Author Topic: Where people wear their hip and shoulder belts  (Read 2469 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Where people wear their hip and shoulder belts
« on: 14:12:39, 30/08/18 »
I've never really noticed it before, but as I walked my last Pyrenees walk I noticed that there were quite a few people hiking along with the same rucksack as me, an Osprey Exos 48L. As I looked as they walked ahead, or passed by me, three positions seemed to be the norm. Like me, some tightened their belt just below their hipbones, some tightented them half above and half below their hip bones and I was surprised to see that some people even tightened them above their hip bones, just relying on their squidgy fleshy waists for 'grip'. Some looked most uncomfortable.

As regards the shoulders straps, I wear mine tight and I make the rucksack sculptured to my body shape (I don't want any movement, the rucksack has to be part of me) but some people I observed had yawning gaps between their shoulders and the top straps of the rucksack and their bags wobbled as they walked. Again, to me this looked most odd, uncomfortable and if clambering up or down a steep section they I believe could easily become unbalanced.

Maybe I'm the one doing it wrong?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Where people wear their hip and shoulder belts
« Reply #1 on: 14:22:02, 30/08/18 »
That would make two of us doing it wrong.  I keep my Exos as close as possible to me by tightening everything.  I tighten all the straps on the front as well to stop stuff wobbling about if it's not stuffed fullThe waist strap is same position as yours. On top of hips leads to chafing after a while.So many people on Camino had chafed shoulders and hips due to not sorting out how to  wear pack before they started walking.
Learned my lessons on the Pennine (or should that be Penance) way. An ex soldier doing LEJOG sorted me out.
Too little, too late, too bad......

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:21:43, 30/08/18 »
The Osprey recommended way is at around 1:40 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Et4t4d-26Y

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:34:49, 30/08/18 »
I guess you wear them in whatever way feels comfortable for you.

Personally one of the first things I do when I buy a new pack is to remove or cut the chest strap as I find it quite restricting (usually when I'm gasping for air and regretting that last pork pie  :D )
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:50:08, 30/08/18 »
Personally one of the first things I do when I buy a new pack is to remove or cut the chest strap as I find it quite restricting (usually when I'm gasping for air and regretting that last pork pie  :D )

Glad I'm not alone, then.
Even with the chest strap of mine (Vaude Jura 30) on the loosest setting I'm conscious of the light pressure across the top of my chest each time I inhale and my chest expands. I tend to think "It's part of the design for a good reason, so I'd better use it", but it doesn't take longer than five minutes before I undo it. Perhaps I ought to copy you and cut it off.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:23:26, 30/08/18 »
I wear my Osprey pack as per the video. I find that if I leave the chest strap undone, the shoulder straps don't seem to sit quite right. However, I don't wear the chest strap pulled so tight that it restricts any chest movement, just enough to keep the shoulder straps sitting right and, by adjusting the height of the chest strap on its slides, I can get a comfortable fit whereby I can puff and pant to my heart's content.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:55:31, 30/08/18 »
Strange, I would feel naked without my chest strap, like ninthace, I just pull it till it bites and then everything is well with the world.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:24:43, 30/08/18 »

My waist straps fasten (not tightly) around my waist.  Being female, this allows my rucksack hip fins to drop/rest on my hips.  Very comfortable for me.

As regards the shoulders straps, .....some people I observed had yawning gaps between their shoulders and the top straps of the rucksack and their bags wobbled as they walked. .....this looked most odd, uncomfortable and if clambering up or down a steep section they I believe could easily become unbalanced.

Ha  :D   Now I agree, it looks odd...... however..... on a warm day with a clammy back, I have been known to loosen my shoulder straps (but not the hip ones) to create a "V" shape between my back and the rucksack to allow a bit of airflow to cool me off.  It isn't particularly comfortable and it does feel unwieldy but on a reasonably safe/level/easy path for 5 minutes here and there it's bliss! 

The chest strap thing I think I've only bothered with once when I was having a little clamber scramble up some rocks and the shoulder straps kept splaying.  Other than that, I don't bother with it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:56:03, 30/08/18 »
I wear my Exos as in the video too. The only thing I don't like on the pack is the hip belt, I struggle to get the buckle in the middle, I find the adjusters very fiddly.
Hate will never win

MichaelUK

« Reply #9 on: 21:20:02, 30/08/18 »
I have an Osprey  Atmos 50, an excellent pack. Wear the hip belt half and half and the chest starp pulled in, though not too tight. Follow the wearing guide and the fit to very comfortable. Its very figure hugging and great with heavier weight when out on long hikes.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:48:48, 30/08/18 »
Can't get on with a chest strap either.

Last time a bought a rucksack the very helpful and knowledgeable assistant was desperate to adjust the chest strap for me to get the perfect fit. Told him there was no point as I was never going to use it.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:37:27, 31/08/18 »
I was told by a shop assistant in Fishers, that the chest strap is only to stop the shoulders falling off when you are wearing a slippery coat!
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

bobblebob

« Reply #12 on: 08:36:12, 31/08/18 »
My hip strap fastens level with the top of my hip bone. Apparently it should be lower than this (I got told the hip fins should rest on your hip bone but mine rest half on half off). So I probably should lower the straps abit. Problem is ive always had it like that, never had issues in over 6 years ive had the bag. So im reluctant to change incase it makes it more uncomfortable, even if the way I have it is incorrect

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:06:37, 31/08/18 »
I don't think there is a "correct" and "incorrect".  It's what works for you, and if it's uncomfortable look at the instructions and try another way.  Otherwise, if it ain't broke, why try fix it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:33:52, 01/09/18 »
Surely the main purpose of a padded hip belt on a backpacking rucksack is to transfer a considerable portion of the weight to the hips rather than the shoulders.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy