Author Topic: Another tragedy on Ben Nevis  (Read 1725 times)

MarkT

Another tragedy on Ben Nevis
« on: 16:24:07, 12/03/19 »
Another article about an unfortunate incident involving some climbers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47543471

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Another tragedy on Ben Nevis
« Reply #1 on: 18:31:28, 12/03/19 »
It has been a tragic winter in Scotland

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:46:30, 12/03/19 »
Tragic indeed I think that is 7 souls, in recent months in that area. Plus one very lucky lass with a selfie stick.

You have to ask the reasoning of a team climbing anywhere near number 5 gully, a well known avalanche blackspot, in a winter storm, with the avalanche risk at high.

Coincidentally I was looking at the weather report for Ben Nevis, at 11:25 this morning and mentioned to a work colleague, no one would be daft enough to be on Ben Nevis today or Friday, due to the forcast 100+mph wind speed.  His first words to me as I returned from lunch were.  Tragicaly you were wrong two people have died in an avalanche this morning.

Strider

• Veteran Member
Not all those who wander are lost

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:25:38, 12/03/19 »
A sad day in the Highlands. 

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:55:08, 13/03/19 »
 It appears the climbers were two Swiss nationals and two French nationals.The only survivor is a 30 year old Swiss national who is president of the local branch of the Swiss Alphine Club and has been speaking from his hospital bed.I climbed five gully myself forty years ago,albeit as a number two with a very experienced lead climber.Its not difficult but in the conditions we had the other day the snow in the upper part can become very unstable.RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy