Author Topic: Gore-tex lining  (Read 2912 times)

mrscarpa

Gore-tex lining
« on: 19:56:52, 03/06/07 »
Excuse my ignorance...some boots now-a-days have a gore-tex liner on the inside. I am presuming this is for waterproofing.

What I was wondering, is if the boot is leather then it surely is already waterproof, so why line the inside of the boot lined with gore-tex?

Gregmuzz

Re: Gore-tex lining
« Reply #1 on: 20:00:20, 03/06/07 »
I think maybe the gortex will wick away the moister from your feet and keep it away? just a guess
Holiday Scotland website www.holidayscotland.org

Holiday Scotland Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HolidayScotland

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 09:11:47, 04/06/07 »
My personal opinion is that Gore-tex lining is an excuse for the manufacturers and retailiers to hike (pardon the pun) up the price.

In recent years the price of approach shoes appears to have doubled, and the only difference I can see is that nearly all of them now have Gore-tex lining.    Since I only use these shoes in the summer, it's a total waste, and in fact I go out of my way to buy shoes that don't have such linings.

When it comes to full on walking boots, my perception has been that if they are well looked after they don't let the water in.    The only times I've ever got my feet wet were in snow, which was because I wasn't wearing gaiters and the stuff was going over the ankle cuff, and when I forgot my waterproof overtrousers and the rain ran down my legs into the boots.    Otherwise, I simply use Nikwax from time to time after cleaning my boots and don't have a problem.

I think the problem is that the 'don't walk much but must have all the gear' brigade won't buy anything unless it's got a Gore-tex label on it, with the result that the manufacturers oblige and make a little extra cash while doing it.

The reality is that any additional lining will only increase the likelihood of sweating and therefore make it more likely that your feet will get wet.

Rant over.    But the reality is that while Gore-tex has its place, it has become heavily over-used and at a very significant cost to us consumers.    How about Gore-tex toilet paper?    Gore-tex matches anyone?

S.

mrscarpa

« Reply #3 on: 21:03:38, 04/06/07 »

Im inclined to agree with you snowman. As far as wicking goes, I dont think that is why they have them, where would it wick the moisture to?

The reason why I asked the question in the first place, is that I cant see any reasonable need for gore-tex linings.

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 09:40:57, 05/06/07 »
Absolutely agree with you mrscarpa.

However as discussed in a recent thread elsewhere, there exists out there a large battalion of over-equipped Sunday strollers who have more money than sense and will buy the latest gear because it's there.

And it appears that the manufacturers are quite happy to pander to this fetish by whacking in a bit of Gore-tex and doubling the price.

It annoys me because I tend to use approach shoes for general use, and my choice is rapidly diminishing due to the price increases imposed for a bit of rag I don't want.

S.

peter60

« Reply #5 on: 13:07:11, 30/08/07 »
I have Goretex lined Scarpa Rangers and they have never let in water, even after extremely wet walks. The membrane does help to waterproof the boots and it does wick away moisture, the downside being that it makes the boots rather warm.

Sympatex lining is good too, so Goretex is by no means essential. Whilst leather boots are waterproof if maintained properly, the longevity of their waterproofing depends hugely on the quality of the leather, stitching and fabrication. Basically, you get what you pay for. Buy Scarpa and you shouldn't really need the Goretex lining.

georgef

« Reply #6 on: 19:27:01, 13/05/08 »
I agree with Snowman. I hate membrane lined boots and have struggled to find non-lined boots that fit. I have found that membrane lined boots make my feet very hot and that when water gets in the boots take ages to dry. In addition, I reckon membranes mean the manufacturer can get away with poorer leather and that when the membrane is pierced as it surely will be the boot is likely to leak and the wearer is stuck with all the disadvantages and non of the purported advantage of the membrane.

Rise up, reject the membrane footwear. The "market" requires/demands non-membrane footwear!

pete

« Reply #7 on: 22:04:10, 14/05/08 »
Unlined leather boots are not 100% waterproof and need treating with wax (or for us oldies dubbin) at intervals to keep the water out.With good quality leather it takes quite a while before this happens but this often means a heavier boot.I have found that Event rather than Gortex works better as a boot liner but nowadays even the cheaper boots seem to claim some sort of waterproof/breathable liner.
It must be tea time by now

jason22

« Reply #8 on: 07:58:46, 17/06/08 »
Unlined leather boots are not 100% waterproof and need treating with wax (or for us oldies dubbin) at intervals to keep the water out.With good quality leather it takes quite a while before this happens but this often means a heavier boot.I have found that Event rather than Gortex works better as a boot liner but nowadays even the cheaper boots seem to claim some sort of waterproof/breathable liner.

true unlined leather boots are not waterproof, Event and gore-tex are very similar when it come to waterproofness but when it comes to breathability Event is the leader as it has more pores in the membrane than gore-tex

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy