Author Topic: COMPASS's  (Read 1123 times)

darksky

• Veteran Member
COMPASS's
« on: 12:26:49, 18/09/07 »
 :-\ Ive accidental had my compass packed next to something metal and Ive read that this can ruin your compass.., IS THIS TRUE?  input on this matter would be truly greatfull as I'm off trekking shortly and SHOULD I BUY A NEW COMPASS to be on safe side? thankyou.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

peter60

Re: COMPASS's
« Reply #1 on: 12:38:51, 18/09/07 »
Unless the object was a powerful magnet, it's unlikely to have done any damage.

Just check it by taking an accurate bearing on something like a straight section of road, not forgetting to allow for magnetic variation (printed on OS maps).

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:59:01, 18/09/07 »
 O0 thanks..and i will.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:17:36, 18/09/07 »
Take your compass into a gear shop and compare it with one of their new ones.  I did that when I suspected mine was out, and it was, by about 45 degrees, so I bought the new one.

I commented on this while my purchase was being rung up (the assistant was friendly, and spoke my language, both rare things to find in a London area gear shop these days).  I was asked, had I put it next to a GPS or a mobile phone?  Well, yes, I had, I kept them all in the same small pocket on the top of my daysack!  Not any more I don't, they're kept well apart now.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:06:49, 19/09/07 »
 O0 thanks alot pal, i will do just that,cheers.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy