the Pennines and Aire Valley. The Pennine Way crosses the canal near Gargrave, and the canal is a more scenic alternative for one section.

I was wondering if anyone from ths forum had walked on this canal? I have a website promoting the canal and giving some history of it and would be interested to hear what walkers think of it and what sort of information walkers would be looking for when planning a walk or choosing a route.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking the Leeds Liverpool Canal
« Reply #1 on: 08:40:56, 18/05/07 »
Morning, Canawalker, welcome to the forum.

Your walk sounds very interesting.  I like the idea of mixing the rural with the urban setting, must be quite startling the contrast?

Please post the link to your website so I can check it out. 

Regards, Mr. B.  ;)

canalwalker

« Reply #2 on: 09:17:31, 18/05/07 »
The city centre parts, Burnley, Blackburn, Liverpool, can be very quiet while some of the countryside bits Gargrave, Parbold etc can be very busy with walkers and cyclists.
I like the fact its one continuous man made structure which links all the different towns and views and features. Its the same canal but can look completely different.

my site is www.towpathtreks.co.uk [nofollow] a work in progress!

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:31:20, 18/05/07 »
Hi there,

Am at work right now, so have only been able to give your site a brief scan, but it certainly seems like a labour of love.  ;)

127 miles from start to finish, have you ever been tempted to do it as a continuous walk?

canalwalker

« Reply #4 on: 11:00:47, 18/05/07 »
I might be tempted to cycle it over a weekend. Because I take so many photos while walking new bits I dont make much progress. When I have "done" the canal Liverpool to Leeds I might turn around and walk back. All depends on what the British Summer is like this year! The longer walks are the most rewarding and as I said the canal is well served by rail so its probably the easiest canal to do it on.

solo backpacker

« Reply #5 on: 18:20:59, 18/05/07 »
i've got a lot of time for canals. i spent my youth walking and riding the canals around gnosall and the sourrounding areas. i was lucky enough to be brought up in a mid sized village with my friends spend between the other villages in the area. the only sensible routes connecting them for a young lad with a bike were the canals. good fishing, great woods and loads of people to meet and chat with. been a while since i've been on the leeds canal but reading this might just tempt me to go check it out again.
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy