Author Topic: Ordnance Survey Maps Special Offer  (Read 1801 times)

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
Ordnance Survey Maps Special Offer
« on: 19:54:12, 20/02/08 »
I decided today to replace a couple of ten-years-old OS Explorer maps, because I had found the hard way that one didn't show a new junction on a trunk road, with slip roads, service area and motel where I wanted to walk, while on the other map a car park I wanted to use as the start of a walk had been closed some time ago.

Looking around the Net at map prices, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Ordnance Survey are giving 30% discount if you buy 2 or more maps from them online.  For 1:25,000 Explorer maps, that works out at £5.59 each instead of their usual price of £7.99, and there's no carriage/handling charge.

The offer is only until 29 Feb.  It seems too good to be true, and I do wonder if maybe OS are bringing out later editions, and getting rid of their old stock?  Meanwhile, I've taken advantage of the offer and I've just ordered replacements for two further ones as well. 

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: Ordnance Survey Maps Special Offer
« Reply #1 on: 12:03:19, 21/02/08 »
I have found a few bargains on ebay, £3 for a OL26 map. My local millets charge 7.99, rip off

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:30:19, 23/02/08 »
Following on from my post about the OS maps special offer, my new  maps arrived in the post this morning, just 3 days after ordering.

They are 2006 editions and show all Open Access land, unlike my old ones (but one still shows the car park that I found to be closed on 18 Feb, and it has been closed for some years to judge by the vegetation growing in it).

There was also a free fleece scarf, navy blue, with Ordnance Survey on one end and about 4ft/120cm long.  As I made two separate orders I have two scarves!  With the maps at £5.59 each and no postage, that's what I call a bargain.  (No, I have no connection with OS.)

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 11:55:40, 24/02/08 »
Just a small point - YHA members get a 20% discount on maps from OS.    It's a bit unclear but I think it might only apply to Explorer maps.

I have over 30 UK maps (Explorer and Landranger), which to replace would be pricey to say the least.    So what I do is go to the OS website and use the 'Get a map' option to check that there are no surprises on the route.

S.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:57:28, 24/02/08 »
what I do is go to the OS website and use the 'Get a map' option to check that there are no surprises on the route.

You must have to check a lot of times on Get-a-Map, seeing as how small the squares they show you are! 

Get-a-Map is very useful, though, for checking one particular spot.  Have you noticed it brings up a map quicker if you enter a grid reference, rather than a place name?

Your mention of it gave me the idea of checking the closed car park that is still on my new map, and, yes, it is shown on Get-a-Map too. (If anyone from OS is reading this, it is north-east of Wheathampstead, Herts, at TL185147.)

I am very fortunate in that the main public library in Harrow carries a full range of both 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 OS maps, so any time I go somewhere for just a day or a weekend, which I do quite a bit, with botanical society meetings etc, I simply borrow the maps I need instead of buying them.  The only ones I own are about 8 Explorers for around my local area and the 3 OL's for Snowdonia.

Snowman

« Reply #5 on: 09:32:55, 25/02/08 »
I never said I checked the entire route, and on a 20 mile walk if you use the arrow keys you can simply follow the route quite simply.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy