Author Topic: Interesting article  (Read 1463 times)

Ronin83

Interesting article
« on: 22:45:55, 25/07/18 »
https://bigthink.com/21st-century-spirituality/habitually-barefoot-kids-have-better-motor-skills.amp

Could barefoot activities be good training for walking?
I try to be barefoot or use 'barefoot shoes' for certain things eg the gym. I feel it helps me regain balance, control, body alignment etc.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Interesting article
« Reply #1 on: 13:38:41, 26/07/18 »
For me, only indoors.

Petrolhead

« Reply #2 on: 14:12:53, 26/07/18 »
Agreed, a very interesting article and well written. Thanks for posting.

I almost never have anything on my feet at home but I can't say I'd fancy traipsing up a rocky trail while barefoot! Probably too late to make such a huge adjustment, I'd have many injuries I'm sure!

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 14:48:48, 26/07/18 »
Agreed, a very interesting article and well written. Thanks for posting.

I almost never have anything on my feet at home but I can't say I'd fancy traipsing up a rocky trail while barefoot! Probably too late to make such a huge adjustment, I'd have many injuries I'm sure!

Oh yeh definitely. I would never try that.
I mean as a training method in a safer, more controlled environment eg the gym, at home etc. Just to improve ankle and foot musculature, balance, coordination etc etc.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:09:54, 26/07/18 »

I mean as a training method in a safer, more controlled environment eg the gym, at home etc. Just to improve ankle and foot musculature, balance, coordination etc etc.
Home yes. Other places, never. Too easy to get verukas and fungal infections. The gyms I used to frequent would only allow bare feet in the shower area which they warned we disinfected.   I wouldn't trust gyms that did not impose that rule.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Petrolhead

« Reply #5 on: 15:54:19, 26/07/18 »

It's given me some food for thought mate for sure. I've had my shoes off at work since reading this, very thankful I'm blessed with completely unsmelly feet, as I'm sure my co-workers are!

:D

Ronin83

« Reply #6 on: 21:15:59, 26/07/18 »

It's given me some food for thought mate for sure. I've had my shoes off at work since reading this, very thankful I'm blessed with completely unsmelly feet, as I'm sure my co-workers are!

:D

Haha, nice one. Wish I could do that at work, steel toes for me, sucks man.
In the gym I wear barefoot/minimal shoes. They have that Japanese Tabi style separate big toe. Works well for balancing exercises

Ronin83

« Reply #7 on: 21:24:40, 26/07/18 »
Home yes. Other places, never. Too easy to get verukas and fungal infections. The gyms I used to frequent would only allow bare feet in the shower area which they warned we disinfected.   I wouldn't trust gyms that did not impose that rule.

See where your coming from and when walking is important to you, the last thing you want is something thats gonna jeopardise that.
Saying that, overall I think we, as a society,  worry too much. Its these artificial, overpopulated environments which create most of the problems(like gyms). Humans were walking in nature barefoot or with minimal shoes for many thousands of years(atleast)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:51:28, 26/07/18 »
I got verukas at the school swimming baths when I was young , I know they use lots of disinfectant now but they still try to be careful.

Never got athletes foot but a mate tells be that it is aggravating to a high degree. but I suppose walking around in clean  thin socks may be OK, unless of course there are those who know different.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 10:55:54, 27/07/18 »

Takes a lot of time to harden the feet to walk on trails; easier if you were raised unshod. [/color]  
The Barefoot Sisters Lucy and Susan walked the Appalachian trail twice-walked south and then turned around and went back. They had always walked on trails near their home barefoot. [/color]  
They did wear boots in the snow as it was so slippery barefoot, they also put on sandals if they wanted to move very fast i.e the Maryland Challenge-to cover the 31 miles to cross the State in a day. They said barefoot they had to be more attentive and agreed they saw more countryside with footwear on.[/color]  

wizz

« Reply #10 on: 16:58:59, 27/07/18 »
I painted a portrait of a female, I asked her if I could paint her in the nude but she said I would have to keep my socks on cos she cant stand mens sweaty feet. :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy