Author Topic: First Time Hiking in UK-Suggestions on Route  (Read 1924 times)

Douger

First Time Hiking in UK-Suggestions on Route
« on: 13:31:56, 30/10/18 »
I am an American who has been to the UK quite a bit but have not hiked there. I was in school there on and off over a couple years. I know the area well but have not hiked there.  Pretty average hiker back in US with mostly one or two night weekend getaways.  Looking to do a solo 1 or two week hike.  Have been looking at the following:  South Downs Way, Ridgeway, South West Coast Trail.  Looking for 1 week suggestion and two week suggestion.  Would like to finish one of them.  Question-wild camping-I know it is frowned upon but have no problem with it.  How far off the trail do you camp?  Recommended times NOT to go?  Don't mind the cold etc.  Any help would be appreciated.  Great message board by the way and some great You Tube videos.

chriscab

Re: First Time Hiking in UK-Suggestions on Route
« Reply #1 on: 15:32:04, 30/10/18 »
The Dales Way takes about 6 days and has beautiful scenery.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:30:43, 30/10/18 »
Lots to choose from, what time of the year are you planning for? In the North of England the Coast to Coast from St Bees to the North Sea, across the Lake District spring to my mind, or the Cumbria Way, starting at Carlyle and finish in the south of the Lake District. In the middle of the UK the Cotswold Way, Offas Dyke and Glynder Way possibly? In the south the North Downs Way, High Weald Trail and the Sussex Border Path might be a good choice?

My suggestion is to go to www.nationaltrail.co.uk for all of our long distant national trails, or visit www.gps-routes.co.uk, many others displayed here, a lot of county walks identified, some long, others not so.

Last but not least, log into www.bingmaps.com/maps and the UK Ordance Survey maps are displayed completely free.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:20:05, 30/10/18 »
West Highland Way (Scotland)...........6/7 days. Wild camping no problem. Have a look at that one.

Douger

« Reply #4 on: 22:36:48, 30/10/18 »
Outstanding replies. Thank you so much.  Will research and make some plans.  You have an incredible trail system in the UK.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:26:10, 31/10/18 »
With a couple of exceptions, wild camping in England and Wales is frowned upon, whereas in Scotland it is fine, except for some parts of the Loch Lomond national park. More info here - https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/Practical-guide/public/camping
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ron6632

« Reply #6 on: 11:03:27, 07/11/18 »
As a two week hike I can recommend Offa’s Dyke.  Backpacked it all in 13 days apart from two nights, all mostly in official campsites.  Stayed in one B&b and the hostel at Kington/Knighton (always get mixed up between the two places), and camped in the Offa’s Dyke Breweries beer garden.

I’ll look out a link to the blog for my itinerary

https://trailwalker32.wordpress.com/category/long-distance-paths/offas-dyke/

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 12:25:31, 10/12/18 »

I have walked all 19 of the GBNational trails and wild camped the lot with the odd BnB,YHA to shower and do laundry- so sensible solo wild camping should not be an issue.
Recommending one is not easy as I enjoyed them all. The Coast to Coast from St Bees although not a National Trail is good and many visit from abroad to enjoy it and it shows the different types of English countryside. Probably the West Highland Way is the best for grandeau; though it can be rainy. My opinion is that over here the best finish to a walk is at Holy Island on St Cuthberts Way; especially if you overnight on the island.

dank86

« Reply #8 on: 02:20:33, 14/12/18 »
Another shout out for Offa's dyke here, i started it last year but had a gear malfunction so had to stop sadly. Planning on trying again in April. As for time of the year April onwards is my advice

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy