Author Topic: Viewranger closing and/or GPS loss  (Read 3123 times)

Ronin83

Viewranger closing and/or GPS loss
« on: 08:59:03, 20/08/18 »
Up until very recently viewranger has been the best app by far for me.
Now its bloody useless. Not viewranger fault tho I think. I contacted them and apparently there is issues known to Google and Huawei. Ive made sure all settings are correct.
I'm using honor view 10 phone.
When hiking I close my screen with viewranger open and on the screen. When I check back it has gone into the app tray. When I open it again it has either jumped to my current point in a straight line or finished my track and started a new one by itself.

Any ideas beyond the obvious guys?
Thanks

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Viewranger closing and/or GPS loss
« Reply #1 on: 15:11:56, 20/08/18 »
Unlikely if these are 'known issues'.
Where there's a will ...

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:29:31, 20/08/18 »
I have used Viewranger quite a bit over the last month or so as I am in a dilemma about whether to replace my Garmin or just use VR.I have to say I have found it totally stable and surprisimgly accurate (I have used it along side the Garmin).I suspect it might be either your phone or something to do with the version of Android on it
For what its worth mine is a Motorola g6 with Android 8.Sometimes worth fuĺly clearing cookies or doing a full reinstall of the app

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:48:55, 20/08/18 »
.... Ive made sure all settings are correct...

...When hiking I close my screen with viewranger open and on the screen. When I check back it has gone into the app tray. When I open it again it has either jumped to my current point in a straight line or finished my track and started a new one by itself....

Do you mean the settings in ViewRanger or your phone?

When I installed VR on my "dedicated GPS phone" I had this problem.  All the time VR was active on my screen it was okay but as soon as I locked the screen or had VR running in the background it got stuck and did the same as you mention - jumped from my last logged location to my current location.

Turns out I needed to change the settings on my phone (not VR) to allow "open" apps to run in the background when the screen is locked.

Might be worth a poke about to see if there's something like that you can change on your phone.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:47:52, 20/08/18 »
What Mel said.
I also have a cheapie android smartphone that I use for VR. No SIM installed.
But that setting took some finding as the cause of that particular problem.
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:46:08, 21/08/18 »
I have used Viewranger quite a bit over the last month or so as I am in a dilemma about whether to replace my Garmin or just use VR.

My 6 year old Etrex 20 has recently failed, the zoom in button no longer works. Just waiting to hear back from Garmin but expecting to have to buy a new one.  I've used VR a lot with Search and Rescue but when I'm walking still prefer my GPS  :)
Where there's a will ...

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:33:06, 21/08/18 »

My 6 year old Etrex 20 has recently failed, the zoom in button no longer works. Just waiting to hear back from Garmin but expecting to have to buy a new one.  I've used VR a lot with Search and Rescue but when I'm walking still prefer my GPS  :)
I prefer GPS as well but I am struggling to read smaller screen.My dilemma is whether I need one badly enough to justify paying for a larger screen model.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:26:22, 21/08/18 »
I have used Viewranger quite a bit over the last month or so as I am in a dilemma about whether to replace my Garmin or just use VR.I have to say I have found it totally stable and surprisimgly accurate (I have used it along side the Garmin).I suspect it might be either your phone or something to do with the version of Android on it
For what its worth mine is a Motorola g6 with Android 8.Sometimes worth fuĺly clearing cookies or doing a full reinstall of the app

That's funny. I've just got a Moto G6 but mine is doing the jumping thing.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:55:41, 21/08/18 »

Garmin must follow this forum. Just heard back from them. I'd expected a sorry we can't help as it's 6 years old but instead for £75, half the price of a new one, they will send me a new one. Result  O0
Where there's a will ...

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:01:11, 21/08/18 »

Garmin must follow this forum. Just heard back from them. I'd expected a sorry we can't help as it's 6 years old but instead for £75, half the price of a new one, they will send me a new one. Result  O0
Excellent but think you deserve it given the number of their customers you have helped over the years

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:02:17, 21/08/18 »

That's funny. I've just got a Moto G6 but mine is doing the jumping thing.
I am giving VR a good workout tomorrow at High Cup so will specifically look out to see if I can replicate the problem

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:51:09, 21/08/18 »
I am giving VR a good workout tomorrow at High Cup so will specifically look out to see if I can replicate the problem

I was out today and it worked ok but then I was recording my path so maybe that keeps the GPS on?

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:41:12, 21/08/18 »

I was out today and it worked ok but then I was recording my path so maybe that keeps the GPS on?

I wonder if that explains it.Certainly I have recorded the track every time I have used it without any problem.

Ronin83

« Reply #13 on: 20:12:54, 21/08/18 »
Cheers guys. I played around with the settings and tried it briefly today. It seemed to work ok, but I had internet. Internet shouldn't be required with a downloaded map though.
We'll see how it goes

Ronin83

« Reply #14 on: 20:15:05, 21/08/18 »

I wonder if that explains it.Certainly I have recorded the track every time I have used it without any problem.

Nah I was recording a track when this was happening, hence it started recording a new track randomly.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy