Author Topic: TR Crinkles, Cold Pike, Pike O'Blisco, pitch on Wrynose Fell 20 to 21 May 18  (Read 1441 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1
After 4 bus journeys and almost 4 hours after we left home we arrived in Great Langdale at just after 11am. The journey on the 555 had been traumatic. I'd had to move seats after being continually hit by this bloke's elbow when he sat beside us. Then I got an ear bashing from these two women who never stopped for air.

It was sunny with a blue sky but the wind was blowing a bit, even in the valley. The long distance views were a bit hazy.

On the way to Stool End, Crinkle Crags and Bowfell in shot

We had planned to go up The Band but we were concerned the water sources higher up might have been dry because we haven't had much rain so we walked through Oxendale toward Whorneyside Force, there would be a water source for sure on the way up.

We were planning to do Bowfell first, Crinkle Crags, Cold Pike, Pike O'Blisco and pitch somewhere on Wrynose Fell.

Pike O'Stickle and Loft Crag

The route through Oxendale

We stopped for some lunch when we go to the footbridge below Whorneyside Force and made sure we had enough water to be going on with. It was still hot in the sun despite the wind.

Whorneyside Force

We didn't follow the usual path that climbs steeply up beside Hell Gill, preferring to wind our way up the valley at an easier gradient, albeit pathless

Hell Gill and the steep path seen to its left

On the way up to the Three Tarns

Looking back toward Pike O'Blisco

We met the Hell Gill path eventually and we were pleased when we got to the Three Tarns, it had seemed to take ages. It had taken a while, longer than it would have if we have climbed The Band and we decided to leave Bowfell out and headed left toward Crinkle Crags.

The Scafells from Crinkle Crags

Bowfell from Crinkle Crags

Crinkle Crags summit is in the centre of the shot

We had to put a layer on here the wind was cold and unrelenting, we were pretty fed up of it by now.

Pike O'Blisco looks a long way away

Beefy on Crinkle Crags summit

We got the summit to ourselves after being plagued by limpets on the way. We took the easier route off the top avoiding the Bad Step. Not something I would want to descend carrying camping gear.

Looking back at The Bad Step

Cold Pike and the Coniston Fells

We stopped for a break below the last Crinkle, we were getting tired it had been a tough day. We were pleased we hadn't included Bowfell, we would have been too tired to get onto Pike O'Blisco

Beefy on Cold Pike summit

The Crinkles and Bowfell from Cold Pike summit

It was 5 oclock by this time and we thought we would have the last climb to ourselves. No, the family from hell came up from the Wrynose Pass, the children shouting and screaming at the top of their lungs behind us as we ascended.

Beefy on Pike O'Blisco summit

At least we got there before the family from hell and got some pics.

The Coniston Fells from Pike O'Blisco

Looking towards Wrynose Fell and Blake Rigg

We descended toward Wrynose Fell but we veered off the main path to avoid the scrambly bits. It would be too difficult for me with the camping gear but I am sure Beefy would have managed it. We saw a couple putting a tarp up on the way to Wrynose Fell. We made sure we gave them a wide berth, nowt worse than someone walking close beside you when you think you have found an off path pitch for the night. We got some water from a beck below Wrynose Fell and found a spot quite quickly. We put the water on to filter and then we got the tent up and our gear sorted inside

The MSR on Wrynose Fell with the Langdale Pikes behind

We had our tea and had some wine. The cloud had built up and it had got quite chilly. We zipped up the tent to keep warm and wondered how the couple in the tarp were doing. The must be made of sterner stuff than us, we prefer the warmth of a tent. The cloud built up so much we didn't get a sunset view. Never mind we'd had a great day, although it was tiring over the rough terrain.

Our route was ODG - Whorneyside Force - The 3 Tarns - Crinkle Crags - Cold Pike - Pike O'Blisco - Wrynose Fell 13.3km with 1216m ascent.

Day 2

I work up at about 4.30 and saw we were going to get a pretty good sunrise. Beefy got his camera timelapsing and I closed my eyes planning to get up in ten minutes so I could get some photos. I woke up 45 minutes later and it was all over, the sun was above the horizon  :( The timelapse was stunning and I missed out on some fab shots  :'(

Pike O'Blisco, Crinkle Crags and Bowfell

We'd had our breakfast and Willo got a flight in before we packed the gear up. Our legs were feeling the walk from yesterday and we didn't want too hard a walk.

Descending to Great Langdale

Looking at Kettle Crag on the left and The Band right

We noticed there might be some good places to pitch up on Kettle Crag

The Langdale Pikes from the road down to ODG

We started walking toward Elterwater along the bridleway

Pike O'Bisco, Crinkle Crags and Bowfell

What you looking at?

A last look back at Great Langdale

We got to Chapel Stile and had something to eat and a drink sitting on our chairs on some grass near the village. We got the bus at 11.17, we were tired and felt like an early finish. Our route was Wrynose Fell - ODG - Stickle Tavern - Chapel Stile 8km with 52m ascent.

A good weekend, just missing a sunset view. I must try and get up for the sunrise, that is two I have missed now.
Hate will never win

Charlieslater

The Crinkles drive me up the wall. Done them loads of times and always have a Nav blip in the same place ( Keep too far left off the first one) Think I would have learned my lesson but apparently not.
53 years old=only 4 more world cups/Olympic games.

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics and tr Ape O0
We got some excellent weather
Just wait till ya see the pics I got from  last nights  escapade  ;D
Fancy a wc this weekend  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April looks glorious, definitely worth you putting up with the bus journey and family from hell so that I can see them  ;)

Crinkles, Cold Pike and PoB all on my list for this summers trip :)

karl h

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics from a brilliant area to explore. Glad my auntie Agnes and her screaming kids found you, I'd  told them you were in the area :)

April

• Veteran Member
The Crinkles drive me up the wall. Done them loads of times and always have a Nav blip in the same place

;D Even in clear weather the path isn't always obvious as you say and it is easy to go wrong. We lost the path at one point and had to backtrack a little. For anyone doing it for the first time - follow the cairns but only if they are the right cairns to follow  ;)

Just wait till ya see the pics I got from  last nights  escapade  ;D

I dread to think what they are  :o  ;)

Lovely photos April looks glorious, definitely worth you putting up with the bus journey and family from hell so that I can see them  ;)

;D Thanks Ridge, I hope you get good weather for your visit  :)

Glad my auntie Agnes and her screaming kids found you, I'd  told them you were in the area :)

>:( What happened to www.avoidingaprilandbeefy.com?
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April    :)    I especially like the second one

henryb

• Veteran Member
Great report and photos April O0  Brings back memories from my favourite walk :)

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks Dovegirl and henry  O0
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics again April - and what a place to pitch the MSR - some view.

Paul

photonut

Brill photos April... as always!

The views (when the weather is kind) all around Blisco/ Crinkles/ Bow Fell are just breath taking, which you've captured nicely.

Oh the family from hell...... they don't half get about a bit!!  They were on Harter Fell (Mardale) on 7 May, Bow Fell on the 12 May and The Old Man of Coniston on 18 May  >:(   Perhaps they'll have a weekend off this coming weekend?

Cheers
Lee

pleb

• Veteran Member
The family from hell have a busy itinery, I send em details of A n B's trips so they can follow em ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

photonut

The family from hell have a busy itinery, I send em details of A n B's trips so they can follow em ;D

:2funny:

I don't suppose you could send them somewhere like the mid-Atlantic this weekend so we all get a rest?  :)

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Although it was a long trip to get there it looked well worthwhile. Lovely photos again April  O0

Shame about the family from hell but at least it gave their neighbours a day's peace  ::)
Regards Keith

adalard

• Veteran Member
Excellent TR and pictures, April - the colours are so vibrant! Especially liked the one of Pike O' Blisco and the one of Bowfell.  O0

The journey there sounds more than a bit grim though!  :(

They shouldn't allow the public on public transport, they spoil it for everyone else!  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy