Author Topic: Solo Walking  (Read 6218 times)

False_Summit_Veteran

Re: Solo Walking
« Reply #30 on: 20:55:28, 05/01/08 »
I'm doing my first solo walk tomorrow.  Nothing too strenuous, but I am starting driving at 5am, not decided whether to do a section of the clwydian way or see if I can get to Betwys-y-Coed and be up to Llyn y Foel at Moel Siabod for sunrise as the spine of the mountain reveals itself in what should be a worthwhile new day rising, according to the forecast.

Either way, better get my head down.  See y'all later.
Any Moel's a goal.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 22:38:20, 05/01/08 »
What a good plan Mr false-summit...etc...  I climbed Moel Siabod last October in a dense fog, which turned out, quite suddenly to be a temperature inversion, complete with a cloud sea. Its a cracking hill.
But 5:30 am? How long has there been a 5:30 AM?
I bet it will be fab anyway...

Nice dog too, by the way (a different thread)  - my hound scoffs everything in  sight too - and a few things that are supposed to be  hidden. We had to put a child lock on the fridge!! He once ate some quite expensive energy bars. And an ounce of pipe tobacco (24 hours at the vets - plus a  big bill - he still owes me for that one)
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Mairi

« Reply #32 on: 05:38:32, 12/01/08 »
I've done quite a lot of solo walking  & solo wild camping in Scotland, not by choice but because being on holiday from Australia I didn't  know any people to go with. As a female, I didn't feel any sense of danger from nutters, only from getting injured and stranded far from help. Now I walk and camp solo by choice, because I've learned to enjoy surrendering to the landscape and weather and really experiencing the sights sounds etc of nature.
I would never do in in Australia, though- too many deadly snakes and the danger of thirst and heatstroke. :crazy2:

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 08:56:24, 12/01/08 »
I'm doing my first solo walk tomorrow.  Nothing too strenuous, but I am starting driving at 5am,

Was wondering how your walk went, FSV?  I did some walking around Betwys-y-Coed years ago, and I seem to recall I started at some God awful time, like 6.00am or something ..

I've done quite a lot of solo walking  & solo wild camping in Scotland, because I've learned to enjoy surrendering to the landscape and weather and really experiencing the sights sounds etc of nature.
I would never do in in Australia, though- too many deadly snakes and the danger of thirst and heatstroke. :crazy2:

Welcome to the forum Mairi, and cheers for the input.  So in what other ways would you say that the UK offers different walking potential than Australia? I do solo walking out of necessity, but would much rather have someone with me.  :)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:36:42, 13/01/08 »
Welcome to the forum from me too Mairi  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mairi

« Reply #35 on: 04:10:30, 20/01/08 »
Hullo Mr Blister and Summitzero, thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I feel I'm among friends.
Re differences between walking in the UK and Australia, wilderness in the UK seems a kinder, gentler place than in Australia. Just a few aspects: you know in the UK that you are never far from water (in Australia you have to carry it with you, even on three-day treks). Our bushfire season lasts six months of the year, and temperatures of 36-38 degrees Centigrade are normal. You can tog up against the cold, but there's no beating the heat. Your wonderful post buses can take you into the countryside to start your walks, whereas we have no public transport outside the towns. I mentioned snakes- the Australian tiger snake bite can kill a man in 30 minutes, and our mosquitoes carry Ross River fever and dengue fever, and soon malaria if the planet keeps heating up.
As someone who has been stuck up to my knees in a Scottish bog and knocked off my feet by a terrifying gale in the Llarig Ghru,  on balance I'd still rather walk in the UK.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy