Author Topic: Trail names  (Read 1691 times)

dank86

Trail names
« on: 16:57:39, 23/05/18 »
I know it's tradition to adopt a trail name when doing thru hikes in the US but not something I've come across in the UK, I know our trails aren't as long as some but think it would be kind of cool to adopt a hiking name.

Anyone here adopt a trail name?

I'd probably be lord vaper

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Trail names
« Reply #1 on: 18:42:19, 23/05/18 »
Why? I've been using my name for the past 60 years, I'm used to it, people know me by it. Only reason for as alias is your up to no good.

dank86

« Reply #2 on: 18:47:25, 23/05/18 »
It's a bit of harmless fun on the trail, like I said in the US it's a tradition to adopt a trail name, people even sign the log books with their trail names, they aren't up to no good they're just having a bit of fun while hiking, if it's not for you that's fair enough

RogerA

« Reply #3 on: 16:46:09, 24/05/18 »
Why? I've been using my name for the past 60 years, I'm used to it, people know me by it. Only reason for as alias is your up to no good.
In a way I agree - I dont see the need for it nor any benefit, however people do adopt aliases for other reasons that being up to no good - just look at all our names on this forum ... erm Owen ... well perhaps not you :) or me :)
Sounds like a bit of fun thats commonplace for our American cousins that because we're not used to it seems bizarre this side of the pond.

Roger

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:16:20, 24/05/18 »

At least with a trail name you get to choose it yourself.... unlike a nickname which your (so called) mates give you  ;D

Life doesn't have to be serious all the time... honestly!

dank86

« Reply #5 on: 18:25:43, 24/05/18 »
Mel sometimes you pick your trail name sometimes you get given it 😜

I vape hence lord vaper lol

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:21:30, 24/05/18 »
Ahhh, a kind of "calling" trail name.  oooh we're going all Native American Indian now  :D

I also vape so I could by Lady Vape.... though I'd probably prefer Vapour Trail  ;)   Definitely not Chief Big Smoke, that's for sure  ;D

To be honest, I'd probably enjoy seeing some of the more "inventive" trail names.  Similarly I like some of the past/earlier forum members' names - the one that sticks in my mind is "One F In Foreigner" - a clever play on words.  Most recently, though probably a troll, was Hugh Jarse.

.... Says me with the most unimaginative forum name ever  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:23:23, 24/05/18 »
Ahhh, a kind of "calling" trail name.  oooh we're going all Native American Indian now  :D

I also vape so I could by Lady Vape.... though I'd probably prefer Vapour Trail  ;)   Definitely not Chief Big Smoke, that's for sure  ;D

To be honest, I'd probably enjoy seeing some of the more "inventive" trail names.  Similarly I like some of the past/earlier forum members' names - the one that sticks in my mind is "One F In Foreigner" - a clever play on words.  Most recently, though probably a troll, was Hugh Jarse.

.... Says me with the most unimaginative forum name ever  ;D

Did Hugh have a friend called Ivor Biggun?
Solvitur Ambulando

dank86

« Reply #8 on: 19:28:09, 24/05/18 »
Mel you should use vapour trail, that's awesome!

And yea I think we should have a bit of fun with aliases why not isn't it, things are serious enough these days.

Hugh Jarse is fun but I bet there is someone actually called that 😂

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:39:08, 24/05/18 »

Did Hugh have a friend called Ivor Biggun?

Aye, and I think he was related to Ben Dover  :D

Ohhhh yes, c'mon folks, what would your trail name be.... just for [censored] n giggles like.....

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:51:35, 24/05/18 »

Aye, and I think he was related to Ben Dover  :D

Ohhhh yes, c'mon folks, what would your trail name be.... just for [censored] n giggles like.....

the Flying Scotsman  :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:54:16, 24/05/18 »
See?  Choosing your own trail name is far better than the nickname your ... erm... friends would give you Bri  :P

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:08:00, 24/05/18 »
I have no friends so I'd have no option than to choose my own name.  ;D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

dank86

« Reply #13 on: 21:08:46, 24/05/18 »
I'll be your friend flying Scotsman 😂

RogerA

« Reply #14 on: 08:07:23, 25/05/18 »
Following the pattern of construction for most aliases and trail names perhaps I could go for something generic and just be called: "Adjective Noun"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy