Author Topic: Hope valley anyone been here?Will be  (Read 1162 times)

Kmo86

Hope valley anyone been here?Will be
« on: 16:30:18, 07/08/18 »
As I’ve mentioned in long distance walks a group I go to is organising hill walks for some of us to build up to walking the 3 Yorkshire peaks (my idea to walk 3 peaks) we did a 5 mile hill walk end of last month which some didn’t manage and some struggled with. I was fine and determined to manage every walk including 3 Yorkshire peaks. I know it will get hard but it will be interesting to see exactly when I start to struggle.

The next walk is going to be a 10 mile one in hope valley, Sheffield. It will be a bit of a test as I will need to be up early and will be out most of day probably furthest I’ve walked on hills. Have walked further but on flat ground. Any one been here what’s it like also what’s it like for keeping your balance as I think that will be hardest bit for me.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Hope valley anyone been here?Will be
« Reply #1 on: 17:23:45, 07/08/18 »
 I guess that majority of regulars on site have done “chunks” of Hope Valley a time or three...re-walking Kinder Trespass, ascending or descending Jacob’s Ladder, looking for aircraft wreckage, etc, etc are almost rites of passage for walkers.

You could...of course.. find routes where you needed to scramble,etc and maybe find places where balance was really difficult, but most of the main routes aren’t “technical” at all. (Mind you fallen over coming down Jacob’s Ladder a time or three, and fallen in Derwent trying to use stepping stones just outside Hathersage.)

There’s a railway line (running between Sheffield and Manchester) through centre of valley, and reasonable bus services..so you could plan a linear route, without need to get back to car. (That’s what I’ve done on last few visits, doing things like Chinleyto Edale or Edale to Bamford on recent visits.)

Ralph

« Reply #2 on: 17:27:39, 07/08/18 »
Where are you starting your 10 miler & what is your planned route?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:49:26, 07/08/18 »
The Hope Valley has every type of terrain from horizontal roads to vertical rock faces, depends where you are going.

Ralph

« Reply #4 on: 20:03:21, 07/08/18 »
Must add that Lose Hill towards  Hollins Cross means you have to go down Back Tor unless you go low through the wood.Back Tor can be very difficult to descend if not stable on your feet.

Kmo86

« Reply #5 on: 20:43:15, 07/08/18 »
I’m not sure where we will be starting or which route we will be taking. I could ask the man planning it tomorrow. It is possible we will end up going on some tough parts in fact I’d say providing everyone seems ok we probably will as I have gone on about doing this walk I know from past experience he does challenge people to see how much they can manage even tho he is normally on cautious side.

Ralph

« Reply #6 on: 22:08:41, 07/08/18 »
Hope  I can be of some help when you know your starting point, it's  an area I know extremely well.

Kmo86

« Reply #7 on: 15:17:19, 08/08/18 »
Been looking on internet what it’s like at hope valley. Looks good and looks like there is plenty to do there. So not going to have time for everything like caverns. The man organising it still seems bit worried about me managing he’s encouraged me to record longer walks on an app on my phone that he can see what I’ve done. Think it’s more to put his mind to rest. Good thing is I do quite a bit of walking so just need to record it.

I am confident I’ll manage 10 mile easy enough but probably struggle with say 20 mile. Next one will be 15 which I may struggle towards end.

With how much I’ve pushed for these walks I have got to manage them as no one has even thought what would happen if I didn’t. I know I’d want to keep doing same distance til I got used to it but would mess the plan of doing longer walks up with me feeling daft.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #8 on: 16:58:58, 19/08/18 »
It's a nice area with lots of limestone landscape as well as the gritstone over towards Edale. 

If you are worried about slipping, have you considered walking poles?  They also help with your knees on descents. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy