Author Topic: Citronella candles  (Read 1983 times)

Pennine Way Virgin

Citronella candles
« on: 18:58:31, 12/06/18 »
I am just doing a little last minute preparation before an upcoming trip, and I was wondering if anyone has found citronella candles effective in warding off highland midge?  Any particular brands that work best, any to avoid?

I'm hoping to keep a few in my rucksack that I can burn in the evening whilst setting up and pottering about camp.

Thanks in advance.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Citronella candles
« Reply #1 on: 19:59:18, 12/06/18 »
Probably better of with a bottle of Avon’s Skin So Soft. Deter midges and beautiful skin too!
Solvitur Ambulando

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:50:24, 12/06/18 »
They're all but useless unless used in an encloeen space where the vapour can collect. Better just use repellant and midge nettting. A head net can save your sanity on a bad evening.

Pennine Way Virgin

« Reply #3 on: 00:17:00, 13/06/18 »
I should have clarified that I actually have a bottle of smidge and a midge net that I plan to take along with me.

I was more concerned about trying to prepare food and eat in peace of an evening.  Whilst I am sure the couple of 'free calories' would do me no real harm, I'd still rather my dinner was not saturated in midges lol.  I was hoping that the candles might have been effective at keeping them at bay long enough to cook and eat, as opposed to just away from my skin.  Oh well, I guess midge swarms are all part of the great Scottish experience haha.

Probably better of with a bottle of Avon’s Skin So Soft. Deter midges and beautiful skin too!

Funnily enough, a friend recommended that yesterday.  I may have to give it a try during my next excursion, it is certainly cheaper than smidge.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:29:24, 13/06/18 »
They're not keen on smoke so might be worth trying citronella joss sticks. But I'll bet you'd need to be sitting with the smoke blowing over you to make much difference

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:44:50, 13/06/18 »
A candle or mosquito coil just inside your tent works well. They do make your eyes smart after a while.

I generally light a bit of coil and leave it in the tent while I cook and eat so that the tent is midge free for when I go to bed.
« Last Edit: 11:51:59, 13/06/18 by Owen »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:27:11, 13/06/18 »
Take everything, smidge, midge net, avon skin so soft, citronella the lot  ;)

We find that if you eat marmite (on toast, or in a drink if you can stomach it) for a few days before a trip this also helps. Midges do not like the taste of you if you are full of B Vitamins. Or take a B vitamin supplement for a few days before you go if you hate marmite.

Hate will never win

Pennine Way Virgin

« Reply #7 on: 12:41:02, 13/06/18 »
Take everything, smidge, midge net, avon skin so soft, citronella the lot  ;)

We find that if you eat marmite (on toast, or in a drink if you can stomach it) for a few days before a trip this also helps. Midges do not like the taste of you if you are full of B Vitamins. Or take a B vitamin supplement for a few days before you go if you hate marmite.

I've never heard that before, but if true that is awesome, marmite is a staple of my diet!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:51:06, 13/06/18 »
Used with everything else you can minimise the amount of bites, you won't stop them swarming around you though  :(

We are taking the midge net next time so we can sit outside the tent, if we get another windless overnighter in the Lakes, they don't  happen that often  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:31:20, 13/06/18 »
Good luck
You'll get eaten alive in Crowden, it's the worst I've ever seen apart from Scotland  :o
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Pennine Way Virgin

« Reply #10 on: 18:34:10, 13/06/18 »
It was Scotland I was apprehensive about, have plans to walk the Pennine Way, then catch a train to Milngavie and do the West Highland Way right afterwards.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:43:39, 13/06/18 »
Sodding midges are everywhere  :) Worst in Scotland yes but I actually got less midge bites in Scotland over 3 days than I did in 2 days in the Lakes. That might have been because I was more careful in Scotland with putting on the repellent though.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:01:54, 14/06/18 »
Sodding midges are everywhere  :) Worst in Scotland yes but I actually got less midge bites in Scotland over 3 days than I did in 2 days in the Lakes. That might have been because I was more careful in Scotland with putting on the repellent though.
You were producing more natural gas in Scotland  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Stube

« Reply #13 on: 20:50:31, 14/06/18 »
A few drops of citronella oil on your tent inner is extremely effective in clearing your tent of midges.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:48:30, 15/06/18 »
Do you thinking rubbing yourself in Marmite might work?!  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy