Author Topic: Stuck in the concrete jungle in need of escape!  (Read 8390 times)

JVB

Hi All, so where to start. I have spent most of my life living in London but from a young age have spent most of my holidays/weekends exploring the outdoors. I was in the army for short period where I’d planned on building a career but was cut very short by an incident involving a rabbit hole! (Story for another day). The short time in the military just confirmed how much I love the outdoors. Since then building a new career and family have been my sole focus. Now though I am at a point where I NEED to get back on the trail and get away from the monotonous drone of the city.

So..... exciting times are ahead. I’ve now got all the gear sorted (probably a bit all the gear no idea, but that’s part of the journey) I’ve got time allocated (18-22 July) and I have an ideal destination, Dartmoor.

The aim! 3 days 2/3night on Dartmoor. Push myself a bit and see how the knee holds up, but to explore a part of our amazing countryside and get lost in the wilderness for a few days (relatively speaking).

The problems - first I will be travelling down by train from Paddington. So access to and from the moor via public transport is key.
Second is a viable route/places to camp/must sees and of course a place to enjoy a well earned beer or 3 on my last day.

Any and all input, advice will be massively appreciated and if you fancy joining me for a beer at the end let me know.

Oh... if you have any routes you can share on GPX.

Oh.... walking poles? What’s the deal.

Thanks for reading.
normality never interested me....

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Stuck in the concrete jungle in need of escape!
« Reply #1 on: 12:10:11, 27/06/18 »
Can't help with Dartmoor.  As for poles I don't use them and never plan to unless a medical condition makes them necessary to keep me walking.  Others will give you different views.  My theory is that if you start to rely on poles other muscles weaken, I prefer to make my muscles work so they stay strong.
Where there's a will ...

JVB

« Reply #2 on: 13:15:22, 27/06/18 »
Thanks. Think I’m with you on the poles comment, was just curious why some people love them so much.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:24:46, 27/06/18 »
Thanks. Think I’m with you on the poles comment, was just curious why some people love them so much.

I think (and only think) it is because many people go 'gram mad' and reduce the weight of their tent by so much that they have no tent poles, that leaves the option of cutting your own (from a tree) on arrival at your chosen camp site, or carry waking poles that can be used as tent poles.

Apparently if the weight is not in your pack, it doesn't count.

:D O0

JVB

« Reply #4 on: 13:28:21, 27/06/18 »
Ha pack weight and carry weight are very different things clearly! Walking poles for tent poles. Surely that must be a basha type of setup?

Any ideas for routes? Or best place to start for train access?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:40:17, 27/06/18 »
Ha pack weight and carry weight are very different things clearly! Walking poles for tent poles. Surely that must be a basha type of setup?

No - there are quite a few makes of 'light weight tents' now manufactured to be erected using walking poles.
Couple of examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWzg1xtZOHk

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-hawk-limit-ultra-light-680-double-layer-parallel-chord-1-2-gauze-tent/1686424224.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.10.545f2966Ii73kG&traffic_analysisId=recommend_3035_5_83054_iswinstore&scm=1007.13338.83054.0&pvid=9857632c-28e2-4928-a5cd-8950a138d629&tpp=1

JVB

« Reply #6 on: 14:16:27, 27/06/18 »
Eyes opened.... that changes things. I’ve purchased a tent for now, but I suppose with time I’ll figure out if that’s suitable for me. Could shave about 750g with that setup. What pack weight would you say was sensible for 3 days?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:27:14, 27/06/18 »
Eyes opened.... that changes things. I’ve purchased a tent for now, but I suppose with time I’ll figure out if that’s suitable for me. Could shave about 750g with that setup. What pack weight would you say was sensible for 3 days?

My 2-night, 3-day is 9.3kg (20.4 lbs in real money)
Including food for a full 2 days (4 meals a day), 1.5 litres of water, water filter pump, tent, mattress, sleeping bag, pillow, change of clothes, wash kit, Sat-Nav, Solar battery charger, headlight, 1st aid kit, trowel, toilet paper, washing kit, cooking pans, gas cylinder, gas stove, measuring jug, SS Mug, and a few other bits and bobs.

JVB

« Reply #8 on: 14:34:19, 27/06/18 »
I feel a bit chunky.....  :-[  mmmm my pack is that week for before food and water.

4 meals a day. I’m guessing 2 snacks and 2 mains?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:38:32, 27/06/18 »
I feel a bit chunky.....  :-[  mmmm my pack is that week for before food and water.

4 meals a day. I’m guessing 2 snacks and 2 mains?

I have various meal combinations packed up in 1 & 2 day packets, just select a few and ready to go. - typical 5-day meal plans are :

Breakfast             Lunch                          Dinner                 Supper

Day 1               Porridge           Cup-A-Soup                 ‘Sausage/Beans’      Bar Chocolate
                        Cup of Tea       Twin Granola Bar         2x Portions Mash   Cup of Cocoa
                                                                                                                      Flapjack

Day 2               Porridge           Mug Shotz                     Beef Curry            1x Bar Chocolate
                        Cup of Tea       Twin Granola Bar         Rice                       Cup of Cocoa
                                                                                                                      Flapjack

Day 3               Porridge           Mug Shotz                     Oriental Chicken    Bar Chocolate
                        Cup of Tea       Twin Granola Bar         Rice                       Cup of Cocoa
                                                                                                                      Flapjack

Day 4               Porridge           Cup-A-Soup                 Spaghetti               Bar Chocolate
                        Cup of Tea       Twin Granola Bar         Bolognese             Cup of Cocoa
                                                                                                                     Flapjack

Day 5               Porridge           Cup-A-Soup                 Shepherd’s Pie        Bar Chocolate
                        Cup of Tea       Twin Granola Bar         1x Portions Mash    Cup of Cocoa
                                                                                                                       Flapjack

That works out at ~ 2000Kcals per day.

Then an odd flapjack or 'snacky' stuff to top-up.

Food comes to roughly 500-550g per day.
« Last Edit: 14:42:42, 27/06/18 by alan de enfield »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:12:18, 27/06/18 »

Welcome to the forum, JVB. And good luck with your Dartmoor venture.

Can't help you with trains etc but there must be some busses running on the main road over the moors. The internet s your friend.

I would carry more than 2000 calories a day if you are doing a strenuous walk; 3000 at least; maybe more. That is not to say that Alan is wrong; different people have different needs; you'll just have to work out what works for you. If in doubt, throw in a bit extra high energy density food like nuts or oatcakes; better to be on the safe side (look at the kcal/100g figure; oatkakes are near 500, nuts can be 600+).

Edit - my basic pack weight (without food and water) on a recent overnight trip into the Cairngorms was about 9kg. I wouldn't worry too much about that sort of weight; my 57 year old knees managed just fine on some pretty rough and steep ground. Walking poles are good though if you have knee trouble.
« Last Edit: 16:17:37, 27/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:20:01, 27/06/18 »

You'll find this useful:

http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/about-us-maps/new-camping-map

Edit - just looking at the map, a N-S traverse from Okehampton railway station to Ivybridge railway station leaps out as a possibility. Or in reverse.

Edit 2 - looks like Okehampton trains only run on a Sunday! 
https://www.dartmoorrailway.com/heritage-trains/

Perhaps I had better shut up; what would I know about Dartmoor - I live in Orkney!
« Last Edit: 16:27:40, 27/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:34:47, 27/06/18 »

I would carry more than 2000 calories a day if you are doing a strenuous walk; 3000 at least; maybe more. That is not to say that Alan is wrong; different people have different needs;

Absolutely - we are all different.

I was told that very, very roughly 1 minute of hard &/or fast walking will burn approx. 5Kcals per minute

Google seems to suggest a little less.

Strenuous Walking. For a 130-pound person, walking briskly at a pace of 3.5 mph or walking slowly uphill burns 80 to
90 calories per half-hour or 160 to 180 calories per hour. For a 200-pound person, a 3.5 mph pace burns about
120 calories per half-hour or 240 calories per hour

I guess that adding a pack adds weight and increase Kcal consumed - maybe 5 is more realistic when walking fast with a pack.

I weigh 204 lbs and walk (on the flat) at 3.4 - 3.5 mph with determined effort I can maintain 3.7mph, for maybe 3 miles.

So FOR ME my 2000Kcals = about 8 hours walking

A calorie Vs walking calculator :

https://www.healthline.com/health/calories-burned-walking
« Last Edit: 16:57:24, 27/06/18 by alan de enfield »

JVB

« Reply #13 on: 17:45:57, 27/06/18 »
Thank you for the info. Really helpful, I’d intended on carrying about 1800-2000kcal per day spread over 3 meals and snacks!....
I don’t feel as overweight as I thought,  pack is about 11kg before food and water.
The train stations are helpful too. I plan on returning on a Sunday so may be able to use that station.
Any tips for a first time solo wild camper?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:53:58, 27/06/18 »

Any tips for a first time solo wild camper?

What are your plans for water ?

carry in enough for 3-days ?
use a water filter ? (can you find streams / puddles / rivers  - will they be dry, considering the recent weather ?)
use pub toilets / taps ?
knock on doors ?

You can live without food for a couple of days without any ill effect, but in the temperatures we have been having I would plan on in well in excess of 2 litres per day for drinking, + 'cooking' water & + 'washing' water.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy