Author Topic: Good place to keep your map  (Read 4588 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Good place to keep your map
« Reply #45 on: 10:44:12, 26/04/19 »
Sometimes I think people overcomplicate stuff these days in an effort to make it seem simple - or am I becoming a grumpy old man?

Yes  ;D

I think you're right though, but it's the way all things have gone, there are guides for everything it seems now since I guess there is a demand for it.
Where there's a will ...

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 21:25:51, 26/04/19 »
Sorry. I wasn't claiming that 'route stories' was a formal name. It's just what I call them when teaching. It helps students if they can hang a concept on a name.
Most experienced navigators probably do it subconsciously. Spelling it out helps people progress in that direction by making them think about what they expect to see (and recognise when they see something they shouldn't).

As the terrain differs, so can the story. On this bearing for 500m across the flat snowfield. Then 600m on that bearing, starting to descend halfway along. There should be a little lochan to your left. From there descend the... Etc.

Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 21:38:19, 26/04/19 »
I almost always have those maps printed on plastic these days, so its always in a leg pocket on my trousers as it doesnt matter if it gets wet or not. Paper maps I still love using but they're relegated to the table at home to pore over when I'm planning a walk

R
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 21:44:59, 26/04/19 »
I almost always have those maps printed on plastic these days, so its always in a leg pocket on my trousers as it doesnt matter if it gets wet or not. Paper maps I still love using but they're relegated to the table at home to pore over when I'm planning a walk

R
I went through a phase of using Toughprint waterproof paper.  Trouble was my printer ink wasn't
Solvitur Ambulando

Jim Parkin

« Reply #49 on: 21:51:52, 26/04/19 »
Do you mean hang it on the hip belt or hang it round your neck with the long cord?
I use a piece of shockcord looped on my rucsac strap and with the mapcase tied to the grab handle of my rucsac:
It works pretty well
Mapcase by jimmypippa, on Flickr
Recently I have started using the harveys 1:40,000 ultramaps that are printed on thin plastic and a similar form facto to my phone when folded, so I just keep them in my trouser pocket.  They cover a reasonable area (three for the whole peak district) and are managable in wind due to their size
Review by Chris Townsend here:
http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/2016/05/harvey-ultramaps-reviewed-for-tgo.html
« Last Edit: 21:56:42, 26/04/19 by Jim Parkin »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 22:15:33, 26/04/19 »
Thanks Jim for the map case info.

As for Harveys maps perhaps later I think the OS large scale maps are easier for learning from - maybe I'm wrong it's more of a hunch.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 08:48:23, 27/04/19 »
I went through a phase of using Toughprint waterproof paper.  Trouble was my printer ink wasn't
Another thing I've seen people do mainly on ML or WGL training is laminate their maps - A5 seems to work really well
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 09:04:41, 27/04/19 »
Another thing I've seen people do mainly on ML or WGL training is laminate their maps - A5 seems to work really well

That's a really good idea I should have bought a laminator not OS maps. I have OS maps for now so I'll have to make do but this is something for the future.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #53 on: 20:58:46, 28/04/19 »
Thanks Jim for the map case info.

As for Harveys maps perhaps later I think the OS large scale maps are easier for learning from - maybe I'm wrong it's more of a hunch.
I'd say it depends.  OS Maps *still* feel more familiar, but those 1:40k ones (so slightly larger scale than landranger maps)  are pretty good.  I managed to hit Kinder Gates bang on from Fairbrook Naze, using the Central Peak one and a compass bearing a few weeks ago - I've only just got mine.  It also has some tracks marked that exist on the ground, but not on the OS 1:25k map.  I still tend to take the OS 1:25k map as well for daywalks, but am using it less once I get out of villages. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy