Author Topic: Senior wannabe trekker from California seeks advice  (Read 2828 times)

walkerfromCA

Hello, I hope its fine that I am not a resident of UK, but would love to chat about walking from my far away smoke-filled land of Northern California.  I wish I were walking in UK, but I'll have to in spirit. Me: fallen badly out of shape at 56, and would like to chat with some seniors about how to get in the best shape ever starting now. Is there anybody who can steer me straight? ( don't worry, I do not support Trump!!!) I use to cycle, then I tried to run, now I think its just best if I go with walking. But terribly out of shape and overweight presently, wanting to discover new abilities and best ever health before I'm 60. Thank you in advance.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Senior wannabe trekker from California seeks advice
« Reply #1 on: 15:08:47, 30/07/18 »
Welcome, always happy to hear from the other side of the pond.  Hope you're not too affected by all the wildfires at the moment.

I'll leave others who have faced a similar situation to you to comment on how they went about getting walking fit  :)
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:27:16, 30/07/18 »
Welcome from the Orkney Islands, CA walker!

I'm no professional but I'm qualified to the extent that I am 57. I've been increasing my fitness levels over the last 2-3 years by a bit of light running and swimming, and a LOT of dog walking, rain or shine, as well as forays into the hills when circumstances allow.

My advice is to just start walking; little and often, gradually increasing distances. Listen to your body - take a break of a day or two if you are feeling stiff after a walk.

Also, consider swimming - a good all around exercise that doesn't put any strain on the joints.

Finally, I recommend getting an activity tracker of some sort; plenty of choice out there other than Fitbit. Great for motivation to have a target.

Where in California do you live? I once spent some time working in Petaluma and had some great days out mountain biking on Bolinas Ridge etc; good walking country too. And you've got the Sierra Nevada a bit further south!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:34:12, 30/07/18 »
Due to a rather serious heart problem, I underwent cardiac rehabilitation. This involved lots ( and I mean lots of breathless exercise, under strict supervision) then I was advised to walk at least 4 miles per day. Which thanks to an activity tracker (per RichardH's advice) I did.
I got bored with my regular around town walks, and an old friend reminded me that I used to roam the hills and fields of Northumberland (UK) in my youth and even went to Spain and went over the Pyrenees the hard way. to be honest I had forgotten all about that, so I started doing 6 miles in the country, then got that slowly up to 10, then doing 10 miles back to back, then for three days at a time and gradually I did a 100 mile long distance walk in the relatively flat land of Lincolnshire. Now I have done the Pennine Way and last year did the Camino Frances (500 miles), as well as many other shorter walks.

So in short, start by walking little and often and gradually build up your strength and more important your mental resolve. No need to buy fancy hiking boots boots until you are doing regular mileage and decide that it is for you. or if blisters get to you. ( Do you have Compeed in the USA?, on advice of my chiropodist/podiatrist I rub a mix of Olive oil and T tree oil into my feet and wear wool socks over thin non cotton socks, never had a blister.),)
Use this forum's search facility to look up anything you are unsure about, there are years of great advice. ( OH and there is also some poor advice, but given with good intentions,.) :)
Too little, too late, too bad......

walkerfromCA

« Reply #4 on: 18:27:33, 30/07/18 »
Thanks Sussamb, Richard, and Jimbob. Yes, I am amidst the wildfires, and the smoke is rather unbearable, and heat too. Global warming has made me think to have a plan. If its too hot, too smokey, too whatever... to walk the ridge on which I live, I have decided that its okay to drive to walk, down the mtn 4 miles to a climate which is below the smoke layer and is a lot cooler too. This morning (after I made that first post) I walked 3 miles. Yesterday 2.  Epic for me! I am not fooling myself this time, because although I use to be very athletic, this is a new circumstance and I just have to be humble and go at it like a beginner.
I do appreciate the expert advice from you all here, it is so needed! And, yet , I am so not a gadget person, so I won't be getting the trackers, I am old-school nearly to the extreme, but I figure just joining the forum here is like a great gadget, as I'll be thinking of everybody's advice as I go through my days, planning my walks. I will rememeber that olive & tea tree oil mix trick, but I think I have good enough shoes and socks , the next thing I need is to get rid of my excuses, not one by one, but all at once!
I am from the mountains of the North San Francisco Bay Area (yes, and love Petaluma to bits), in Napa, where its scorching hot like you would not believe. I have always hiked up to the peak, which is a steep walk, and takes about 45 minutes. That use to be my walk, and I use to walk the ridge a lot. Most recently I decided again, but as soon as I started that regimen early June, the heat waves and smoke came. I stopped. The smoke is so bad and the heat unbearable and its only July!
As I want to remain humble, I'm dealing with ego blisters mostly, never been this >>> fat <<< before, and I just am not going to ignore it any longer. Something happens for one reason or another, metabolism, age, whatever, I'm just ready to stop waiting & whining and start walking. I need to do gentle distance I am thinking. Not weight training, not gyms... just walking... slow and long, and most importantly of all, regularly. That will transform me, or at least I think its reasonable to believe it would.

Questions: Would you all suggest I continue every day (mon-thru-fri)  but take the weekend off, or one day? I truthfully have never kept up an every-day regimen ever in my life. To me, it seems reasonable to take the weekend off, and face the miles fresh on Monday. Your opinion?
Thank you,
Jen
« Last Edit: 18:46:54, 30/07/18 by walkerfromCA »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:44:13, 30/07/18 »
I walk a minimum if 4 miles every single day. If needs be I get up early or go out late. However many times I just walk as quickly  as I can around the town .I have three local walks worked out to meet the distance.
A simple pedometer is not over technical but keeping a daily record can be motivational.

You will find the walking easier on your body as time goes on. It is your mind you need to get in charge of. It xan convince you not to go out on rainy,  foggy days. Or stay in and chat with the family etc. Or give up on a walk when you only went half the distance you wanted to.

My motivation was easier than most. I have a huge scar from top to bottom of my chest that reminds me of the need to exercise the heart muscles. Oh it also terrifies young children when  I want the swimming pool to myself. Swimming by the way is a great way to get overweight muscles working without stressing joints etc.

Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:07:39, 30/07/18 »
Many years ago I was a regular walker from local 3-4 miles to 'long distance' (UK long distance, not US long distance), typically 300 miles over a couple of weeks.

Life and work got in the way.

At aged 57 (4 years ago) I was diagnosed as being type 2 diabetic, 75lbs over weight with death-defying Chloesterol levels and was told to sort things out as I'd be dead by the end of the year.

I started eating more sensibly and picked up walking again, for every 'pound' weight I lost I added a 'pound' to my pack, In the following 9 months I lost 56 pounds and decided the pack was getting too heavy to be sensible, so I reduced it back to 50lbs and kept walking. by the end of the year I had lost the 75 pounds and was finding sitting down on a hard chair very uncomfortable as I was all bones and no 'padding'. I slowly allowed my weight to increase by about 14 pounds and was more comfortable.

I was walking between 4 and 10 miles a day 5 or 6 days per week in all temperatures and weather(but did try to avoid rain - I hate being wet)

2 years after the diagnosis I was declared to be no longer diabetic and was taken off the medication, my Chloresterol is now way below that of a 'normal' person but is still a little high for an ex-diabetic.

I still walk the same sort of distances 3 or 4 times a week and manage to get occasional 'nights-out' in the hills when time allows.

The last year has been difficult as Daughter in Law was in a car accident which broke her back in 2-places, Son was in the car as well and following a scan was diagnosed with a Brain tumour so the last year has been a continuing challenge with surgery, Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy for my Son and re-habilitation for the daughter in Law.

They have moved in to live with us but they are looking to start their lives(on their own) again later this year

Anyway - that's my sob-story.

Its easy to find reasons not to do something (exercise) but you need a target to aim for.

Set yourself a 'SMART' target and treat yourself to something special (maybe a trip to England ?) when you achieve it

SMART =

Specific (I will lose 30 lbs)
Measurable ( I am 250 pounds now and will weigh myself every week and monitor the weight loss)
Achievable ( within the set time)
Realistic ( no point in setting an unachievable target - difficult but achievable)
Timed (I will lose the weight within 12 months)

Good luck.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:35:44, 30/07/18 »
 :) 
Hello walkerfromCA.
I would say to get you Into Shape  ;)
 " A little and Often"  to begin with .
Stroll ,Amble, Ramble  when you feel like It .
Then when you get some enthusiasm and want to build up your mileage and leg strength. 
Start thinking Walking Hiking trekking all over a time scale to build yourself up and get confident ,and learn about your body . Also in between Rest recovery and massage muscles when achy and tight. And stretching to get your body supple is also Important .
Gradually you will get able and fit to go further and want to see more and then the big Adventures begins .
So go for It.
Think healthy eat well . Best of Luck , ::)  you can do It
 ;D :o O0
Zizag

walkerfromCA

« Reply #8 on: 23:19:18, 30/07/18 »
Thanks so much everyone! You are all such accomplished goal-achievers! I admire so much of what has been told about yourselves.

Points I'm going with :
1. Go gradually, rest is good.
2. Be easy on myself, not too much - injury is not good.
3. Its more mental than anything, working it into a constant thing.
4. Have a plan for broadening my walking horizons; distance, scenery, social perhaps, but that is not as important to me now, as is just being able to go local 5 miler over the ridge.  Is that enough, or do I really need to have a day a week or so where I just push the mileage?

I wanted to mention , that although I have no health issues now, cancer runs in my genes, so I am afraid I have to crack the whip on myself now --- its do or die in my thinking.   My extra 60 pounds may not come off entirely, but I think I could be happy almost with half that, and who knows, after I become a walker addict, more might come off.  I live in the wild, on a ridge, and my biggest dream is to walk up the ridge, and go over and down to the next county on to the paved road, then back over and home; climbing over 1000 ft elevation (600 up, twice) in 5 miles. Maybe that will be a piece of cake as it once seemed over ten years ago.

My biggest goal is not so much long distance as just intense regular walks near where I live, and be up for the challenge  ( and not be afraid of the mtn lions either.  :-\  )  Maybe go a little further in the next county, but that climb over the ridge is a task!

So I guess my plan for broadening my distance & workout is pretty clear. I know I've done it before, and if it takes all morning that is okay. For now just getting myself to the top of the peak is a big accomplishment, about 600 ft climbed in about 1.5 miles. I will focus on that for the rest of the summer, and when its too hot and/or smokey, I will drive down below the smoke/heat layer, and walk the road in cooler area, pushing for 4 miles. For now just 3 until i get use to that.

In the past I've always pushed myself too hard, thinking its not hard enough, and then I don't keep it up.
So the most difficult thing now is to try to purposely make it easy.
One mile is better than none. Right?
« Last Edit: 23:50:36, 30/07/18 by walkerfromCA »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 06:56:09, 31/07/18 »

Good luck, CA; do keep us informed of how you are getting on, but mind those fires.

And yes; one mile is better than none :)

zuludog

« Reply #10 on: 08:27:00, 31/07/18 »
Hello CA, and welcome to the forum!

You can take some comfort from the fact that you are by no means the first or the only one in your position, but as many of those others have shown, it is possible to do something about it

We all know that sooner or later we will not be able to do the sort of things we did when we were 21
With age comes wisdom, and unfortunately ailments like arthritis, diabetes, cardiac and/or respiratory problems, plus things like booze and depression, and just plain being overweight and unfit. I know first hand how easy it is to just slump and let the weight pile on

It can be done. At my worst & heaviest I was 95kg (209lb) and not doing any walking at all, so I gave myself a stern talking to. After 12 months I'm now 83kg (182lb) and doing 6 miles a day.
I know I'll never be able to do 25 miles a day or 3 or 4 big hills in a day, or be 76kg again, but I'm trying to increase the mileage to 8 or 9, and lose another couple of pounds
The important thing is that if you can only do 6 miles, make damn sure you do actually do them! - or in your case the 3 miles or whatever you can manage, and build it up from there

As another example, I have a friend who did quite hard stuff when he was younger, but now he was "I say 19 stone, but really it was just over 20" ( that's about 280lb)
He started going out regularly again, and also cycling, and got down to 14 stone (196lb)

The usual combination of dieting and exercise is really the only way to achieve this, and if you get fed up it helps if you can dredge up a bit of your ancient hippy zen
For me, the thing that helped was the realisation or acceptance that a walk didn't have to be something major or uphill; getting out for a few miles on local paths & canal banks was still exercise

In case you haven't noticed, the old ideas of traditional heavy walking gear have changed, and we now realise that for a lot of walking we can use lighter gear and footwear, and you will find this makes the walking easier - indeed, it was Americans who started this change. Read Ray Jardine

A bit of retail therapy will cheer you up no end, so treat yourself to some new gear if you feel like it. In your case, as you build up the distance and lose the weight you may well need some new walking trousers - pants to you

Finally, something I often suggest to people is that they get a map of their area and work out their own routes. You will usually find interesting features and routes , though I'm not sure how that will translate to California

Good Luck!

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. I've started doing my Canadian Airforce Exercises again. The idea behind these is that you can do them without any special gym equipment, and that you start at a simple rate depending on your fitness and age, and gradually work up to a level that suits you
Considered a bit old fashioned now, they're still good enough for ordinary mortals such as thee & me

Find them on Google and YouTube
« Last Edit: 09:33:11, 31/07/18 by zuludog »

zuludog

« Reply #11 on: 09:43:15, 31/07/18 »
You might not be able to go hiking in Britain, but you can do it by proxy
Try searching YouTube for some of our long distance trails (well, long for Britain!) like Pennine Way; Coast to Coast; Offa's Dyke; West Highland Way; Cotswold Way; there are others

walkerfromCA

« Reply #12 on: 19:08:39, 31/07/18 »
Thank you all for your great advice! I do want to lose weight primarily, and with walking. I've been scribbling numbers in a chart, sort of seeing what a 'gentle improvement' might look like, if I walk 5x weekly (monday thru friday) and improving 1 mile every 2 weeks. ((( or is that too easy? ))

This is my idea of going from 1 mile 5x weekly, to 4 miles 5x weekly.  Now, I was thinking to incorporate a diet plan to this, rather half-arsed like; each is over a two week period, each week rotating focus on either increasing mileage, or paring back on calories.

Week 1: I push for the extra mile, but I slack on my eating a little (that is, eat what I want, as long as its healthy--my thing is avocados and macadamia nuts!)
Week 2: Is easier physically absorbing the extra mile, but will pare back on the calories, not so much counting, but doing without as much as possible. This way , every other week I work hard either on the diet or the exercise.   I was thinking this is a good plan to increase mileage by 1 mile every two weeks, which I think is very realistic. By the time all 16 of these two-week sequences are over, in theory -- 32 weeks later, I'll be walking 4 miles 5x weekly. What do you all think of my chart? 

1, 1, 1, 1, 1 = 5 mi
2, 1, 1, 1, 1 = 6 mi
2, 2, 1, 1, 1 = 7 mi
2, 2, 2, 1, 1 = 8 mi
3, 2, 2, 1, 1 = 9 mi
3, 2, 1, 2, 2 = 10 mi
3, 2, 1, 2, 3 = 11 mi
4, 2, 3, 2, 1 = 12 mi
4, 2, 3, 2, 2 = 13 mi
4, 2, 3, 2, 3 = 14 mi
4, 2, 3, 3, 3 = 15 mi
4, 4, 3, 3, 3 = 17 mi
4, 4, 4, 3, 3 = 18 mi
4, 4, 4, 4, 3 = 19 mi
4, 4, 4, 4, 4 = 20 mi

Any time I 'slip up' and retrograde, I just pick up where I am... like if I go back to walking - 0 miles - I'll pick up somewhere in the middle, but I really am not accounting for retrograde behavior.  Remember, this is going from an average of say 5 miles per month or less, over a couple of years. So just going out walking 5x weekly in itself is huge! This week so far I've done 5 miles, so I can pick up probably in the 8 mile level, or maybe I ought to be safe , and pair back to 6 miles, taking a day off; tomorrow, and walking 1 mile rest of the week. What do you think? I need to probably start over at 5 mi.  
« Last Edit: 19:21:15, 31/07/18 by walkerfromCA »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:19:51, 31/07/18 »
What do you think?

1, 1, 1, 1, 1 = 5 mi
2, 1, 1, 1, 1 = 6 mi
2, 2, 1, 1, 1 = 7 mi
2, 2, 2, 1, 1 = 8 mi
3, 2, 2, 1, 1 = 9 mi
3, 2, 1, 2, 2 = 10 mi
3, 2, 1, 2, 3 = 11 mi
4, 2, 3, 2, 1 = 12 mi
4, 2, 3, 2, 2 = 13 mi
4, 2, 3, 2, 3 = 14 mi
4, 2, 3, 3, 3 = 15 mi
4, 4, 3, 3, 3 = 17 mi
4, 4, 4, 3, 3 = 18 mi
4, 4, 4, 4, 3 = 19 mi
4, 4, 4, 4, 4 = 20 mi

I think that you are overcomplicating things, to be honest; just get out there and walk, and increase distances as you feel fitter; taking a break when you feel stiff.

It would be a good idea to keep a journal; a record of how many miles you are doing and how you are feeling - and where you are walking.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:22:58, 31/07/18 »

What ever you are comfortable with.
I'd suggest you carry a pack with a bit of weight in it - you need to 'get a sweat-on' and burn some calories (if you don't burn more than you eat you don't lose weight), If you are not sweating you need to work harder / walk faster.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy