Author Topic: Making Toast  (Read 2470 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Making Toast
« on: 20:57:43, 24/05/18 »

Simple things please me (well they would !!!)
I have picked up some 2mm stainless steel 'wire' and have been making some pan-stands but then thought :
"I struggle with Toast on a wood stove ending up with 'smoked' black parts and uncooked parts there must be a better way"

Played about for a bit and came up with a couple of simple 'hooks' - the heat from the stove side will toast the bread / pikelet (crumpet if you're from the wrong part of the country) and no carbon.

I'm sure they are not unique but I've never seen any.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Re: Making Toast
« Reply #1 on: 21:34:33, 24/05/18 »
I do like a bit of innovation  :D  Well done  O0

Regards Keith

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:31:02, 24/05/18 »
 O0 Good one.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:19:09, 25/05/18 »
The proof of the pudding/toast?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:20:31, 25/05/18 »

The proof of the pudding/toast?

When the rain stops (hopefully this weekend) we may find out !

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:29:13, 25/05/18 »
This is a bit too Cordon Bleu for me. I will stick to boiling water  ;D

Great idea, if beefy makes one, I don't mind if he carries it  ;)
Hate will never win

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:37:20, 25/05/18 »

This is a bit too Cordon Bleu for me. I will stick to boiling water  ;D

Great idea, if beefy makes one, I don't mind if he carries it  ;)

My 1st effort with 'lightweight' wire weighed 8 grams for the two pieces but I thought it would be a bit flimsy. With the thick (2mm) wire the two pieces weigh 22 grams

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:18:08, 25/05/18 »
When I was young we lived a caravan roaming life. Toast was an everyday part of our breakfast routine. The men used to make long handled (the handle about 15" long) forks out of wire (could be found anywhere on most farms) with a pair of pliers. A bit crude but they worked. The fork end was nearly as broad as a modern day slice of bread with three prongs. On most days when the weather was in our favour it was us kids that had to make an outside fire, or keep the one made the day going all night. We also had another job, we had to find and cut Y shaped bits of wood (6" to 9" long) to balance the fork handle in.

So the fork end was stabbed through the bread (I can't rember ever having sliced bread when I was young) and by a bit of trial and error the fork was balanced so the bread was directly in front of the flames. In those days we only used butter, magarine was unheard of and families were very much into local jams. When toasted the bread was always covered in soot and smut so we all went through the ritual of scaping it off, most important, the knife did not touch the butter and jam until the scraping had been finished. If we made an error it was a real clip around the ears!

When the weather was bad the toast was made in the caravan, using one of the forks, but this time pressing the bread against the grill of the coal fired stoves that were used then. Breakfast was slower on these days because we could only toast one slice at a time.

Every year we used to go to Cranbrook, Kent, hop picking and so on. If any of you know Cranbrook, there is a steep up and down hill by the windmill. At the bottom of the dip, from the direction of Cranbrook school to the windmill, there used to be a local bakery on the right, (a private house now) they made some fantastic bread. Again it was the kids job, at the crack of dawn or soon after, to run down the road, buy X amount of loaves and run back before the bread became cold.

I have fond memories of toast, butter and large mugs of tea first thing in the morning before we all went off to the fields to work. Thanks 'alan de enfield' for bringing this toast memory to my consciousness again.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:24:38, 25/05/18 »
My 1st effort with 'lightweight' wire weighed 8 grams for the two pieces but I thought it would be a bit flimsy. With the thick (2mm) wire the two pieces weigh 22 grams

:) Yes, the lightest weight is not always best.

22 grams, crikey, you will have the ultra lightweight police on here telling you off  ;)

We have boiled eggs for our breakfast when we are out camping. I wonder if beefy can come up with something for us to make toast.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:54:38, 25/05/18 »
:) Yes, the lightest weight is not always best.

22 grams, crikey, you will have the ultra lightweight police on here telling you off  ;)

We have boiled eggs for our breakfast when we are out camping. I wonder if beefy can come up with something for us to make toast.
Already got something ya bogger  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:01:36, 25/05/18 »
Already got something ya bogger  :D

Are you bringing it this weekend then?  :) Toast would be nice with our boiled eggs.

Just thinking we will have to careful we don't set fire to anything with our stove, the fells are quite dry at the moment.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:12:47, 25/05/18 »
Are you bringing it this weekend then?  :) Toast would be nice with our boiled eggs.

Just thinking we will have to careful we don't set fire to anything with our stove, the fells are quite dry at the moment.
I’ll bring it next week
You can carry it it’s only 2kg  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

photonut

« Reply #12 on: 22:34:51, 25/05/18 »
I’ll bring it next week
You can carry it it’s only 2kg  :D

...and you will need a very long extension cable to run it too :D

KimE

« Reply #13 on: 08:01:16, 26/05/18 »

Bread on a stick a favorite for children, pull it out and put butter in the hole.

https://receptfavoriter.se/sites/default/files/styles/large_recipe/public/xpinnbrod_980.jpg.pagespeed.ic.7xGfHDsXV7.jpg

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:21:19, 26/05/18 »
Bread on a stick a favorite for children, pull it out and put butter in the hole.

https://receptfavoriter.se/sites/default/files/styles/large_recipe/public/xpinnbrod_980.jpg.pagespeed.ic.7xGfHDsXV7.jpg

Looks similar to 'dampers'.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy