Author Topic: Trail food?  (Read 5450 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Trail food?
« on: 14:14:36, 04/06/18 »
At the moment I take nature valley biscuits or flapjack bars with me for my midday snacks on my long backpacking trips. I've been thinking that that's quite a lot of sugar. So, I looking for suggestions for savoury alternatives. Something high in energy and able to survive up to two weeks in the bottom of my rucksack without going off or turning into a pile of crumbs. Also most important of all NO NUTS, nuts are poisonous.
Everything I think of fails on the last two points.

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Trail food?
« Reply #1 on: 15:35:31, 04/06/18 »
Do you have a nut allergy or do you just not like them?

Sugar is fine if you eat it during exercise. Long walks are the only time I eat chocolate. My favourite is a Topic which is your worst nightmare by the sounds of it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:43:08, 04/06/18 »
A good quality pork pie would be my choice. If you want to be civilised include a sachet of mustard or sauce.
Nuts aren't poisonous - ask any squirrel.
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:55:07, 04/06/18 »
A good quality pork pie would be my choice.
While I'm extremely fond of pork pies I'm not sure they would survive 2 weeks in the bottom of a rucksack.

More constructively: biltong or similar?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:22:30, 04/06/18 »
While I'm extremely fond of pork pies I'm not sure they would survive 2 weeks in the bottom of a rucksack.

More constructively: biltong or similar?

It would be lucky to survive more than a few hours in mine before it got eaten  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:31:42, 04/06/18 »

It would be lucky to survive more than a few hours in mine before it got eaten  ;)
Likewise.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:48:38, 04/06/18 »
Before you buy another, read the label to see how much saturated fat it contains  :o

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:52:28, 04/06/18 »
Some savoury crackers and a tube of squishy cheese?  (crackers in a little plastic tub wrapped in a paper towel keeps them dry and crumble free).

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:53:32, 04/06/18 »

I would stick with your flap-jacks.
The 75g ones I get from (such as) B&M cost 19p, they weigh 75 grams, have typically 333Kcals, 4 grams of saturated fat and 13.5 grams of sugar.

Being a 'recovered' diabetic (no longer on medication) I do have to take an interest in what I'm eating and find that I am 'walking off' more calories than I am eating. The flap-jacks pose no problem at all (and they taste good)

My typical daily intake is 2000 Kcals and my outgoings approximately 2200-2300 Kcals

Typical days meal Plan :

A number of cups of tea (with sweeteners) during the day.

Breakfast = Porridge
Lunch = Cup -A-Soup &/or 2x Granola bars, or Flapjack (depends on if in the mood to set up the stove)
Evening Meal = De-hydrated meal (typically 800+ Kcals)
Supper = Mug cocoa, 40g bar of chocolate, Flapjack.

There will probably be another flapjack consumed as needed.

My rations are split up into day-packs or 2-day packs and sealed in a foil 'zip-lok bag'. There will generally be an extra bar of choc or flapjack 'above' the planned menu.

I cannot think of any savoury product (apart from nuts) that will survive in the bottom of a pack for a couple of weeks.

Mixed dried fruit ( or even just sultanas, or raisins), are high in carbs & are a good snack-boost for "11's" or "3's"

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:01:19, 04/06/18 »
Or what about a Pepperami?  They're savoury and definitely high in calories/energy.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:03:22, 04/06/18 »
YUK - revolting stuff, as bad as Salami.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:11:23, 04/06/18 »
Lol, I was thinking of savoury, high energy alternatives that don't have nuts in for the OP.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:06:09, 04/06/18 »
Salami is great. :smitten:

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:18:13, 04/06/18 »
Dried fruit is one of my staples, Lidl do a good selection but I also dry apples at home in the autumn, and my home made Biltong/jerky which is about a 10th of the cost of that stuff you buy in little foil bags in the supermarket.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:19:33, 04/06/18 »
I made some cheese flapjacks for my grandson when they came to stay ( he’s 8mths old and not having anything sugary yet). They were quite tasty and you could probably add different herbs/spices to them. Not sure if you can buy them though.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy