Author Topic: OS Map dowloads on Viewranger  (Read 5935 times)

astaman

OS Map dowloads on Viewranger
« on: 22:12:51, 30/07/18 »
Hi,

I have just downloaded the free digital versions of some of my recent 1:25,000 paper maps on to my Smartphone - an interesting and valuable feature of newer maps. I had to download the OS app to load them. However, this app is not nearly as useful a tool as Viewranger which is the one I normally use. Does anyone know if it is possible to open these downloads in Viewranger? Or, are they somehow dedicated to the OS software? Any thoughts?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: OS Map dowloads on Viewranger
« Reply #1 on: 22:19:39, 30/07/18 »
I asked the helpful help desk at VR a couple of years ago and they  had a problem with permissions from OS.
However since then VR is now offering the annual OS subscriptions through their software so maybe they have sorted out that problem.
I have always found communication with VR to be easy and they are very helpful.
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:01:06, 31/07/18 »
I have not used VR so do not know what I am missing.  I do use the OS app regularly and find it really good and simple to use.  What issues do you have with it? 

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:53:04, 31/07/18 »
BusyG , no issues as such. When you buy  a paper OS map you also get a digital version of that map which can be used within the OS app. However VR cannot use those free digital versions as the code to enable them is only recognised by the OS app. They do not synch with VR. At least they didn't two years ago.

astaman

« Reply #4 on: 08:24:35, 31/07/18 »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

jimbob: that's exactly what I needed to know. There's no real point in me trying to figure it out. I am going to subscribe to the annual mapping package on offer anyway. Ta.

BuzyG: like jimbob I don't have a particular issue with the OS app, it looks like a very useful piece of kit and, as you suggest, has the virtue of being straightforward to use. The main thing is that I'm used to VR and it does appear to have a wider range of features such as BuddyBeacon and to report back a wider range of data. However, I've not really explored the OS app fully and there may be more to it than I realise. I've used a range of these apps like VR, Komoot, Strava and so forth for walking and cycling and basically they all work well, each having their relative strengths and weaknesses.

I agree with jimbob that VR is very well supported but that may also be true of others. Thanks again.

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 16:00:12, 31/07/18 »
Well it has to be a gpx file. You can probably convert file type with some program or another, but, well...long and boring.
Viewranger has lots of free routes and the free standard map is pretty good.
Thats the benefit of VR.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:56:26, 31/07/18 »
VR supports OS maps, however OS will not allow them to use the digital codes that come with the paper maps.

Technically I don't believe the maps are GPX files, routes and tracks are but not maps.
VR sell a large amount of OS maps (either as whole areas or as individual tiles.)
I agree I do like the free maps and I also download satellite views into VR for offline use. But I buy what I think I may need in OS format in the UK and whatever the equivalent is in France  and Spain.

VR is now my first choice on a dedicated large screen phone (which doesn't have a SIM), with my ancient Garmin using free maps as my belt and paper/compass as my braces.
Overkill, maybe. I think of the trinity as my comfort blanket.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:56:01, 31/07/18 »
Well it has to be a gpx file. You can probably convert file type with some program or another, but, well...long and boring.
Viewranger has lots of free routes and the free standard map is pretty good.
Thats the benefit of VR.

I may be missing something here.  But You can create import and export gpx really easily to OS apps.  I prepered one for this weekend, in my lunch hour at work today, using walking Highlands site on my work PC.  Then simply emailed it to myself.  As soon as I access the email on my phone or tablet the gpx file is automatically picked up by the OS app and I can view it along side the hundreds of other routes available for free.

So I think the features you enjoy currently are in there.  It's just a question of knowing the app.  I guess we all tend to stick with what we know.  As it's effectively free with the purchase of a paper map, which many, my self included, enjoy collecting,I will stick with OSapps for a while.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:21:10, 31/07/18 »
Horses for courses ain't it?
I have all the OS maps already bought for VR.
I also have many maps for France, Spain and Malta.
I can get plenty of free routes for VR, indeed Sussamb sent me his gpx file for the Pennine Way which I loaded both into my Garmin and VR.
I often plot my own routes using VR on a larger screen PC (eyesight saving) lod onto my account and when I connect any of my other devices it automatically synchronises.
Since I can now pay an annual subscription to VR I xan get access to all OS maps for the same price as OS is doing for its annual subscription . However I don't do that as I have all the OS map tiles I need for my  lifetime (hopefully  I  am mistaken on that point :) )
My wife can track me if I switch on the buddy thingy. Checking other sites comparisons I believe VR is at least as good as if not easier to use and synch for offline use than OS app. Once walking I don't have a SIM in the phone I use so depend solely on the gps signal and my internally stored maps. ( as does the Garmin)

Ronin83

« Reply #9 on: 22:26:09, 31/07/18 »
The main thing with VR is this.
You can get the app and the free map, then download FREE routes through the app or elsewhere and you're off...WITH NO CHARGE AT ALL.
Of course if you're already paying for other maps or something then its swings and roundabouts

Ronin83

« Reply #10 on: 22:33:59, 31/07/18 »
Oh yeh, I wanted to ask...
Is there a way to put two tracks together?
My missus and I both had low battery so she tracked the first half of our walk and I did the second half. Wouldn't mind putting them together.
On VR

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:09:39, 31/07/18 »
My missus and I both had low battery so she tracked the first half of our walk and I did the second half. Wouldn't mind putting them together.
On VR

I think the support team at ViewRanger might be able to do that for you - or at least upload your wife's track recording to your account and vice versa so you would both end up with two consecutive tracks.  I don't think you will be able to do it yourself.  Email them - they are really helpful and respond pretty quickly.

As for using the OS digital downloads on ViewRanger - no you can't.  It's all to do with copyright and licencing.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 00:25:54, 01/08/18 »
Ronin83, export the two tracks a gpx files and then either edit  them in a dedicate gpx editor or even bodge them together in notepad.
Reimport the new gpx file and manually  sort out the "join" if using notepad.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:04:07, 01/08/18 »
I have viewranger for using Lake District, Northumberland, Peak District areas but also have the OS app for other places. Until last night I thought on the OS app you could only download your maps on one device. I have an old tablet where all the maps were downloaded to but I wanted the maps on my new tablet. I logged on to my account on my new tablet and it allowed me to download them onto it O0

Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:37:59, 01/08/18 »
On VR

I manage all my routes/tracks in Garmin's free BaseCamp program on my PC.  It will import and export gpx files, and allow you to edit/join them.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy