Author Topic: Wild Camping Brecons?  (Read 5211 times)

Raferjefferson

Wild Camping Brecons?
« on: 11:20:29, 17/06/18 »
Hi,

I am having a joint stag and we want to do a wild/semi wild camp in the brecons.

Is this practical?  We just want to have some beers, crack out the guitar and have a good campfire.  Most campsites seen very family based and won't want us hooting until 2am.  There will only be about 6 of us though.

Does anyone have any potential sites? Any farmers known who will accomodate?

Any advice or recommendations welcome.

We could just find a quiet spot away from anywhere and out of sight of main roads.  We are 30s and would be super responsible with the fire, just don't fancy any angry farmers or police turning up when we're drunk!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Camping Brecons?
« Reply #1 on: 12:13:09, 17/06/18 »
Why not just go down the pub! Seems to me to be a lot of messing about, organisation, being uncomfortable and expensive, for just a few beers, getting drunk and a fire! Afterwards, assuming you drive to this place, are you going to sleep under the stars, a lot more organisation if you are and if you haven't got the gear, more expense for everyone! Have you all got well paid jobs? Or will you all drive to your homes tanked up with alcohol? Danger! If you get nabbed for drink driving will your jobs be in jeopardy? What if it rains, a greater chance of sleeping out, or a greater chance of driving home in your cars? Be careful what you wish for is all I can offer.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:32:38, 17/06/18 »
Strictly I believe it is not allowed. However, as a student, before I knew that, I camped at the little lake below Pen y Fan. Very lovely location.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:33:40, 17/06/18 »
I am having a joint stag and we want to do a wild/semi wild camp in the brecons.

Any advice welcome.

Apart from telling you it's not the Brecons but the Brecon Beacons or Beacons, never the Brecons, you mean?  Personally the countryside is not the place for a [censored] up combined with fire, go to a pub or one of your friends or own back garden  O0
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:46:45, 17/06/18 »

Apart from telling you it's not the Brecons but the Brecon Beacons or Beacons, never the Brecons, you mean?  Personally the countryside is not the place for a [censored] up combined with fire, go to a pub or one of your friends or own back garden  O0
100% agree and replied as much in the other thread  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:51:12, 17/06/18 »
Strictly I believe it is not allowed. However, as a student, before I knew that, I camped at the little lake below Pen y Fan. Very lovely location.
You mean Llyn Cwm Llwch but it’s more beneath Corn Du ( The Tommy Jones memorial to be precise) than Pen y Fan, sorry to be pedantic  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Raferjefferson

« Reply #6 on: 18:59:35, 17/06/18 »
Why not just go down the pub! Seems to me to be a lot of messing about, organisation, being uncomfortable and expensive, for just a few beers, getting drunk and a fire! Afterwards, assuming you drive to this place, are you going to sleep under the stars, a lot more organisation if you are and if you haven't got the gear, more expense for everyone! Have you all got well paid jobs? Or will you all drive to your homes tanked up with alcohol? Danger! If you get nabbed for drink driving will your jobs be in jeopardy? What if it rains, a greater chance of sleeping out, or a greater chance of driving home in your cars? Be careful what you wish for is all I can offer.

Why not just go down the pub! Seems to me to be a lot of messing about, organisation, being uncomfortable and expensive, for just a few beers, getting drunk and a fire!  

Going to the pub is a pretty unimaginative stag.

Afterwards, assuming you drive to this place, are you going to sleep under the stars, a lot more organisation if you are and if you haven't got the gear, more expense for everyone!  

Got all the gear, veteran hiker/camper but never wild camped  

Have you all got well paid jobs?  

Yes  

Or will you all drive to your homes tanked up with alcohol?  

We will be there one night and go kayaking the next day.  I can comfortably say no one is going to be so smashed they will be over the limit at say 12 the next day, I assumed it would be implicit that nobody is that stupid.  

Danger! If you get nabbed for drink driving will your jobs be in jeopardy? What if it rains, a greater chance of sleeping out, or a greater chance of driving home in your cars? Be careful what you wish for is all I can offer.  

Unlikely to happen and even if it's borderline we will chip in for a taxi.  I'm 35, not 20!   

Raferjefferson

« Reply #7 on: 19:02:18, 17/06/18 »

Nanny state!

Raferjefferson

« Reply #8 on: 19:08:13, 17/06/18 »
Sensing a reluctance to endorse this idea and a bit of negativity.  Not sure why, presume wild camping is taboo or frowned upon.  Possibly a countryside dweller thing.  Well, this has been absolutely no use whatsoever! 

Quite a lot of farms allow you to camp and build a fire, the more basic campsite.  It's totally legal as well.  I'm quite curious on where the negativity comes from.  Is it some country/townie thing?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:07:01, 17/06/18 »
Probably because most here are serious walkers who have come across the mess left in the countryside by the picture you're painting.  Of course it's quite possible you're the exception to the rule  :-\
Where there's a will ...

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:52:23, 17/06/18 »
You mean Llyn Cwm Llwch but it’s more beneath Corn Du ( The Tommy Jones memorial to be precise) than Pen y Fan, sorry to be pedantic  :)
Indeed.

(And on a side-note have to admit to having skimmed the OP and just saw 'wild camping' and 'brecon beacons'.)
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:28:08, 17/06/18 »
Sensing a reluctance to endorse this idea and a bit of negativity.  Not sure why, presume wild camping is taboo or frowned upon.  Possibly a countryside dweller thing.  Well, this has been absolutely no use whatsoever! 

Quite a lot of farms allow you to camp and build a fire, the more basic campsite.  It's totally legal as well.  I'm quite curious on where the negativity comes from.  Is it some country/townie thing?

It's not the wild camping as such, it's the thought of the potential damage by the irresponsibility of a bunch of drunken lads on a stag do could do to the countryside.  C'mon, you MUST know that lads, on a stag doo that involves alcohol.... it's gonna get messy.

On a possibly more helpful note, why not search for campsites with rally fields, they usually allow noisy, beered up revelry until whatever time everyone passes out blind drunk.  Or, plan your stag do for mid week when campsites will be generally quieter (less occupied) - the owners may relax the 10 or 11pm noise curfew a little if there's nobody else for you to disturb.

Raferjefferson

« Reply #12 on: 06:30:16, 18/06/18 »
Jesus. I've been walking solo for about 20 years, done stretches of the penine way.  I've never so much as left a crisp packet.

Give me a few beers and some male company and I'm suddenly a barn burning fly tipper.

It's 5-6 men, 35-55, wanting to sing a few campfire songs.  We don't watch rugby, or motosport.  Different type of crowd.

Any other day, I'm one of you, excepting perhaps I don't judge people based on the words "men" and "stag" and make a hell of a lot of assumptions.  Yes, I don't see any issue in people having a few beers in the countryside, I'd recommend it.  You might find yourself a bitter malcontent otherwise.

I made it abundantly clear I was trying to do this in a responsible way. 

I'll remember to get my "brecons" and "beacons" right.  What a fun little community this is. 

Raferjefferson

« Reply #13 on: 06:32:06, 18/06/18 »

It's not the wild camping as such, it's the thought of the potential damage by the irresponsibility of a bunch of drunken lads on a stag do could do to the countryside.  C'mon, you MUST know that lads, on a stag doo that involves alcohol.... it's gonna get messy.

On a possibly more helpful note, why not search for campsites with rally fields, they usually allow noisy, beered up revelry until whatever time everyone passes out blind drunk.  Or, plan your stag do for mid week when campsites will be generally quieter (less occupied) - the owners may relax the 10 or 11pm noise curfew a little if there's nobody else for you to disturb.

Lads?  Average age of about 42!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:33:40, 18/06/18 »
Hi,

Is this practical?  We just want to have some beers, crack out the guitar and have a good campfire.  Most campsites seen very family based and won't want us hooting until 2am.  There will only be about 6 of us though.

Does anyone have any potential sites? Any farmers known who will accomodate?

Any advice or recommendations welcome.

We could just find a quiet spot away from anywhere and out of sight of main roads.  We are 30s and would be super responsible with the fire, just don't fancy any angry farmers or police turning up when we're drunk!
I don’t know this area but have you considered a bothy?
No problems having a fire,
They have ready made fire places
And if the weather turns for the worse you can sit comfortably having a beer and a few tunes on the guitar  :)
Whatever you decide to do post us up a few pics or a trip report, be nice to see how you went on  O0

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy