Author Topic: Red flags along the path by Crummock Water  (Read 697 times)

wasdalewalker

Red flags along the path by Crummock Water
« on: 23:27:05, 10/06/18 »
Hi All,

Today (10th June 2018) I walked from Lanthwaite Green to Buttermere along the south shore of Crummock Water and was disturbed to see that the whole path had been marked with little red plastic flags every 20 yards or so. This path is well used and perfectly clear to follow so why on earth would someone mark the path in this way? These red plastic flags are a real eyesore and a blot upon the landscape. Try as I might I could not think why on earth someone would do this. Maybe there was some event, like a run or something, which necessitated the path to be marked, but then only contestants who were partially sighted or had some other handicap would not be able to follow the path in its normal state. The flags looked a little like road menders flags - surely this does not mean that the path is due for an unnecessary "upgrade"?

If the flags are necessary for some event, then surely the sensible thing to do would be to put up signs at strategic points saying "Apologies for the intrusion, these flags have been placed as a necessary safety measure for <such-and-such-event> and will be removed by <date>". I saw no such explanatory signs.

Please can someone explain?

Thanks,
Mike the Wasdale Walker

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: Red flags along the path by Crummock Water
« Reply #1 on: 01:01:18, 11/06/18 »
Not all those who wander are lost

wasdalewalker

« Reply #2 on: 02:10:29, 11/06/18 »
Thanks Strider (or should I call you Aragorn),

Still doesn't explain

(a) why contestants in the marathon are incapable of basic route finding

or (b) why there were no notices explaining to the general public why the landscape had been desecrated in this way

Best wishes,
WW

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:29:33, 11/06/18 »
Perhaps you could put those questions to the event organiser via the "contact us" clicky at the bottom of the page in Strider's link   :)   

Whilst they are no doubt a blot on the landscape, they're only a temporary blot and will (hopefully?) be cleared up by the event organiser (along with all the litter from the event) afterwards  O0

It would be interesting to hear their response to your concerns.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:47:15, 11/06/18 »
Saw several of these red flags in and around Little Town (Newlands) today.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:54:12, 11/06/18 »
We also saw red flags and cycle route signs near Ashness Bridge on Saturday. We were actually pleased to see them......and that the flags were leading to where we were not  ;)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy