Author Topic: C2C - Lessons  (Read 638 times)

johnberman

C2C - Lessons
« on: 12:44:39, 22/07/18 »

So now I have had time to think about my recent C2C I thought I would share my thoughts on what I learnt (to experienced walkers they may be obvious, for me they were not)  These are just lessons and we all had a great time and cant wait for the next trek.

I have posted the report in the LDW Section

Route Planning
Despite reading the forums and detailed planning I made a mistake and booked a B&B for the wrong day - get someone to check your plan

Navigation
We relied entirely on the Coast to Coast Path book by Henry Stedman- in hindsight I was lucky with clear blue skies everyday but had the weather turned in the lake district it could have been very different - for my next walk I’m going to learn to read a map and take a map and compass

Training
So I consider myself fairly healthy but myself and other 2 walkers did some 15 miles walks, however London is pretty flat and whilst the walks were good for overall fitness and boot testing in no way did they prepare us for the Lake District - we should have found some real hills to train on

The Rucksack
So, we camped all the way and naively packed everything bar the Kitchen Sink, why did i pack trainers and flipflops and so on - next time a real careful review of kit and I will only take what I actually NEED

Cash
There are a few places where its cash only - learnt the hard way

Kit
Most of the kit worked well such as the JetBoil and the Water Filter (Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System), tent pegs on the other hand where useless as they bent on the first night.

My final words of Wisdom

In preparing for something like this there is no such thing as a Stupid Question and don’t be afraid to ask

Regards
John B

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C - Lessons
« Reply #1 on: 15:45:34, 22/07/18 »
Having done quite a few LDWs I agree with pretty much all the above  O0

Well done on your achievement though, and a great TR  :)
Where there's a will ...

Gbrunsdon

« Reply #2 on: 18:49:29, 22/07/18 »
hi John - wondered how many days did the walk take you?

- and could you let us have more details re the route you took please...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:39:45, 23/07/18 »
Well done , enjoyed reading your reports, glad I’ve not been doing a long distance walk in this heat!

Can agree with most of your points having done 6 LDWs ( and I’m probably still learning!).

My other half does all the booking as he’s retired but I check and double check first.
Never a good idea to rely entirely on a guidebook.
Training, I sympathise, as I live in flat Suffolk and it’s a good 3.5 hours to get to the nearest decent hills in the Peak district.  We start several months ahead doing short walks and building up to both Saturday and Sunday, carrying our packs and increasing weight ( we B&B), until a couple of weeks before the LDW we walk 2 consecutive days of a couple of miles more than we would be doing at the start of the walk ( to sort of allow for the hills). We also try and have a weekend in the Peak district a few weeks before. Also just try and keep generally fit.  I did have the idea once when I went to the gym of setting the treadmill on its steepest setting and just keep walking on it for ages!  ;D That lasted about ten minutes until I got bored! We do have a road hill near here so I did keep going up and down that quite a few times, I figured that anything helped!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy