Author Topic: How much training to do for a long distance walk?  (Read 4377 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: How much training to do for a long distance walk?
« Reply #15 on: 20:33:26, 29/09/18 »
Comfortable footwear is essential, that stands to reason especially on a distant walk approaching nearly 200miles in length.
Not having to carry heavy kit will be a real bonus, making your daily mileage of under twenty miles a good target.
As you have set a time limit, your average distance of under twenty miles each day is realistic, but you still have to adjust your plans if the weather is poor.
Still, 194miles in just under two weeks, is a very realistic goal, and should be achievable for someone of your fitness levels.

Rather be walking

« Reply #16 on: 11:37:56, 01/10/18 »
You obviously have enough strength physically to do the walk, but you need to understand that the mental will power to do up to ten hours a day for maybe thirteen days is also important.  It is what lets most people down. At some stage  you will want to pack it all in.

We call it the four day blues, you just bully through it.  :)

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:43:31, 01/10/18 »

I'm another one who doesn't really train for Long Distance Walks, and I find day 3 a bit of a strain but am usually fine after that.
I have never been one for going to the gym, but the year I did, I didn't really find it helped much with walking fitness.  I'm not sure why, but guessed it was to do with the fact that what you do in the gym is steady and rhythmic and on smooth surfaces, and the great outdoors isn't like that.  The best training for walking is walking really, and as everyone else says, getting used to long days and finding the speed you can keep going all day.  Also, finding your daily rhythm.  I like to be up and away early but want to know that my dinner and bed isn't far away by about 5pm.  A friend I did long walks with when I was young couldn't get going before 11 in the morning but was happy carrying on late in the evening.  I could fit in with that 40 years ago but now I really can't, and a beautiful walking partnership ended.

Doddy

« Reply #18 on: 16:19:00, 08/10/18 »
Hike your own hike. Your fitness looks good. I find it is better to walk long (hours) i.e into the evening rather that fast.

IMHO it is important to walk in the training walks with the same gear as you are going to use on the main walk. Introducing a backpack alters the body position and strain on the feet.
I do training walks a couple of weeks before the main trip and often as much as third of the distance of the main walk; and that can mean a 100 miler; on these I find that any issues with body and gear come to light and can be addressed.
I do wild camp on my walks and I am retired so don't have much in the way of time restraints. Just need to agree dates with ErIndoors.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #19 on: 08:13:33, 09/10/18 »
Simulating the real thing by consecutive walks on rough, stony paths - preferably in poor weather - would stand you in good stead. I soak my feet with methylated spirits each evening for a few weeks before setting out. It's a shortcut to toughening the skin, although if your feet get wet you'll probably blister anyway. Take Compeed!
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:33:11, 11/10/18 »
I walk three miles or so most days. I don't do any extra training for long walks.

ilona

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy